Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tragedy at Buncrana Pier

Options
  • 20-03-2016 10:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,590 ✭✭✭

Stories are going around that there are four people confirmed dead at Buncrana pier after a vehicle entered the water :(

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,646 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Looking at Twitter seems to suggest a jeep with a family onboard...

https://twitter.com/search?q=buncrana&src=typd

• Registered Users Posts: 7,590 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Five dead - http://donegalnews.com/2016/03/five-dead-in-donegal-tragedy/

"FIVE people have died in a tragic accident in Buncrana this evening.
    The five, 2 adult males, one adult female and two small boys, lost their lives when the car they were in entered the water at the slipway in Buncrana.
    A sixth occupant of the car, believed to be an two-month old infant, survived and has been taken to hospital."

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,627 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Tragic news.

May they rest in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,101 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Penfailed wrote: »
    Five dead - http://donegalnews.com/2016/03/five-dead-in-donegal-tragedy/

"FIVE people have died in a tragic accident in Buncrana this evening.
    The five, 2 adult males, one adult female and two small boys, lost their lives when the car they were in entered the water at the slipway in Buncrana.
    A sixth occupant of the car, believed to be an two-month old infant, survived and has been taken to hospital."
    Apologies Penfailed, I misread the link :o

I have reinstated your original link. Thanks

muffler wrote: »
    Apologies Penfailed, I misread the link :o

I have reinstated your original link. Thanks

No worries :)

I see the search helicopter has now ceased. It's awful news. It's now being reported that it was a northern reg Audi jeep :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Have mixed up those news sources myself in the past.

Shocking tragedy, thoughts are with everybody effected.

One small ray of hope is a wee baby survived.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Apparently it was a Derry family.
    The mother of the baby that survived is meant to be in England on a weekend away.
    She lost her partner, her mother, her sister and her 2 other children.

May she find the strength to continue for her baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,101 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Listening to the local radio this morning it seems that other people / cars have experienced difficulties on the slipway with all the algae thats growing there.

Terrible tragedy though. I cant even begin to imagine what that poor woman and her family are going through.

The sad part reading the story this morning is how that pensioner was actually chatting to the driver. It appears the car was in some depth of water for a few minutes before it went down.

Perhaps if you were floating in water in your car you might feel safer staying in it rather than getting out? Who knows, only the investigation will reveal the real events of the tragedy.

Names and photos released:
    http://www.thesun.ie/irishsol/homepage/news/7016154/Pictured-Tragic-family-of-five-who-lost-their-lives-in-Donegal-pier-tragedy.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 889 ✭✭✭opiniated

Horrible news. I can't even begin to imagine what that poor family are going through. RIP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

I was down there today for work and from the Gateway Hotel, you can see over to the pier. I couldn't get over the amount of cars that were down at it, just driving around obviously wanting to have a look for themselves. After all thats just happened, people should have more cop on. :(

Depends who they were, really.

I can understand family and close friends wanting to visit the spot where their loved ones died. Anyone else doing so is more than slightly morbid, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Flibbles

NIMAN wrote: »
    The sad part reading the story this morning is how that pensioner was actually chatting to the driver. It appears the car was in some depth of water for a few minutes before it went down.

Perhaps if you were floating in water in your car you might feel safer staying in it rather than getting out? Who knows, only the investigation will reveal the real events of the tragedy.

This part does seem exceptionally sketchy to me, they had time to crack a window, get a child out, shout for help etc etc.

Hopefully the investigation does clear this all up, because there's too many odd parts to this story.

Turns out that the father couldn't swim. His brother mentioned that at the funeral :(

Penfailed wrote: »
    Turns out that the father couldn't swim. His brother mentioned that at the funeral :(

The poor man must have known he had no chance, and just tried to get the others out. God have mercy on them all!

Advertisement