Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Engineer Code

Options
  • 20-03-2016 9:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Question
    Can an alarm company hold back the Engineer code under law
    I am part of a voluntary community group who within the last few years have obtained our own premises and obviously an alarm system, we want to be able to change the user code ourselves hence need the engineers code as we have a lot of people coming and going, but the installer will not give out the code stating its against the law. Is this true ???

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Never heard of it being against the law.
    But if a company has certified a system to a certain standard they can not stand over that if the end user has access to alter engineer level settings.
    However you do not need the engineer code to be able to change user codes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Doyler1234

KoolKid wrote: »
    Never heard of it being against the law.
    But if a company has certified a system to a certain standard they can not stand over that if the end user has access to alter engineer level settings.
    However you do not need the engineer code to be able to change user codes.

Whenever we try to change the code it asks for engineer code, they have disabled all manager menus and quick codes and then tell me they can't turn them back on!!
    Is there any other way to change the code. It's a hkc sw1070 panel??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Doyler1234 wrote: »
    Whenever we try to change the code it asks for engineer code, they have disabled all manager menus and quick codes and then tell me they can't turn them back on!!
    Is there any other way to change the code. It's a hkc sw1070 panel??

Employ another company who will come in and reset the panel and will give you access via a user menu to change codes.

Employ another company who will come in and reset the panel and will give you access via a user menu to change codes.

Looks like what I'm gonna have to do, was hoping their might be an easier alternative as the Alarm company is also the sparkie and their is still work ongoing in the hall

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

As your system is currently programmed then it is only in the Engineer Menu that the user code can be changed.

Your installers ' against the law' terminology is not quiet right, they may have a policy of not giving out their engineer code as it is probably a common code which they have for all of their systems. It is in no alarm companies interest that their engineer code becomes common knowledge.

I would suggest that you ask them to come out and program the system so that you can change your own user codes whenever you want too. Probably be no harm to give the system a once over while they are there as well, if for no other reason to keep your insurer happy that your system continues to comply with the relevant standards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

Doyler1234 wrote: »
    Looks like what I'm gonna have to do, was hoping their might be an easier alternative as the Alarm company is also the sparkie and their is still work ongoing in the hall

That is interesting, has he got a PSA licence?

kub wrote: »
    That is interesting, has he got a PSA licence?
    Yes he has a PSA Licence.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

As there is ongoing work it shouldn't be a problem for him to set up your code correctly. A minutes work at the keypad.

Advertisement