Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online dating

Options

Comments

Can you give me a more politically correct term to use that doesn't offend you?

It's not even down to political correctness, but if I started a sentence with, "those bitches", I would've been brought up on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,709 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

It's not even down to political correctness, but if I started a sentence with, "those bitches", I would've been brought up on it.

I'm not really sure they're comparable, tbh. A fcukboy is a well-known trope of social media/online dating. Who are "those bitches"?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 976 ✭✭✭beach_walker

Silverman. wrote: »
    What pro athletes need online dating?

Darts players and golfers I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,709 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Darts players and golfers I'd imagine.

Darts players are athletes now?

Dial Hard wrote: »
    I'm not really sure they're comparable, tbh. A fcukboy is a well-known trope of social media/online dating. Who are "those bitches"?

So because it's a "well known trope", that makes it ok to use derogatory terms? I see. I see.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭armaghlad

Can you give me a more politically correct term to use that doesn't offend you?
    What annoys me is every other profile on tinder/pof reads "no ****boys"; as if this is going to be any sort of deterrent to actual ****boys..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

So because it's a "well known trope", that makes it ok to use derogatory terms? I see. I see.

What do you want guys like that called? Being called a golddigger is derogatory but if the shoe fits. Same for fucck boys.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,571 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Mod:

I for one has never heard of most of these terms. One thing I do know for sure is that discussing what is offensive and what isn't offensive is the leading cause of a disease called rolleyesitis, according to medical science.

Do medical science a favour and stop. Please, just... stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Hombre Lobo

I can understand certain professions not wanting to show a picture publicly.
    If you were a secondary school teacher it wouldn't surprise me for a leaving cert student to start trolling a male/female teacher on something like POF. Similarly, if you were a doctor. You might not want your patient's finding you like that.

But if you don't have a picture, or at least one available privately then you have to be prepared for others not wanting to engage in a conversation with you. Physical attraction is an important part of a relationship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

I can understand certain professions not wanting to show a picture publicly.
    If you were a secondary school teacher it wouldn't surprise me for a leaving cert student to start trolling a male/female teacher on something like POF. Similarly, if you were a doctor. You might not want your patient's finding you like that.

But if you don't have a picture, or at least one available privately then you have to be prepared for others not wanting to engage in a conversation with you. Physical attraction is an important part of a relationship.

Male users on pof can't see pics privately iirc

For Emm obvious reasons

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

She has 14 photos and every one of them is duckface.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭PandaX9

I suppose you could look at it that that is how she sees herself as her most attractive. Which is her prerogative but kinda sad to me. It's times like these that I have the semi "arrogant" thought that I wish my friends took more photos of me when I amnt aware so maybe I would more photos to choose from that aren't selfies or group shots for online dating.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Is that the female version of duckboy? :)

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Silverman.

PandaX9 wrote:
    I suppose you could look at it that that is how she sees herself as her most attractive. Which is her prerogative but kinda sad to me. It's times like these that I have the semi "arrogant" thought that I wish my friends took more photos of me when I amnt aware so maybe I would more photos to choose from that aren't selfies or group shots for online dating.

Ya cud just tell your friends to take photos of you. If they are close friends then it shouldn't be a problem.

Ya cud just tell your friends to take photos of you. If they are close friends then it shouldn't be a problem.

But it's often the photos that catch you unawares that are the best :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Silverman.

But it's often the photos that catch you unawares that are the best

Haha ah geez. Ya cud stage it all like.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

PandaX9 wrote: »

Surely a variety of photos that give you a sense of what you're about is the idea? No matter how attractive someone may be, if I see a series of glam shots, I usually swipe right. Ditto, little or nothing written. I know I've swiped right for people I may fall head over heals for in real life. It's the limitation of the platform; people have too many ideas about what makes them attractive or what members of the appropriate gender find attractive... or their own insecurities manifesting in some other way.

If one agonises about which ones to choose, I think the best thing to do is ask friends for help. Your own ideas of when you look good are usually not objective enough unless nature has been kind to you.

Haha ah geez. Ya cud stage it all like.

Oh absolutely! It's probably just me because I'm not a fan of having my photo taken but even staged one's of me just didn't look right.

But yeah it you can pull it off :)

But it's often the photos that catch you unawares that are the best :)

Except some of us are unphotogenic :pac:

A unexpected photo of me looks slow :P

Misleading photos are a concern for me when it comes to online dating. A girl I work with is really overweight but she actually looks decent in some of her facebook photos. Headshots with good makeup and flattering angles. I'd have to see at least one full length shot to be sure.

• Advertisement

Misleading photos are a concern for me when it comes to online dating. A girl I work with is really overweight but she actually looks decent in some of her facebook photos. Headshots with good makeup and flattering angles. I'd have to see at least one full length shot to be sure.

I sometimes wonder about my photos. I have a range of them spanning from a month ago to four years ago. The most recent one is a full on shot and I'm wearing no make up. There's two body pics in there as well. So while they aren't tricked about with I still wonder.

I have a couple of professional photos along with some outdoorsy ones. They probably think I'm a vain fúcker.

I have a couple of professional photos along with some outdoorsy ones. They probably think I'm a vain fúcker.

:p

I'm inside with the exception of one because I am indoorsy. You won't photos of me swinging out of a plane or scaling kilimanjaro.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I sometimes wonder about my photos. I have a range of them spanning from a month ago to four years ago. The most recent one is a full on shot and I'm wearing no make up. There's two body pics in there as well. So while they aren't tricked about with I still wonder.

No point wondering too much. Just put up a variety of reasonably honest ones. Every body shape out there has an enthusiastic someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭PandaX9

I wonder where they got that idea :pac:

In all seriousness I think the photos I've used are pretty good; mixture of solo and with friends, full body and face only - make up/no make up etc. Exactly as Perspoly said, I'm not a fan of staging photos of me and often the candid shots that people don't know about until after the fact usually look great! I love photos where the subject is shown to be laughing and having a great time, so attractive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭La.de.da

I wouldn't be too keen on putting a full body pic on my profile. Though I do state that I'm curvy. People can be quite cruel.

I would though put different pics some I have makeup on some not.

Having a skype chat prior to meeting up is one option, as you can get a better idea of what they look like. Although I did this once and she spent most of the time chasing her dog around the room.

Tbf your name is mister vain like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

Having a skype chat prior to meeting up is one option, as you can get a better idea of what they look like. Although I did this once and she spent most of the time chasing her dog around the room.

At least it was not her.....eh...cat.

• Advertisement

cantdecide wrote: »
    No point wondering too much. Just put up a variety of reasonably honest ones. Every body shape out there has an enthusiastic someone else.

Oh they are honest alright. They may be too honest :p
    I will actually wear makeup on a date and my hair won't be nuts.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement