Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sub Domain Location

Options
  • 21-03-2016 1:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭

If I create a Sub Domain on my domain hosted (Windows) on Blacknight what location should I FTP my files to?

My main site files go to /wwwroot/my_domain_name.com so where should I upload my files for the Sub Domain?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Comments

Hi there,

It would depend on whether the subdomain created is created on an existing webspace, or on a new webspace.

- If created on an existing webspace, you can connect using your existing ftp details to the new location should is typically \wwwroot/sub.domain.com

- If created on an new webspace, you can connect using your new ftp details found in "https://cp.blacknight.com/ > Websites > $DOMAIN > WebSite Configuration" to the new location should is typically \wwwroot/sub.domain.com

Should you need additional assistance please feel free to contact our helpdesk on help@blacknight.com

Thanks,
    Niamh.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

I'm still a little confused Niamh.

I added a Subdomain to an existing domain and expected it to automatically create a separate folder with the subdomain name but it did not create that folder.

I then added hosting to the new subdomain but there was still no new folder created for the subdomain.

My understanding is that a subdomain address should be connectable using this address format.

http://subdomainname.mywebsitename.com

and that is the address format my Blacknight Cpanel is displaying for use by the subdomain.

The only method I can get to work is this

I manually create a new folder with the subdomain name in /wwwroot/mywebsitename.com and upload the subdomain files to that which allows me to access it using the following address format

http://mywebsitename.com/subdomainname

but that is simply accessing a folder on my main domain and not a subdomain.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Maybe I should have explained that this is my first domain and first hosting account so I am a total novice when it comes to this so you might have assumed I understood how it all works?

I think I've figured out where I was going wrong. I was using the FTP profile for my main site to try & get to my subdomain which I now think was incorrect?

I'll explain it as I think it should work.

Scenario 1

Do I need to setup a new FTP profile using my same FTP login details (from my main site) but using the subdomain name instead of my main site name in order to connect to my subdomain?

In other words the subdomain is treated as if it is a separate website?

Scenario 2

If I have added hosting to the subdomain it would have it's own space and I would need a new FTP profile with new username and password in order to connect to it?

Morning,

It really depends on how its setup. If it's all in the same Webspace, the FTP details are the same for the whole Webspace.

If its in a separate Webspace, the FTP details are different per Webspace.

There then is Web Locations on the domains that need to be looked into.

If you could open a support ticket with our help desk (help@blacknight.com) we can look into this further for you.

Many thanks,
    Niamh.

Advertisement