Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online dating

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭misstearheus

Persepoly you should organize a Boards Speed-Dating Event! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭La.de.da

I think POF is gone very like tinder. I really liked using the site a few years back but I set it back up there about 4months ago. Totally different experience.

Okcupid is I feel more 'grown up'. That said ain't been on any of them for a while. I don't know what I want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

I had a very different experience. I certainly did not get lots of replies but I like the site. A lot of the men on it were more interesting to me than those on Plenty of Fish.

Everyone will have their own unique take on it.

Tbf I don't msg much on it...there's like 15-20 people online in the last week in the 100KM setting when I used it

Persepoly you should organize a Boards Speed-Dating Event! :pac:

Let's see what the future holds Miss Mysterious :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

Now there's an idea.

Hey a bouncy castle speed dating night! :pac:

Anyway we totally need to get this bouncy castle dating thing going lads. At the very least we'll get to see some bouncing boobs. :D

Eh....I don't want black eyes. I have been told my eyes are my best features....after my boobs.
    bubblypop wrote: »
    How many people on this thread are actually single and actively online dating?
    I'm single , gave online a little break but am ready to give it another go now.

There's a lot of attached people on here?
    Is there anyone late 30s / early 40s online at the moment?
    Which sites do ye find the best?

Early 40's and use a few different ones at the moment but dip in and out.

I keep hoping am gonna meet my big bear of a man who wants to go travelling with me, but it has yet to happen. :-(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭makingmecrazy

Do people find they have more luck irl getting asked out/getting a date than they do with online dating?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭Andre 3000

Do people find they have more luck irl getting asked out/getting a date than they do with online dating?

Definitely. Nothing competes with having a real connection with a person before asking them out and what not.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Smile111

I am 34 and online dating is the way to go for me at the minute.I have met a lot more this way than I would anywhere else.
    I wouldn't be a fan of meeting someone out who is hammered and falling all over the place.!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭doc11

Silverman. wrote: »
    Haha I don't get involved anyway.
    Also its not drunken crying either.
    For example, I fell and still am head over heels for this girl I know who has a boyfriend. We were out together in a group and she took her bf too. After the pub, she wanted to go with us to the nightclub, the BF wanted to go home and was kinda trying to convince her to go too. Eventually she decided to go to the nightclub but he also joined us. About five minutes in, they had an argument and he stormed off, five minutes later she said she was leaving and left with him. Neither were drunk. See stuff like that, is hard to see cos I'd be like 'listen babe, go enjoy urself, I'm away home, call me if ya want a lift later'. There are more incidents too as well.

So you'd encourage a stranger to prev at your girlfriend.

Far from a "nice guy" you sound like a C**T trying to chat up someone elses girl. Boo hoo that he saw what you were up to and didn't give you the chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

If she is away for the weekend then maybe give it til Monday/Tuesday before she responds. I know I sometimes dont like texting people if im away or if they are away doing something. She might text back yet.

What an unusually specific reply to an age old post. If she texts back Monday or Tuesday, I'm calling bullsh!t on this and guessing you were armaghlad's Monica Lewinsky!

• Advertisement

Well unfortunately I don't meet people in real life!

I work shifts, different days & nights.
    I work with mostly men, we are all ' mature ' most of the guys are married/ living with partners & kids.
    We don't go out on the piss because everyone is settled.
    If there is a work do, it's just that, work colleagues!
    there's no chance of meeting people anywhere else!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

I tried OKC but found it to be a real ghost town. Feck all women from my area. POF seems to have a lot more members.

Generally yes but a lot more leg work is needed and the rejections are a lot worse.

Well unfortunately I don't meet people in real life!

I work shifts, different days & nights.
    I work with mostly men, we are all ' mature ' most of the guys are married/ living with partners & kids.
    We don't go out on the piss because everyone is settled.
    If there is a work do, it's just that, work colleagues!
    there's no chance of meeting people anywhere else!

I meant if you were out with friends etc, would you get approached/do the approaching much :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Silverman.

Neither me nor any of my friends would ever be approached by women. And none of us would be considered trolls :D

Neither me nor any of my friends would ever be approached by women. And none of us would be considered trolls :D

Do you approach them, to chat etc?

Do you approach them, to chat etc?

My friends would do it the whole time. One has the nickname 'The lone wolf' as he goes off on his own to find a woman haha
    I personally wouldn't that often as I don't drink and ain't that confident on a night out.

My friends would do it the whole time. One has the nickname 'The lone wolf' as he goes off on his own to find a woman haha
    I personally wouldn't that often as I don't drink and ain't that confident on a night out.

Ironically, thats more appealing for a lot of women than having a drunk slobber on you :)

I chat away to men but it's not in a "chatting up" kind of manner if that makes sense.

Ironically, thats more appealing for a lot of women than having a drunk slobber on you

Haha once though I was very nervous so I sounded drunk, tripping over my words.

I chat away to men but it's not in a "chatting up" kind of manner if that makes sense.

Sometimes I think that's way more appealing than "making a play" directly for someone. I prefer when someone just chats. Not as much pressure :)

• Advertisement

Sometimes I think that's way more appealing than "making a play" directly for someone. I prefer when someone just chats. Not as much pressure :)

It really is. This is what I like. No silly lines. Or a very simple "hey can I buy you a drink".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Riders Of Rohan

One of my brothers friends was trying to laugh at him the last day, because my brother uses tinder to get girls, I found this crazy when I lived abroad everyone used not only tinder but other dating sites to meet girls/boys.
    Which I said to him but he thinks its better to get sloppy drunk and go hit on women as this is how hes got all his girlfriends.
    My brother doesnt struggle to get girls, but he has never been a big drinker and hates the binge drinking culture, so I think online dating is perfect for him.
    Are we still so backwards that its still a big deal

I meant if you were out with friends etc, would you get approached/do the approaching much :)

No, you see that's half the problem, I have a few friends in Dublin.
    We only meet up once every 4 to 6 weeks & sometimes longer.
    When we meet up, it's a meet up! We're not out to meet men ,& it's just chatting, having the craic, it's not in anyway looking for men!
    So I don't meet guys anywhere really......

One of my brothers friends was trying to laugh at him the last day, because my brother uses tinder to get girls, I found this crazy when I lived abroad everyone used not only tinder but other dating sites to meet girls/boys.
    Which I said to him but he thinks its better to get sloppy drunk and go hit on women as this is how hes got all his girlfriends.
    My brother doesnt struggle to get girls, but he has never been a big drinker and hates the binge drinking culture, so I think online dating is perfect for him.
    Are we still so backwards that its still a big deal

I think this thread is a testament to how online dating is certainly not a big deal :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

It's much easier to talk to people on nights out that you wouldn't be into. I get lots of cheek/on the lip kisses off gay guys on nights out because I'm comfortable seeing them/chatting them or greeting them with a hug. Same with guys I know would have no interest in me, or have girlfriends. So easy to make conversation. But to walk up to a hot guy I actually liked and try strike up a conversation? Not in a million years :(

No, you see that's half the problem, I have a few friends in Dublin.
    We only meet up once every 4 to 6 weeks & sometimes longer.
    When we meet up, it's a meet up! We're not out to meet men ,& it's just chatting, having the craic, it's not in anyway looking for men!
    So I don't meet guys anywhere really......

You don't need to be out looking for men for you to meet one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

The more you look the less you see... apparently.

Sure there's that many of them around, you'd nearly trip over them at times :D

Sure there's that many of them around, you'd nearly trip over them at times :D

I must have seen at least three men today :p

• Advertisement

I agree, however, I don't meet anyone bar people I work with!
    I only go out to meet friends, & it's not one of those go out get hammered nights, I'm not interested in that anymore!
    So really, online is my chance to meet people that I would never meet in real life!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement