Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online dating

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

What's for you won't go by you school of philosophy. That's not trite in the slightest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭PandaX9

What's for you won't go by you school of philosophy. That's not trite in the slightest.

At the same time I still believe you have to be proactive. Prince Charming/Cinderella won't be a part of your life if you shy away from people at home and don't make an effort to engage with people :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Yeah you have to put yourself out there alright. You won't catch any fish with your net in the boat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

The living at home thing - it wouldn't bother me. I've lived away from home, but am back now for personal reasons (not finances, not my health, I'm grand!), and I've never had anyone judge me for that. I think most people my age (mid-late twenties) are in a much worse financial position than this age group 10-15 years ago, so it's pretty common.

What about people living on family's land? Is that an issue (for people who don't wanna date someone living at home)? My boyfriend lives on his mother's land. He lives next door to her, in his own home that he built on her land.

I don't see the problem personally because she's deadly :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

A lot of farmers and people in rural areas live on the families land. In places like Italy its common for men to live with the mammy into their 30's. Eastern Europeans generally don't have an issue with it either. There's seems to be more of a stigma with it here and places like the U.S.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I lived with my dad til 25, and it was boss. It was like living with your best friend. So much fun. If my dad was still here I'd probably still live there, not cause I had to but because I really enjoyed it.
    It wouldn't bother me in the slightest as long as they're not disrespecting their parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

I am in my early 40s and have moved into the basement granny flat in my parents. My dad was away in America a lot and my mum needs a carer due to ill health. I was also going back to college so had very little earning potential while studying so I rented my own house out to pay the mortgage, moved into the basement with my youngest son and it has been fantastic. Still have our own wee 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom, large living room and small kitchen but with the added convenience of being able to keep an eye on mum and make sure she is safe.

Dad has now returned for good from Florida and they are considering downsizing. My son is going to uni in September so I am thinking of selling my house, buying an apartment as a base for us here and heading off travelling for a few years.

So while finances did play a little part of my move, it was more to help family. I have my life together, work from home as a freelance writer so I can mind my mammy, raise my son and still earn enough to pay my bills and keep the wolf from the door.

I would hope this would not put someone off as am about to be free of all responsibilities soon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭armaghlad

So I went on Tinder drunk on Friday night...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭Tigger99

And? :D

Tigger99 wrote: »
    And? :D
    Just told a select few females how much of a big ride they were :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭Tigger99

Lol. In those words? Any positive reactions?

Tigger99 wrote: »
    Lol. In those words? Any positive reactions?
    They laughed it off. Pretty harmless I suppose. I'm sure they gathered I wasn't sober sending a message at 4am :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Could have been a lot worse - you sent compliments at least! :pac:

How certain are you all of what you are looking for? Sometimes do you say to yourself "I'd like to meet the man/woman who I'll spend the rest of my life with" or maybe "I'm having too much fun so prefer to keep it casual" or do you have no clue?

I don't have a definite answer myself. I would like to be in a relationship with the right man but I'm open to having fun along the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Ignatius in bloom

Witchie wrote: »
    I am in my early 40s and have moved into the basement granny flat in my parents. My dad was away in America a lot and my mum needs a carer due to ill health. I was also going back to college so had very little earning potential while studying so I rented my own house out to pay the mortgage, moved into the basement with my youngest son and it has been fantastic. Still have our own wee 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom, large living room and small kitchen but with the added convenience of being able to keep an eye on mum and make sure she is safe.

Dad has now returned for good from Florida and they are considering downsizing. My son is going to uni in September so I am thinking of selling my house, buying an apartment as a base for us here and heading off travelling for a few years.

So while finances did play a little part of my move, it was more to help family. I have my life together, work from home as a freelance writer so I can mind my mammy, raise my son and still earn enough to pay my bills and keep the wolf from the door.

I would hope this would not put someone off as am about to be free of all responsibilities soon!

Thats grand but I've dated mid 30's-40 and a lot of them live at home and it put me off, sorry but if you are that age and have no good reason for living at home then it shows a lack of maturity and independence. All lived at home for financial reasons but they all had good jobs and plus if it did go anywhere then it would always be my place that they would end up staying in and i think that would become problematic in many ways in the long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭failinis

How certain are you all of what you are looking for? Sometimes do you say to yourself "I'd like to meet the man/woman who I'll spend the rest of my life with" or maybe "I'm having too much fun so prefer to keep it casual" or do you have no clue?

I don't have a definite answer myself. I would like to be in a relationship with the right man but I'm open to having fun along the way.

I know I will be moving between UK and Ireland for a few years, so not aiming for anything very "serious", unless of course some woman bewitches me.

For now its just seeing what happens - not clinging to "I will find my wife" idea, but would not object :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

"hello girl"
    "HELLO BACK EARTH BASED LIFEFORM!"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

The Raptor wrote: »

Does anyone ever find anyone they click with?

I found a nice lady online 16.5 years ago.

15 years later of we are happily married with two 2 kiddies.

It does work but you have to be honest from day one and look at the big picture.

You have to be lucky too.

We were both at a stage that we wanted to settle down.

I guess you could say we clicked.

She's also very patient and I like to please her.

Sounds a bit sobby but it worked for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭Shint0

Euphemism for...not ready to settle? Open relationship?! Q.E.D. :D

Shint0 wrote: »
    Euphemism for...not ready to settle? Open relationship?! Q.E.D. :D

Jaysus no. I'd rather eat my toenails than be part of an open relationship. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

I'm looking for people who pique my interest with a view to a long term relationship. I guess the having fun part will happen, they will be the ones who start out as prospects and then for whatever reason it ends.

There has to be a connection to start it. I wouldn't be looking for just fun but I'm sure I will have some. It's the way of the world.

I'd be a quality, not quantity type.

Jaysus no. I'd rather eat my toenails than be part of an open relationship. :)

Only kidding, Persepoly, but I'm sure it floats some people's boat

FortySeven wrote: »
    I'm looking for people who pique my interest with a view to a long term relationship. I guess the having fun part will happen, they will be the ones who start out as prospects and then for whatever reason it ends.

There has to be a connection to start it. I wouldn't be looking for just fun but I'm sure I will have some. It's the way of the world.

I'd be a quality, not quantity type.

I would like all of the fun and the love and the connection. With the one person.

A married friend of mine told me that all that matters is whether or not he puts out the bins :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

After my big emotional friend post on Friday, I'm after having a great weekend.

I didn't open up to the guy, I don't think it's necessary to lay everything out because I asked if he'd go to the park with me (and a few others) and he seemed disappointed he couldn't make it because of work. I did ask some other people to go, while the weather was nice, and we met up yesterday afternoon and spend some time on the grass in the sun. Then we went to the pub, and watched the Eurovision, and drank some beers. I was broke, but someone covered me. I'm just getting to know him better, but he actually treats me well, so that's great.

I'm totally chilled out now. Friends have become slightly better friends. I'm still chatting to people online, but it doesn't look like much is happening for me. If it takes off, great, if not I'll still have days in the park, and drinks at night.

Shint0 wrote: »
    Only kidding, Persepoly, but I'm sure it floats some people's boat

Oh it most definitely does! In fact I've received quite a few messages online from men in open relationships looking to expand :)

Thats grand but I've dated mid 30's-40 and a lot of them live at home and it put me off, sorry but if you are that age and have no good reason for living at home then it shows a lack of maturity and independence. All lived at home for financial reasons but they all had good jobs and plus if it did go anywhere then it would always be my place that they would end up staying in and i think that would become problematic in many ways in the long term.

Harsh.

I would like all of the fun and the love and the connection. With the one person.

A married friend of mine told me that all that matters is whether or not he puts out the bins :)

You forgot mow the grass. Mow the grass is a biggie I can assure you. Failure to do so can otherwise fall under the category of 'irreconcilable differences'.

Oh it most definitely does! In fact I've received quite a few messages online from men in open relationships looking to expand :)

Badabing badaboom :D

If you are a fraction as alluring in real life as you are online then I'm 100% confident you will find who you are looking for.

Not sure about a binman though, terrible smell off 'em. :)

• Advertisement

You really do need high self esteem to be comfortable with open relationships, they are fantastic though when two people meet who are comfortable with it.

I'm not sure about that. Well I don't know.
    Personally I have healthy self esteem but I couldn't share the man I love with another woman. So I don't know really.

That's two "I don't know's". It means I haven't a clue what I'm talking about :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement