Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online dating

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

Dammit....my dry skin rules me out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭manonboard

Of course, naivety is always to be exploited for cheap, ego boosting laughs.

Good point. I think there could be alot more respect and care giving to naive men. Frankly, they have a desire, they're doing the best they can, after god knows how many rejections. Last thing they need is someone taking the pi**.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Silverman.

manonboard wrote:
    Good point. I think there could be alot more respect and care giving to naive men. Frankly, they have a desire, they're doing the best they can, after god knows how many rejections. Last thing they need is someone taking the pi**.

Someone once told me that some women do actually send screenshots around their friends laughing at guys. Not very nice if true.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,709 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

manonboard wrote: »

There's a world of difference between naïve men and fcukboys, and the latter are fair game for getting their ridiculous messages screenshotted and laughed about, imo.

In several years of online dating my friends and I would have had many a laugh over the latter. Someone who is obviously very lonely and perhaps lacking social skills is a different matter altogether and no-one I know would get a kick out of sharing that kind of thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Dial Hard wrote: »
    There's a world of difference between naïve men and fcukboys, and the latter are fair game for getting their ridiculous messages screenshotted and laughed about, imo.

In several years of online dating my friends and I would have had many a laugh over the latter. Someone who is obviously very lonely and perhaps lacking social skills is a different matter altogether and no-one I know would get a kick out of sharing that kind of thing.

Fucckboys and their unsolicited dick pix are fair game for laughing at.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Silverman. wrote: »
    Someone once told me that some women do actually send screenshots around their friends laughing at guys. Not very nice if true.

Loads of people do this, not just one specific gender.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭PandaX9

Loads of people do this, not just one specific gender.

Likewise lots of people screenshot profiles of those they deem hilarious or exceptionally attractive, makes me wonder if that's ever happened to anyone I know and is out there on a complete strangers phone - you know? Then again you could argue that it's a public profile so it's fair game.

Actually now that I remember this DID happen to my best friend. We were at a black tie event and this complete stranger came up to her demanding aggressively "ARE YOU X?" and she was really hesitant to even reply. And then he called his friend and put her on to him, she hung up the call, and then after his phone was free he shows his whatsapp group which showed that her tinder screenshot had just been sent in. Yer man that came up to her to tell her was a creep and a half. She was very nonchalant, "yeah so? It's a public profile. it's very creepy that you came up to me, fair enough you saw me but you could have kept it to yourself". She hadn't even matched with the mate! People are weird.

PandaX9 wrote: »
    Likewise lots of people screenshot profiles of those they deem hilarious or exceptionally attractive, makes me wonder if that's ever happened to anyone I know and is out there on a complete strangers phone - you know? Then again you could argue that it's a public profile so it's fair game.

Actually now that I remember this DID happen to my best friend. We were at a black tie event and this complete stranger came up to her demanding aggressively "ARE YOU X?" and she was really hesitant to even reply. And then he called his friend and put her on to him, she hung up the call, and then after his phone was free he shows his whatsapp group which showed that her tinder screenshot had just been sent in. Yer man that came up to her to tell her was a creep and a half. She was very nonchalant, "yeah so? It's a public profile. it's very creepy that you came up to me, fair enough you saw me but you could have kept it to yourself". She hadn't even matched with the mate! People are weird.

X is a very odd name tbh....................I'll get my coat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Ronson77c

Yep. A lot of shallow boring people on those sites. And if you don't have a photo up you usually get a reply like " any pic"

Fucckboys and their unsolicited dick pix are fair game for laughing at.

The term ****boi/fucckboys/whatever else really bothers me and should be banned.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭BlondeMoment

The term ****boi/fucckboys/whatever else really bothers me and should be banned.

What does it even mean!

What does it even mean!

I don't think 90% of the people that use it actually know what it means and I've heard dozens of different definitions. It's just a sexist derogatory term.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

What does it even mean!

It seems to me like a term for an overly cocky sexually driven young guy who doesn't really have much respect for women and often makes inapporiate sexual advances towards women and probably cannot be trusted to not cheat in a relationship

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭OhHiMark

I believe it means "a guy who has more sex than I do"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭BlondeMoment

wakka12 wrote: »
    It seems to me like a term for an overly cocky sexually driven young guy who doesn't really have much respect for women and often makes inapporiate sexual advances towards women and probably cannot be trusted to not cheat in a relationship

So just a general eegit then, alright!
    Thanks for that!

If you really want to know, it was originally a prison term, for a man who was raped anally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

I've been doing the online dating for a few weeks now, using Tinder and OK cupid.

Tinder I find to be a waste of time, I get matches all the time but nothing seems to happen after that. I think people just swipe right for the craic and don't bother with messages.

OK cupid is good though, I get matches and messages and I've a couple of dates lined up, to boot.

Saipanne wrote: »
    I've been doing the online dating for a few weeks now, using Tinder and OK cupid.

Tinder I find to be a waste of time, I get matches all the time but nothing seems to happen after that. I think people just swipe right for the craic and don't bother with messages.

OK cupid is good though, I get matches and messages and I've a couple of dates lined up, to boot.

My experience of OKCupid is that because you're encouraged to write proper profiles, people are a lot more inclined to actually make an effort. Some of the best actual conversations I've had on online dating sites have come from there.

Guys especially are supposedly known for swiping right to all women. I once saw an article that said swipe right to everyone and then make ur decision as to who to talk to.

Ronson77c wrote:
    Yep. A lot of shallow boring people on those sites. And if you don't have a photo up you usually get a reply like " any pic"

I'd be wary that a person without a pic could be a catfish.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Guys especially are supposedly known for swiping right to all women. I once saw an article that said swipe right to everyone and then make ur decision as to who to talk to.

I think people use it for a ego boost, seeing how many likes they can collect. Many probably have no intention of dating.

Saipanne wrote:
    I think people use it for a ego boost, seeing how many likes they can collect. Many probably have no intention of dating.

That's it exactly, sure people with partners go on it (even with their partners knowledge) just to see how many right swipes they can get.

I'd be wary that a person without a pic could be a catfish.

Nah, catfishes usually use fake photos. I've had to report four different POF profiles over the years for using my pics. Also a Facebook profile, which I can only assume was set up to give a catfish a bit more legitimacy.

I know people will say that some people don't put pics up because of their job or whatever but in my (extensive) experience, there's only one reason why people don't do it.

I've had professional athletes message me who didn't feel the need to hide their faces, so I don't accept the whole "Oh my job is very sensitive thing". You're a teacher, not working for MI5.

What pro athletes need online dating?

What pro athletes need online dating? haha

Ones who don't want to have to deal with the hassle of trying to meet people on nights out, just like the rest of us. Believe me, if you think it's difficult meeting people in a bar, multiply that by a factor of n when you're constantly getting approached for autographs and selfies.

Sure Adele and Ed Sheeran have both done online dating long after they got famous.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Skylined.94

Haven't tried OK Cupid but must give it a go. Tinder is a bit hit and miss alright but I guess with all these things you need to give it time! :)

Dial Hard wrote:
    Ones who don't want to have to deal with the hassle of trying to meet people on nights out, just like the rest of us. Believe me, if you think it's difficult meeting people in a bar, multiply that by a factor of n when you're constantly getting approached for autographs and selfies.

Dial Hard wrote:
    Sure Adele and Ed Sheeran have both done online dating long after the got famous.

Ya know the next question don't ya? Who was it? Usain Bolt?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Can you give me a more politically correct term to use that doesn't offend you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭KikiDee

OKCupid....I signed up and there was about 12 guys in a 25 mile radius. 2 of which were in their 50's, 2 were in the 20 - 22 mark, 3 had empty profiles. Felt a bit like Goldilocks...'this one is too old, this one is too young', no 'this one is juuuuust right' as of yet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭Shint0

KikiDee wrote: »
    OKCupid....I signed up and there was about 12 guys in a 25 mile radius. 2 of which were in their 50's, 2 were in the 20 - 22 mark, 3 had empty profiles. Felt a bit like Goldilocks...'this one is too old, this one is too young', no 'this one is juuuuust right' as of yet!

I am 40 and if I was in a position again where I found myself dating or using online dating I would probably have an upper age limit of around 48 just for the sake of convenience but having said that I wouldn't rule out somebody a bit older than that if I detected a spark there and would be willing to see where it goes. On the continent I have often seen young girls strolling around hand in hand and cuddling up with much older men of their father's age something I have rarely seen in Ireland. Not sure if they are sugar daddy/mommy type relationships or maybe in some countries people care less about age/generation gaps.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement