Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hibernia PME Primary - Info Please!

Options
  • 21-03-2016 12:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭

Hi,

I appreciate some of my questions may have been asked in previous posts in this thread, but I am looking for the most up to date info is possible!

I am considering the PME (Primary) in Hibernia College next year, but can't seem to get a firm committment from them on the workload involved, in terms of the exact number of evenings per month, satursday etc. They keep saying the timetable changes every year etc.

If I go ahead with the course, I wlll probably continue to work full time for the first 6 months of the course and then quit.

So I am looking for some information from anyone who has recently completed it, or is in the middle of it. What I would like to know is how many evenings per week (as exact as you can be) are involved? What hours in the evenings And is it every week?

Also, the Saturday workshops, is is 2 per month, for every single month of the 2 year course? Typically how may additional hours outside of web sessions and workshops are involved?

I understand there are no semesters as such, but is there holidays/brekas a t certain times?

Basically, if anyone out there could give me a rough but honest indication of the typical timetable including personal study hours (even if you only halfway through it) I would REALLY REALLY appreciate it. :)

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Docscar38

Hi Burly. I'm currently studying Hibernia Pme. Let me be honest. The time commitment is much more than what was initially explained. Before Xmas we had something like 7 Saturdays in a row at our on sites which take place in a regional centre for example. The cohort is broken up into groups of roughly 30 students that come together more regularly. Then every so often there is a conference day in Ucd for say a general lecture day based on a whole pedagogy (ped2 for example English, Irish, Maths) The beginning of the course is the Foundations module which takes up the majority of the first few months. You will have online lectures (webinars) every Monday night (around 7pm) a lot of Tuesday nights and even some Wednesdays. The workload is heavy and comes in a steady stream automatically on every Monday morning. There's a lot going on in general. It's very time consuming and a total commitment. But if u want it you will do it. But be under no illusions it will be hard. But you'll have classmates that you will make friends with and people all pull together. I have spent a good bit of time in schools and it's then that u see what you're working for. Best of luck. If it's for you, it's for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Cliona2012

Hi there
    Do you know what exactly the online induction consists of? I also heard that there is a subsequent onsite induction in Dublin. Is this onsite mandatory or optional?

Thanks
    Cliona (Hoping to do this in sept)💰💰💰
    Docscar38 wrote: »
    Hi Burly. I'm currently studying Hibernia Pme. Let me be honest. The time commitment is much more than what was initially explained. Before Xmas we had something like 7 Saturdays in a row at our on sites which take place in a regional centre for example. The cohort is broken up into groups of roughly 30 students that come together more regularly. Then every so often there is a conference day in Ucd for say a general lecture day based on a whole pedagogy (ped2 for example English, Irish, Maths) The beginning of the course is the Foundations module which takes up the majority of the first few months. You will have online lectures (webinars) every Monday night (around 7pm) a lot of Tuesday nights and even some Wednesdays. The workload is heavy and comes in a steady stream automatically on every Monday morning. There's a lot going on in general. It's very time consuming and a total commitment. But if u want it you will do it. But be under no illusions it will be hard. But you'll have classmates that you will make friends with and people all pull together. I have spent a good bit of time in schools and it's then that u see what you're working for. Best of luck. If it's for you, it's for you.

Sorry if I'm not answering this correctly but do you mean after you've been accepted or when you are trying to apply in the first instance? After acceptance you have an induction week which basically is a week of following and completing different tasks designed to show you how to navigate the myhelms system. It basically your portal where u access new sessions (lectures) communicate with other students/hibernia. It has multiple features which you will have to investigate every day completing various tasks along the way. The onside can be hit and miss depending on many factors but your attendance is recorded so it's not advisable you miss many. I think you have to attend 80% of your classes/webinars. I wouldn't miss the foundations conference in any event. It can be daunting when they throw everything out there for you in on the day but it's also helpful for you to know what's ahead of you.

Thanks.
    I mean after one has been accepted for the programme?
    So the induction is online first and then you have tasks to complete during the week to become familiar with the website etc
    Then there's an on-site induction in Dublin to meet staff etc - is that mandatory?

te
    ="Docscar38;99207677"]Sorry if I'm not answering this correctly but do you mean after you've been accepted or when you are trying to apply in the first instance? After acceptance you have an induction week which basically is a week of following and completing different tasks designed to show you how to navigate the myhelms system. It basically your portal where u access new sessions (lectures) communicate with other students/hibernia. It has multiple features which you will have to investigate every day completing various tasks along the way. The onside can be hit and miss depending on many factors but your attendance is recorded so it's not advisable you miss many. I think you have to attend 80% of your classes/webinars. I wouldn't miss the foundations conference in any event. It can be daunting when they throw everything out there for you in on the day but it's also helpful for you to know what's ahead of you.[/quote]

That's more or less it. You will be given a start date, usually a week before the conference day in Ucd. I don't believe it is mandatory to attend but I do believe that your attendance is noted. There will be so many people there it's not like they will miss you on the day or anything. It's quite a shock to see how many people are part of your cohort. You will have the week to do the induction stuff and then attend on the Saturday.

• Advertisement

Thank you
    What time is the online induction on at if you recall or can you watch it at whatever time you want?
    That's more or less it. You will be given a start date, usually a week before the conference day in Ucd. I don't believe it is mandatory to attend but I do believe that your attendance is noted. There will be so many people there it's not like they will miss you on the day or anything. It's quite a shock to see how many people are part of your cohort. You will have the week to do the induction stuff and then attend on the Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 snooples

Hi Folks,
    I'm interested in applying for the PME in Post Primary - I would need to work full time through the course - does anyone know if the 24 week placement is mandatory or would it be possible to do this on weekends or evening time?

Think I'm snookered with time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

snooples wrote: »
    Hi Folks,
    I'm interested in applying for the PME in Post Primary - I would need to work full time through the course - does anyone know if the 24 week placement is mandatory or would it be possible to do this on weekends or evening time?

Think I'm snookered with time!

The placement is mandatory. How could you complete a placement of teaching in a second level school in the evening and weekends? It's just not feasible.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 snooples

Cheers Arlessienne,
    I was just wondering if anyone has ever done it by teaching leaving cert subjects in night time colleges like Plumkett College of further education - they run leaving cert subjects at night time.
    O well! Guess its back to the drawing board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

snooples wrote: »
    Cheers Arlessienne,
    I was just wondering if anyone has ever done it by teaching leaving cert subjects in night time colleges like Plumkett College of further education - they run leaving cert subjects at night time.
    O well! Guess its back to the drawing board.

There's a lot more to training as a teacher than teaching LC subjects to voluntary students. This just would not be a suitable placement to gain the necessary experience in working as a second level teacher.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 carod3103

Hi there, are the online lectures on at a certain time each evening or can you log in & do them at any time if you are running late for example?
    Where exactly are the regional centres for the Saturday seminars?

Hi there, are the online lectures on at a certain time each evening or can you log in & do them at any time if you are running late for example?

carod3103 wrote: »

The webinars (lectures) are usually on around 7pm. You may have 2 back to back so they could end around ten pm..you can log on via more or less any device so you aren't completely restricted to home. You are also sent your lessons each Monday (these are called sessions) usually there is a lot to work through. This is done on your own. The webinars then are the lectures about the material in the sessions. As regards this material, it's not mandatory that you have very Dingle tiny piece done, but it helps to have most of the core stuff done as at the end of the day, that is the stuff you are trying to learn. Without engaging with that you won't understand the topic of the lectures.

The regional centres obviously vary. Some in the major towns and cities happen in Institutes of technology as far as I'm aware. There are loads of education centres around the country and they tend to use them as well. For example, Navan education centre, Athlone, Kildare. You will have an active calendar that will show the times of all webinars, assignment upload dates and tutorial centres. When u click on the centre it usually has a link to their website and address. They tend to be from.9.30am to 4.30pm 9n Saturday's.

Thanks so much for the info.
    The webinars (lectures) are usually on around 7pm. You may have 2 back to back so they could end around ten pm..you can log on via more or less any device so you aren't completely restricted to home. You are also sent your lessons each Monday (these are called sessions) usually there is a lot to work through. This is done on your own. The webinars then are the lectures about the material in the sessions. As regards this material, it's not mandatory that you have very Dingle tiny piece done, but it helps to have most of the core stuff done as at the end of the day, that is the stuff you are trying to learn. Without engaging with that you won't understand the topic of the lectures.

The regional centres obviously vary. Some in the major towns and cities happen in Institutes of technology as far as I'm aware. There are loads of education centres around the country and they tend to use them as well. For example, Navan education centre, Athlone, Kildare. You will have an active calendar that will show the times of all webinars, assignment upload dates and tutorial centres. When u click on the centre it usually has a link to their website and address. They tend to be from.9.30am to 4.30pm 9n Saturday's.

Advertisement