Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online dating

Options

Comments

Perhaps perhaps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Jaysus come on. Cow? Petty bitch? Sure she handled herself badly but I doubt any of us are exceptional daters complete with a 100% zen like ability to handle everything life throws at us.

Sure we've probably all had a little rage to ourselves or to a friend when we get rejected, but actually sending a message like that is a horrible thing to do

• Registered Users Posts: 6,829 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

I'd have ye all around for drinks mid-July when I've got the use of a château and the beer-tents to go with it! :D

Free condoms too.

But ye're probably all too busy. :(

I'd have ye all around for drinks mid-July when I've got the use of a château and the beer-tents to go with it! :D

Free condoms too.

Pick me! Pick me!! :D

Sure we've probably all had a little rage to ourselves or to a friend when we get rejected, but actually sending a message like that is a horrible thing to do

Ya. Jaysus I don't know what's wrong with me tonight :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Usually find wine and drunk sex sorts out evening grumpiness. Mostly wine though.

Usually find wine and drunk sex sorts out evening grumpiness. Mostly wine though.

Both would do very nicely indeed :) I might go to the shop.

I'm trying to figure out a poll for the beers thread. If anyone knows how to make three polls for the one thread tell me please :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

If I start a thread on After Hours suggesting a beers night but specifying that it's a singles night then that wouldn't be very inclusive of the rest of the forum.

I don't like cliques and I really don't want this thread to turn in to one. So I'm in danger of backseat modding here but I'm going to suggest we use pm's for any kind of meet up that just includes the posters here.

Ok Persepoly but how we know about the meeting?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

There was a really nice guy I was messaging last week. We'd only sent maybe ten or twelve messages back or forth, but he could hold a conversation and the messages were detailed. The past few days have been turmoil though, up all night every night, running around trying to get to doctors, big changes in medication, and I'm sitting here feeling absolutely in bits. I know I should message him, and say I'm just going through a bad patch, and want to keep talking in a few days. But at the moment the thought of actual dating, or trying to hold a conversation, or even the idea of leaving the house would have me keel over.

If he's as nice as he seems he'll be fine with it, and understand. But for now I just feel so crappy, and ugly, and out-of-it that I gotta concentrate on me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Both would do very nicely indeed :) I might go to the shop.

I'm trying to figure out a poll for the beers thread. If anyone knows how to make three polls for the one thread tell me please :)

Not possible. It's best to do it one by one. City, date and venue, not sure what order would be best.

• Advertisement

Maybe start with one poll. Location.
    Then that eliminates people who won't come and then people who are interested can then choose a date that suits them. Eg.

4th June - Peruke and Periwig
    4th June - House
    4th June - Cocktail Club

11th June - location 1
    11th June - location 2

Etc etc rather than shoehorning them all in to the one?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,829 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Pick me! Pick me!! :D

Done.

Now you won't go getting jealous if my Swiss Fancy from last weekend turns up too, will you? If it comes to it, I can set you up with a guy who wears a hand-woven llama's wool trousers and smells ecological. :cool:

Right I just opened a thread there.

Maybe one of the mods could sticky it at the top of the first page?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Right I just opened a thread there.

What's the thread called please?

fin12 wrote: »
    What's the thread called please?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057602444

I can already tell it's going to be a roaring success.

In the unlikely event it's on a Sunday I could prob go. I work sats and don't finish til about 5:30 so wouldn't be ready to go out til about 10 :( clear run at a days drinking on a Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Jaysus come on. Cow? Petty bitch? Sure she handled herself badly but I doubt any of us are exceptional daters complete with a 100% zen like ability to handle everything life throws at us.

deliberately going and messaging somebody to tell them theyre unattractive is an extremely low and awful thing to do, very few people do this theres really no defending her actions

wakka12 wrote: »
    deliberately going and messaging somebody to tell them theyre unattractive is an extremely low and awful thing to do, very few people do this theres really no defending her actions

I've already seen sense if you'd like to read back.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

I got a message from a lady to which I replied with thanks but don't think it would work, she replied saying, no worries effectively.
    Later that day I uploaded my first picture. Next thing I received a mail from previous lady saying "I see you uploaded a pic. You're not my type anyway".
    Self-esteem is somewhere 3 floors below me.
    Good example of why it's better to just not reply in those cases. It opens the door for responses as a correspondence was created rather than just an ambiguous silence.

It's hilariously petty of her to have done that, remarkable lack of tact. I'd really struggle not to respond with some personal jab back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

Been trying one of the paid sites recently (thankfully I got it real cheap), just so most of the time wasters will (hopefully) be weeded out.

Received a smile from one girl a while back. I figured this might be her way of letting me know she'd like to start a chat. Nope!. I sent a simple enough message, asking about one of her hobbies as we had some common interests.... and stonewalled. No response so I'm left scratching my head a little about this whole thing. I know nobody is entitled to a response on these things but you would think receiving something like that would be a signal to engage in conversation.

Sent out my fair share of messages too with no responses which is grand, used to that anyway. Good thing there's still real life meeting with people to balance this whole OD malarkey
    Many paid sites are full of bots/fake-accounts, that are just there to bait you and keep your subscription.

Many paid sites are full of bots/fake-accounts, that are just there to bait you and keep your subscription.
    Yup, I've been a bit surprised that I've had to explain a few times to people how logically it makes no sense that a site no one knows will have enough users to be worth considering, and if it does have loads then it's probably somewhat suspect.

Match is the one people who are looking for something serious pay for
    Tinder is the one tons of people use, but has those tinder restrictions
    OKCupid is the free one mostly used by twentysomethings(?), seems on the wane
    Plenty of Fish is a hell hole that seems to be pretty popular but I've never actually encountered anyone in reality who has done more on it than register and delete their account within half an hour because of the horrific UX

There's some others with interesting concepts and whathaveyou but unless you're living in some huge city, they're not gonna be worth bothering with

If all else fails, check out the personals section of the Farmers Journal

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

I got a message from a lady to which I replied with thanks but don't think it would work, she replied saying, no worries effectively.
    Later that day I uploaded my first picture. Next thing I received a mail from previous lady saying "I see you uploaded a pic. You're not my type anyway".

Well, yeah you aren't my type. Get over it*

*It wasn't really me

Free condoms too.

Count me in.
    Lyaiera wrote: »
    There was a really nice guy I was messaging last week. We'd only sent maybe ten or twelve messages back or forth, but he could hold a conversation and the messages were detailed. The past few days have been turmoil though, up all night every night, running around trying to get to doctors, big changes in medication, and I'm sitting here feeling absolutely in bits. I know I should message him, and say I'm just going through a bad patch, and want to keep talking in a few days. But at the moment the thought of actual dating, or trying to hold a conversation, or even the idea of leaving the house would have me keel over.

If he's as nice as he seems he'll be fine with it, and understand. But for now I just feel so crappy, and ugly, and out-of-it that I gotta concentrate on me.

Hey you, look after yourself please, we need ya in this parish. But I would send him a quick message either tonight or when you are feeling a little better coz it is a horrible feeling to think someone you were getting on well with has just disappeared.
    Plenty of Fish is a hell hole that seems to be pretty popular but I've never actually encountered anyone in reality who has done more on it than register and delete their account within half an hour because of the horrific UX

If all else fails, check out the personals section of the Farmers Journal

One of my mates regularly goes on dates from POF and seems to be almost addicted to the site. I agree it is horrible. I have an account but haven't been on it for at least a year.

As for the Farmers Journal.....nah.

Lyaiera wrote: »

You mind yourself Lyaiera. You are more important than dating :) x

Witchie wrote: »
    As for the Farmers Journal.....nah.
    Your loss, think of all that potential acreage you could get a slice of!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭Jack Killian

Bullet dodged in fairness. No need for you to have low self-esteem because of someone who couldn't handle (polite and considerate) rejection.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Joined Tinder a couple of days ago. Had two matches so far; let's say I got more conversation out of the bot. I think the app is broke. Yeah, that's it. That, or I'm hideous and boring.... I'm not hideous and boring right? Right?.... Anyone?

cantdecide wrote: »
    Joined Tinder a couple of days ago. Had two matches so far; let's say I got more conversation out of the bot. I think the app is broke. Yeah, that's it. That, or I'm hideous and boring.... I'm not hideous and boring right? Right?.... Anyone?

Come to the beer night and we'll find out.

:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭BlondeMoment

Sorry to be graphic but....uuggghhhhh Tinder can suck my balls!

Im taking a break from it, fed up of it all.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement