Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not enough room on mobo for fans

Options
  • 21-03-2016 6:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 20

So I have two case fans and I may want more. Right now I only have 1 case fan in use as an exhaust fan and I imagine that's not very good.

So basically I heard you can get a splitter for this but I have no idea which ones are what. i want one that I can plug into my motherboard and then plug the fans in the other end of the cable. Would anybody know what type I'd get for that? My motherboard is a H97N-WIFI

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

1 in 1 out is actually grand (and more than the average user has) as long as you are sure they are set up in this manner. You should monitor your temps using something like speedfan or any other hardware monitor software before deciding if your temps are a little too high for your liking.

I see now after looking at your board the problem. I assumed both fans were working currently instead of just the one.

You have two options. Split the system fan header. Or power one of the case fans directly from the PSU.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Akasa-AK-CBFA04-15-Splitter-Cable-Fans/dp/B005FWXWPS/ref=pd_sim_147_5?ie=UTF8&dpID=41h6f7NqKCL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=1MJ78N37R7B0NZ3WVQA4

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Akasa-AK-CB001-Single-4-pin-Molex/dp/B001J2YRU2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1458553784&sr=8-1&keywords=3+pin+fan+to+4+pin+molex

The first option will allow you to control the fan (assuming the case fans are 4pin) from the BIOS or something like speedfan.

Powering straight from the power supply means the fans will run at full tilt whenever the PC is on. Not the worst if they are good fans.

An alternative option is a fan controller for the front of your case but as this is an itx build i'd assume space is at a premium.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Alan4446

I think I'll just go for option number 1 and split the system fan header although my case fans are 3 pin will that make a difference?

Nope. 4 connectors support 3 pin just fine. The clip should be closer to one side than the other so you know how to plug it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Alan4446

So pretty much one side goes into my 4 pin connector on my motherboard and the other side connects my 3 pin case fans to it?

Also, if I'm buying new fans do I have to know if they're a 4 pin or 3 pin or will the first cable you linked do both?

It will link to both. You shouldn't need more than two fans though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 WilliamEgan

Yeah my Mobo has the 4 pins, I believe its for extra flexibility. There was a subtle indent/emboss that showed you which side to play your 3 pin.

My Mobo was MSI Z170A Gaming Pro

Advertisement