Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online dating

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Hagar7

armaghlad wrote: »
    Went on a first date Thurs night, and got some very mixed signals..

Date went grand, chatted away, got on good, had food and a few drinks.

I left her home... we kissed in the car and things escalated slightly (let's just say she shook hands with the president) while we waited on her friend returning as they were going away for the weekend on Friday morning...

I have not heard from her since!? Other than a snapchat; she never replied to my whatsapp on Thurs night... I find that really weird. I've been ghosted (and been the "ghoster" myself) before and I would normally just say ah feck it and move on but never has it happened in this manner #confused

Tell her Youve won the jackpot on the Euromillions,she'll be with you in jig time.

A bouncy castle may be appropriate:)

Now there's an idea.

Hey a bouncy castle speed dating night! :pac:

I think an auld drop of tae and a few chocolate biscuits are in order?

Come in to my special sitting room. It has stress balls, glass bottles (for throwing, I like that) and hugs.
    Stress what !!!

Hagar7 wrote: »
    Stress what !!!

Balls for squeezing :p

• Registered Users Posts: 25,555 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

A bouncy castle may be appropriate:)

Ok NOW I'm in :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Silverman.

Her friends are in the same boat. They see the side she wants them to see. Bet his friends would have a completely different set of opinions.

These arguments make no sense.
    You have met a woman before? They share EVERYTHING.

How many people on this thread are actually single and actively online dating?
    I'm single , gave online a little break but am ready to give it another go now.

There's a lot of attached people on here?
    Is there anyone late 30s / early 40s online at the moment?
    Which sites do ye find the best?

It's nice weather for dates. Who knows what the weeks ahead will bring.

Maybe this time next year a few of you will be posting about your upcoming nuptuals :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

bubblypop wrote: »

only on tinder and sporadically too. have a date this week mind.. no form for it though..:o

30's fwiw

northgirl wrote:
    30's fwiw

Is it bad that I'm younger and had to Google fwiw :D

• Advertisement

northgirl wrote: »
    only on tinder and sporadically too. have a date this week mind.. no form for it though..:o

30's fwiw

Yea tinder seems to have taken over, unfortunately I can't do tinder!
    Don't do Facebook & don't intend to start to get on tinder!

Seems other online sites are falling by the wayside....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Now there's an idea.

Hey a bouncy castle speed dating night! :pac:

That would be great actually. I'd rather do that than sit at a dinner table

I'm 34 and single. I have disabled my okcupid account as I was in a place of uncertainty regarding what I wanted. I had a POF account about ten months ago. It was pretty abysmal to be honest. From a user experience the site is badly done. Dating wise I had no success. I was absolutely inundated with "hiya" messages and apologies for the snobbery, messages from men with the intelligence of a gerbil.

Okcupid is my favourite site. It's where I met my ex and two of my now good friends. I've had lots of great dates and met a lot of interesting men. I haven't a clue about any of the other sites.
    What one were you using?

Yea tinder seems to have taken over, unfortunately I can't do tinder!
    Don't do Facebook & don't intend to start to get on tinder!

Seems other online sites are falling by the wayside....

I have facebook but I don't use the internet on my phone. I don't want to spend 35 euro a month for internet on my phone on top of the 30 a month I'm paying for internet at home just to use one app.

Balls for squeezing :p

I'm taking the 5th amendment on this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭BlondeMoment

armaghlad wrote: »
    Went on a first date Thurs night, and got some very mixed signals..

Date went grand, chatted away, got on good, had food and a few drinks.

I left her home... we kissed in the car and things escalated slightly (let's just say she shook hands with the president) while we waited on her friend returning as they were going away for the weekend on Friday morning...

I have not heard from her since!? Other than a snapchat; she never replied to my whatsapp on Thurs night... I find that really weird. I've been ghosted (and been the "ghoster" myself) before and I would normally just say ah feck it and move on but never has it happened in this manner #confused

If she is away for the weekend then maybe give it til Monday/Tuesday before she responds. I know I sometimes dont like texting people if im away or if they are away doing something. She might text back yet.

Okcupid is my favourite site. It's where I met my ex and two of my now good friends. I've had lots of great dates and met a lot of interesting men. I haven't a clue about any of the other sites.
    What one were you using?

I'm on POF , although I'm on a break atm!
    Someone told me it's the same people that sign up to them all....
    Makes sense, seeing as how I might give OK cupid a go now!

I did meet 3 dates, & they were all sound, good craic, just didn't have any spark .....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Silverman. wrote: »
    These arguments make no sense.
    You have met a woman before? They share EVERYTHING.

Stop generalizing women, please. We don't all share everything.

The only things my friends know about my boyfriend are his name, that we're happy and that we're serious. Nothing else. They never hear about arguments. They never hear about our sex life. They never hear about his home life. They never hear about anything to do with my relationship because it's mine and his, not theirs.

We do not all share everything.

You don't know the intricacies of her relationship. You know only what she chooses to show or tell other people. That's it.

You love your friend, so I think any guy she's with isn't going to be good enough, until you're over her.

Ultimately, we cannot control the relationships of others. We don't have to like our friend's partners. But we don't have to badmouth them either, and we can choose not to be around people we dislike.

Stop generalizing women, please. We don't all share everything.

The only things my friends know about my boyfriend are his name, that we're happy and that we're serious. Nothing else. They never hear about arguments. They never hear about our sex life. They never hear about his home life. They never hear about anything to do with my relationship because it's mine and his, not theirs.

We do not all share everything.

You don't know the intricacies of her relationship. You know only what she chooses to show or tell other people. That's it.

You love your friend, so I think any guy she's with isn't going to be good enough, until you're over her.

Ultimately, we cannot control the relationships of others. We don't have to like our friend's partners. But we don't have to badmouth them either, and we can choose not to be around people we dislike.

OK my bad there but I know that she foes share everything with her friends.

That's unfair cos just because I like her doesn't mean I'm making things up.
    I wud have no argument if he treated her better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

They might think she shares everything. The only person who knows for sure is the lady herself tbh.

I'm not accusing you of lying, my apologies if it came across that way. I'm just saying that because you have feelings for her, I don't think you'll truly support her with any man, despite what you say. Maybe you're sure you will, but you won't. As long as you hold a torch for her, you'll resent anyone she's with.

Tbh I think you should just try your hardest to ignore her relationship, forget all about it, because thinking nasty thoughts about other people just results in you being in a bad mood, and there's no point in that!

• Advertisement

Here is your task.

Five things you would love to do this summer. Then post them on the Summer Holidays Thread :)

They might think she shares everything. The only person who knows for sure is the lady herself tbh.

I'm not accusing you of lying, my apologies if it came across that way. I'm just saying that because you have feelings for her, I don't think you'll truly support her with any man, despite what you say. Maybe you're sure you will, but you won't. As long as you hold a torch for her, you'll resent anyone she's with.

Tbh I think you should just try your hardest to ignore her relationship, forget all about it, because thinking nasty thoughts about other people just results in you being in a bad mood, and there's no point in that!

I see what ya mean but I felt that my comments have been challenged on a lot of fronts even though I'm the only one that knows her.
    Im not on here pining over her, I just used her as an example and someone ran with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Hombre Lobo

Single, in my 30's and actively trying online dating but due to my location it's not working out that great which I kind of knew was always going to be the case.

I'm not in any of the major cities so that makes it a lot more difficult IMO.
    I've tried POF in the past but it wasn't for me. The User experience is kind of awful and the site is about 10 - 15 years out of date. It lacks a lot of basic features that could improve it a lot. It does seem to have the largest demographic though, but I know about half the opposite sex in my area on it and I find that a little awkward. There's a lot of weeds you have to pick through on the site but there are genuine people there.

I've tried a paid site too and did have success with that in the past. Had a six month relationship but it was long distance and just didn't work in the end for that reason. Strangely I've had some good conversations with women from other countries out of this too and while we probably both know nothing is ever going to come of it, it has helped with being able to have conversations with other women or send out messages to others too, and if anything I've made a new friend.

OKCupid has a very nice modern site and some good features too, but unfortunately there's only about 5 people in my area on it, and that's with a very wide age range search :). So for that reason I stopped using it.

Thankfully I'm still happy enough right now with being single and continue to live my life as so. I was in a very long term relationship in the past and I literally put my entire 20's on hold for it, lost touch with friends and didn't do things I should have been doing at the time in my life. I've learned not to let that happen again and just keep doing what I want to do now, with or without someone else in my life. While I would love to have the someone special in my life to share weekends with and other occasions or have a conversation with, I can't sit around hoping to find it online at the same time. I try and get out there and do things as much as a I can by myself and just hope one day I'll bump into my other half.

I'd be slightly introverted too which doesn't help in a lot of circumstances meeting people IRL. I would be a little intimidated starting a conversation with a stranger but if they were to start it first then you probably couldn't shut me up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

I'm 34 and single. I have disabled my okcupid account as I was in a place of uncertainty regarding what I wanted. I had a POF account about ten months ago. It was pretty abysmal to be honest. From a user experience the site is badly done. Dating wise I had no success. I was absolutely inundated with "hiya" messages and apologies for the snobbery, messages from men with the intelligence of a gerbil.

What one were you using?

Ok Cupid is what I imagine online dating was like 10+ years ago

There's no middle ground either super filled out profiles or ones with nothing on them

Very few numbers...but you near always get a reply if you put anything into the message from my experience (may have changed last few months)

I tried it before and again no good. Online dating isn't for people in their early 20's in my personal opinion.

I've been using POF on and off for the last few years with no real success. I met one lovely Lithuanian girl on it who I ended up shooting and then she bought me a coffee. It wasn't really a date as such, she just wanted some portraits taken. I'm a member of the photography group on meetup and I've found that a much better source for meeting people.

Anyway we totally need to get this bouncy castle dating thing going lads. At the very least we'll get to see some bouncing boobs. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭Andre 3000

I only use Tinder, and at that its sporadic and when I fancy amusing myself. Have met up with quite a few women, most of the meetups I have had went very well, had two no shows but that's to be expected at times.

I've been using POF on and off for the last few years with no real success. I met one lovely Lithuanian girl on it who I ended up shooting

Jaysus !!!!
    Got a bit of a hop reading to here!!

Ok Cupid is what I imagine online dating was like 10+ years ago

There's no middle ground either super filled out profiles or ones with nothing on them

Very few numbers...but you near always get a reply if you put anything into the message from my experience (may have changed last few months)

I had a very different experience. I certainly did not get lots of replies but I like the site. A lot of the men on it were more interesting to me than those on Plenty of Fish.

Everyone will have their own unique take on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Smile111

I am both active on pof and ok cupid.
    I find pof much better.Ok cupid, I am getting matches from people in different countries mainly !!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement