Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cables in cavity

Options
  • 20-03-2016 7:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭

Bought a house last year and got a bit of electrical work done. Just a few new sockets and a new oven switch in our kitchen. The electrician put the wires down the cavity which is empty. Now I didn't think of any problems with this at the time, however apparently if I pump my wall with beads they will erode the cables. The insulation guy couldn't believe the electrician did this without putting them in a conduit. Is there anything I can do with these cables on order to get the beads pumped?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

This was a frequent method of installation, I'm surprised your contractor has not seen it before and I'd take that into consideration, I'm sure there is a solution, but it's not your fault that the cables were installed that way, its not unexpected.

The conduit would not protect the cables fully anyway, it would help but the cables are exposed where it bends into the wall anyway and if damage was to take place then it wouldn't matter of it was on all the cables or just some of them, it can't damage any of the cable.
    A huge amount of heat escapes through light fittings and power outlets in many homes, I've seen it quoted at 15 % .
    This method of insulation is meant to go a good way towards fixing this.

I'd ask him for documentation about how the beads he intends to use damage cables, maybe they won't, maybe there are coated ones available?
    I understand that expanding foam can damage a cable, but it would be interesting to see documentation on your contractors product.

I'm fairly sure there are methods that guarantee they won't damage cabling, some of the breathable foam methods look superior to me anyway and I regret getting my walls pumped, I had external insulation installed last year and it's far superior

www.riai.ie › downloads › ECTI_Warning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Yes it's more difficult to believe an experienced insulation installer would find this as some sort of unusual rare event.

Extra sockets etc would often be wired with cables direct in cavities. A conduit fully enclosing a cable being installed would often only be possible on fully opened up walls.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Tuco88

We were told expanding foam was ok for cables. It's been used as a fire sealant in parts of the plant, is it a particular?

Is it band or poor practice to run cables behind skirting boards, let's say adding in a extra socket in a room? I always considered it poor practice I have seen it done recently in a neighbours house.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Running cables in a cavity can bridge inner and outer skins and cause a moisture problem. In the north it is expressly forbidden in Building Regulations. It certainly is a very poor practice indeed.

As for Tuco88's question, cables behind a skirting board which is typically nailed into the wall is not a terribly clever idea either! You can however get skirting trunking.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Risteard81 wrote: »
    As for Tuco88's question, cables behind a skirting board which is typically nailed into the wall is not a terribly clever idea either! You can however get skirting trunking.

More to the point against regulations (ET101:2008) in almost every instance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

2011 wrote: »
    More to the point against regulations (ET101:2008) in almost every instance.
    Of course.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Risteard81 wrote: »
    Of course.

That would be section 522 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Tuco88

Glad to see it ☺

Advertisement