Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

County Councillors looking for a pay rise.

Options
  • 20-03-2016 8:10pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭

Today's Sunday Busines states councillors over the country are looking for almost a 40% pay rise. Their currently getting 16k per annum. They want another 6k per annum for their work. They are blaming phil hogans decision of merging councils is causing extra work for them.

Do you think our councillors are working harder?

Do they deserve a 40% pay rise.

Should all councillors get a rise?

Who do you think works hard for the community?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

I don't understand . If they only get 16,000 then where did andrew mcguiness get the 90,000 in expenses from?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

He was secretary to the auld lad when he was a td.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,414 ✭✭✭✭road_high

In fairness 16k is rubbish as a lot of them
    do actually work hard and go over and above for their constituents. They have to nowadays, else they won't be re elected.

road_high wrote: »
    do actually work hard and go over and above for their constituents. They have to nowadays, else they won't be re elected.

Who would you think works hard and deserves 16k for their work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

I think it is probably a thankless job. you can be contacted at any time and everything is expected of them.I wouldn't have an issue with the getting more money but there should be a great review of what they actually do...individually as well as collectively.

Noonan seems to do a good bit and mcguiness has his head everywhere but not sure about actually doing anything....the rest I'm not too sure what they do although some are really only looking over a specific area.

If the do get this bump then tbey would really want to address the waterford boundry issue and look after the people down there. they have been neglected for far too long

• Advertisement

I would of thought 16k was very good for a secondary income. Aren't most of the councillors employed in some other fashion already?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

How many people actually bother going to their local Councillor to look for something?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,933 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

road_high wrote: »

No bother with them getting a rise IF they don't have another income.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

Bowlardo wrote: »
    mcguiness has his head everywhere but not sure about actually doing anything..
    Agree with this.

I suspect a lot of what councillors are supposed to do are actually things that the TDs get hit for a lot..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

Most have a day job and do council duties out of hours
    They get time off for meetings. Ours attend about 5-10 official meetings per year which is the only measured work beyond newspaper clippings where they are standing next to some social injustice telling everyone how terrible it is.

Councillors have virtually no powers whatso ever to enact change. The unelected executive run councils and they don't answer to them. In that sense 16k plus expenses is probably more than enough.

• Advertisement

No bother with them getting a rise IF they don't have another income.

Some councillors have their fingers in so many pies the can't even remember what their day jobs are.

Mcguinness can't remember he is a director of a family company.

Fitzgerald can't remember what property he owns.

I presume GI Joe Malone is on an army pension in addiction is his payment as councillor.

Is there really anyway to quantify who deserves a 40% pay hike.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Give McGuinness another 6k to stand beside even more gardens/communal areas which he has helped to cut using the lawnmower shown in the photograph.

He's never out of the Kilkenny People.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,153 ✭✭✭screamer

RobertKK wrote: »
    How many people actually bother going to their local Councillor to look for something?
    You'd have a job around here to even figure out who they are. Turn up at the door at election time that's it. Seem to do SFA for the place.
    So in short 16k for doing nothing is a wonderful wage they can feck off with their raises.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,153 ✭✭✭screamer

Bowlardo wrote: »

If the do get this bump then tbey would really want to address the waterford boundry issue and look after the people down there. they have been neglected for far too long
    it's not just the southern boundary that's neglected believe me. If you live in one youll know what I mean. Too far away from the well to do city area for anyone to care about and only reason the southern border is now getting focus is because of the bellview port not the people. TBH waterford would be better for them they're closer to the city than kilkenny city and proximity matters a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

They choose to be councillors knowing the rates beforehand:confused:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

hi5 wrote: »
    They choose to be councillors knowing the rates beforehand:confused:

Indeed they did,
    Also Councillors did alot of stuff back in the 70's and 80's and didn't get a "wage", looking for an increase is just looking to milk the system for all they can get.

As it is they get extra for being on certain additional committee's etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Riverireland

Dublin city councillors were in Russia and Siberia last week observing election practice apparently. Nice little trip of you're not paying for it! So much for our homeless crisis being a priority!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

That's actually a lot less than I thought they'd get. Being available for work on the dole is a far better proposition than being constantly on call as a councillor for €16K.

catbear wrote: »
    That's actually a lot less than I thought they'd get. Being available for work on the dole is a far better proposition than being constantly on call as a councillor for €16K.

What are they on call for?

Would I be wrong in thinking the requirement is to attend the monthly meeting. A number of other public engagements throughout the year.

Some join committees according to another poster above for which they get extra payments.

They are also involved in voluntary committees such as Keep Kilkenny Beautiful etc, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Dublin city councillors were in Russia and Siberia last week observing election practice apparently. Nice little trip of you're not paying for it! So much for our homeless crisis being a priority!

Beacons of democracy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

kikel wrote: »
    What are they on call for?

Would I be wrong in thinking the requirement is to attend the monthly meeting. A number of other public engagements throughout the year.

Some join committees according to another poster above for which they get extra payments.

They are also involved in voluntary committees such as Keep Kilkenny Beautiful etc, etc.

The real gravy is surely the expenses they claim particularly for travel.

As an aside, since he has not been elected, Fitz should have plenty of time for KKB now. Wonder will his commitment waver?

citykat wrote: »
    The real gravy is surely the expenses they claim particularly for travel.

As an aside, since he has not been elected, Fitz should have plenty of time for KKB now. Wonder will his commitment waver?

Oh, the get expences for that. I'd say the Amount is very small. Sure we all know the boys find it hard to fill in forms.

Maybe Fitzgerald might clean up his election poster from the Dublin road.

I wonder will Fitzgerald keep his office on ornonde street. He was mouthing off after the by-election telling us all what a great lad he was keeping his office open to serve the people. Blah blah blah

Advertisement