Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online dating

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭Shint0

:confused:

Esel's gibberish always makes sense. You just need a special pair of filter glasses to decode it. (Not to be found in any Specsavers near you.)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,829 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Shint0 wrote: »
    Do people find with online dating it's almost like video killed the radio star. Has it almost overtaken real life dating in the way it has evolved over the last decade or more.

I love my online world, and if the dating bit could match the rest it'd be great!

But ...

Sunday night, finished an energetic couple's dance up near the stage, turned around to head for the open air to cool down and I hear a "Hey, bon soir!" directed at me and right there in front of me is The One, someone I've fancied like crazy for about two years, but only see her about once every six months. No online experience can beat that! :cool:

On the other hand, at least with OD, you know that the other person is available, and don't have to wrack your brain all night trying to think of ways of finding out if she's in a happy, stable relationship? And then suffering two days of "awfekkitwhydidn'tIsay ..." :o

How do you ask a thrity/forty-something woman with a child, someone that you know "quite well" but not "well enough" if she's got a man in her life? In such a way as to be able to follow it up with a display of "intent"? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,637 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

How do you ask a thrity/forty-something woman with a child, someone that you know "quite well" but not "well enough" if she's got a man in her life? In such a way as to be able to follow it up with a display of "intent"?

You say something like, "Hey, would you be interested in going out sometime?"

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭bluestrattos

+1 on this.

I think, in general, women after 30's --> 40's are no longer teenagers, so less patience for games, except the ones where ... :wink:

ps: where can i found such specimens?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,829 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Yeah, but when you're already out? Hand-in-hand, arms wrapped around each other, but you still don't know whether she just likes dancing with you or is too polite to say no* ... :confused:

In any case, I'm 600km away now; next time I'm back in my/her neck of the woods she'll be 300km away; and the time after that she'll be cycling to Berlin

(* mind you, she didn't say 'no' a lot of times! :pac: )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭Shint0

Sunday night, finished an energetic couple's dance up near the stage, turned around to head for the open air to cool down and I hear a "Hey, bon soir!" directed at me and right there in front of me is The One, someone I've fancied like crazy for about two years, but only see her about once every six months. No online experience can beat that! :cool:

On the other hand, at least with OD, you know that the other person is available, and don't have to wrack your brain all night trying to think of ways of finding out if she's in a happy, stable relationship? And then suffering two days of "awfekkitwhydidn'tIsay ..." :o

"Wanted by many,
    Taken by none.
    Talking to some.
    Just waiting for one."

Waiting. Never, ever a good life strategy.

Shint0 wrote: »
    "Wanted by many,
    Taken by none.
    Talking to some.
    Just waiting for one."

Waiting. Never, ever a good life strategy.

Damn! That's probably the most wisest thing I'll hear all day :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 45 gourcuff28

I honestly don't know how ''ugly'' people survive on Tinder, is it literally like zero matches a week? Standards on their are insane

I honestly don't know how ''ugly'' people survive on Tinder, is it literally like zero matches a week? Standards on their are insane.

gourcuff28 wrote: »
    I honestly don't know how ''ugly'' people survive on Tinder, is it literally like zero matches a week? Standards on their are insane

we don't! we cry, and once we're done, we uninstall Tinder, and we go back to the corner, sobbing like a 3 year old.
    After that, it's ice cream time, where you eat it until we hate ourselves.
    it's a sad sad sad vicious circle!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Vex Willems

I honestly don't know how ''ugly'' people survive on Tinder, is it literally like zero matches a week? Standards on their are insane.

at least the bots like us!

we don't! we cry, and once we're done, we uninstall Tinder, and we go back to the corner, sobbing like a 3 year old.
    After that, it's ice cream time, where you eat it until we hate ourselves.
    it's a sad sad sad vicious circle!!

Its a joke, standards are through the roof today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

I've a head like a melted welly....but get on ok (use it v.rarely...kinda too busy for it)

But I am one of those rare folks who actually filled out a profile

I've a head like a melted welly....but get on ok (use it v.rarely...kinda too busy for it)

But I am one of those rare folks who actually filled out a profile

Girls don't care about profile(unless its your side profile) they want the male models, the tatted up bad boy, the 6 foot 2 rugby player.

Its a joke, standards are through the roof today.

Standards? Apparently beggars can be choosers :) Jokes aside,
    I was having a similar discussion with a friend of mine, and we even talked about Venn diagrams theory for the matters of dating.

To be fair, I don't think I ask for much or maybe I am, and why not aask a bunch of strangers what do they think about my criteria?

non-smoking
    understand that it's ok to not finish a bottle of wine
    good understanding of humor, sarcasm and irony
    no orange people/fake tan - the more natural the better
    less makeup the better
    smart/intelligent
    cats - never trust a person who doesn't like them
    bonus:fan of karaoke

Girls don't care about profile(unless its your side profile) they want the male models, the tatted up bad boy, the 6 foot 2 rugby player.

You're spot on.

That's exactly what we want. Every single one of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,440 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I was having a similar discussion with a friend of mine, and we even talked about Venn diagrams theory for the matters of dating.

To be fair, I don't think I ask for much or maybe I am, and why not aask a bunch of strangers what do they think about my criteria?

non-smoking
    less makeup the better
    smart/intelligent

maybe skip the second item. that's just crazy talk.

non-smoking
    less makeup the better
    smart/intelligent

I would leave out your requirements regarding looks. So how about ;

I'm not a smoker and it would be great if you weren't either.
    Humour is important to me. If you can appreciate sarcasm and irony then all the better.
    Cats! How can a person not like cats??Do you have no soul?! :D
    Be handy if you could belt out a few karaoke tunes as well.

So your list is no longer like a list. It's broken up a little.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

ah lads! A list? Tis not asos you're on with the refine function!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Do you state your criteria in your profile? I'd run a mile, tbh. I find it a bit off-putting when someone's got a long list of things that you must comply with before they will consider you - huge turn off.

It's fine to have preferences of course*, but a checklist? Not so much. IMO obviously.

(*preferences that you keep to yourself or state nicely as Perse did. It helps to be able to see past your preferences too though)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

No, no! You've got it all wrong. We're all looking for a guy who gives off an air of bitterness, and judges the entire female population as superficial and shallow.

That's us, every single woman in the country, bar none.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

And men want the blowjob lips, the skinny waist, the big chest and a face from the cover of vogue.

Except for the ones that don't. I couldn't be bothered with someone who cared too much about their appearance and I'm sure there are women out there who also can't be bothered with the vanity workouts and constant grooming and bad boy attitude of their man.

It's all so very superficial. Maybe it's just me but beauty comes from within. As does masculinity. There are some fine examples. Look at Katie price, body and face classicaly exemplary but ugly, ugly person inside. Ben kingsley is short, bald and wiry but he oozes masculinity.

I know a guy at work using tinder. He broke up with his partner the same time as me, he has had sex with so many girls from tinder since then it is incredible. He has lost so much weight he looks like he is on drugs and he is no looker, no tats, no bad boy look. He just says yes to everyone. He's always telling me to get on tinder but I'm not looking for visual rides. I'm looking for a mental connection. I'm up for a bit of sexy fun as much as the next man but not like that. There has to be some connection.

I am a bit odd though I suppose. The funny part is that I have tattoos (I hate them) I have the good, taught body, I'm tall and I was a very bad boy a good bit of my youth and early adult life. I just grew out of it. Became a good man somewhere along the line. Great for me but not attractive to a lot of ladies.

Still. I'm a great catch, that's all I need to know. I doubt there isn't someone out there for me. It might help if I created some proper profiles but I'm not in a panic yet. When I get to the sexually deprived walking hardon stage perhaps I'll make more of an effort. :)

maudgonner wrote: »
    No, no! You've got it all wrong. We're all looking for a guy who gives off an air of bitterness, and judges the entire female population as superficial and shallow.

I don't blame women, its the game and the ball is in their court. Its GENETICS, girls want the best genes they can get, why settle for a burger when you can be having steak?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 976 ✭✭✭beach_walker

FortySeven wrote: »
    he has had sex with so many girls from tinder since then it is incredible. He has lost so much weight...

Sounds like he's got The Bug.

I am a bit odd though I suppose. The funny part is that I have tattoos (I hate them)

I love them :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭Tigger99

non-smoking
    less makeup the better
    smart/intelligent

That describes me to a tee, especially the wine bit but if I saw your profile I'd never message you as it comes across as if you are quite judgemental. And yes I know we all can be to a degree but we don't necessarily advertise it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭Tigger99

maudgonner wrote: »

:D:D

Thank you.

I love them :D

Stop it you! :)

Sounds like he's got The Bug.

The syphilis bug?

A good chance of it to be fair.

• Advertisement

Stop it you! :)