Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pre-fight Nerves

• 21-03-2016 10:51am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭

Someone had the idea on another thread to start a discussion about this phenomenon so I thought I'd give it a bash.

Personally I suffer quite badly from it in the days and weeks leading into competition. Before my latest bouts I felt paralysed with stomach cramps and apprehension, puking my ring up before the event. While the other lads in the gym would go for a meal 4 hours before we all had to get in the ring I'd barely put away a bowl of cornflakes and end up sitting on the jacks. Without being too vulgar I also have to p*ss around 20 times on fight day.

Funnily enough though, I'm excellent at masking the fear and perhaps that comes from working in door security and other situations where it took the ability to keep a sane face when you're actually bricking it a small bit. Most people say I look cool out when I get in the ring but inside I want to die. However once the bell rings I'm generally grand.

I've had two unlicensed boxing matches now and am having a third in June. I won my first one handily against a larger and more experienced opponent but had a disaster of a fight for my second and lost a split decision. Funnily enough, once the fight was over I didn't really give a sh*t about the loss. The sense of disappointment with myself only came in a few weeks after once I began reflecting on it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Nerves.

Initially I get them when I see the date for a competition and register, but its more a sense of excitement and I don't think too much about it.

But I'll up the ante in training and start watching things like being around people with colds and flu etc, every now and then I'll be getting rushes of nerves/excitement but then I push it back.

Providing all goes well by the last ten days before the comp I'll be looking forward to fighting but still pushing back some nerves and trying to not over think whats ahead.

Sometimes I tell myself that this isn't going to be any different than just visiting another club and training with new partners, ie I've nothing to lose by fighting.

But my last comp I needed to take ten points from it for my Judo black belt, and honestly I was sh*tting myself, esp in the last 24hours before I fought ~ I couldn't rest, wasn't sleeping, couldn't eat or drink.. I'd never experienced nerves like it.

But luckily I've some great to talk to. I say lucky because as I said in the other thread, some people don't have that or they keep their emotions very private and won't admit they're nervous or feeling scared.

On the morning of a comp I eat a huge breakfast, cut down on the coffee and start taking in water (again I'm lucky because I fight +100kgs and don't have to worry about weight).

On the day of competition I'm quiet and don't have much to talk about. Sometimes I'll listen to music, sometimes I'll just spend time alone with my thoughts.

Once I'm called to fight all those nerves disappear, I concentrate and visualize how I'm going to win and how its going to feel. Then I step out and try my best ~ and that's all anyone can do, is try their best.

Something I should have covered earlier.. In the weeks prior to fighting I'll look at what's been working in the club, what take downs and what subs have been working and I'll concentrate on them ~ like trying to build them into my muscle memory bank ~ visualization, it works. It definitely works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I think I'm quite lucky with nerves. Doesn't really bother me, maybe the occasional flutter as I'm waiting around. But I generally just deal with it pretty well. I tend to go to the bathroom a lot anyway, and its maybe slightly increased on comp days. Helps making weight as I'm usually tight enough to the limit. Which often means little food on the day, :(

My last comp was my first one at blue belt. Found my first opponent was a purple belt. At first I was overthinking it, but then I mentally wrote it off as a loss and nerves went awaty, as I'd have 3 other matches regardless. Ending nearly catching him in a kneebar off his DeLaRiva, which would maybe have been a DQ anyway.

For my MMA fight, I was't nervous at all. Big fry with a milkshake that morning. A burrito on the way to the arena.
    even had a nap during the undercard while other around me lost their minds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi

FTA69 wrote: »
    Someone had the idea on another thread to start a discussion about this phenomenon so I thought I'd give it a bash.

Personally I suffer quite badly from it in the days and weeks leading into competition. Before my latest bouts I felt paralysed with stomach cramps and apprehension, puking my ring up before the event. While the other lads in the gym would go for a meal 4 hours before we all had to get in the ring I'd barely put away a bowl of cornflakes and end up sitting on the jacks. Without being too vulgar I also have to p*ss around 20 times on fight day.

Funnily enough though, I'm excellent at masking the fear and perhaps that comes from working in door security and other situations where it took the ability to keep a sane face when you're actually bricking it a small bit. Most people say I look cool out when I get in the ring but inside I want to die. However once the bell rings I'm generally grand.

I've had two unlicensed boxing matches now and am having a third in June. I won my first one handily against a larger and more experienced opponent but had a disaster of a fight for my second and lost a split decision. Funnily enough, once the fight was over I didn't really give a sh*t about the loss. The sense of disappointment with myself only came in a few weeks after once I began reflecting on it.

Interesting topic and I think it boils down to what actually creates this fear. There are a few different ways in which fear can manifest itself. I read a book a few years back called "Inner Skiing" - the book is about Skiing itself but the psychology end of it can cover any sport. The most interesting part was about out fear of failure.

Well worth a read and only cost a few dollars on Amazon.

yomchi wrote: »
    Interesting topic and I think it boils down to what actually creates this fear. There are a few different ways in which fear can manifest itself. I read a book a few years back called "Inner Skiing" - the book is about Skiing itself but the psychology end of it can cover any sport. The most interesting part was about out fear of failure..

'Atychiphobia'

:D

Just thought I'd throw that one in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭NFH

Beta-blockers? I've heard a lot of people use these for dealing with nerves. Like for example a musician before a gig. Not sure if it's legal sports wise but I could be wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭NFH

Beta-blockers? I've heard a lot of people use these for dealing with nerves. Like for example a musician before a gig. Not sure if it's legal sports wise but I could be wrong.

NFH wrote: »

Illegal in sports like archery, shooting, etc where you have to hold a steady hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

I never really got nervous in competition, I only compete in BJJ though and I've only recently got my blue belt so I was only ever competing at white belt level.

I was a bag of nerves during my blue belt exam though. The professor who graded me gave me a fist bump and a "don't worry, just give it your best shot the worst that can happen is you do it again in a few months but we both know you don't need that, so lets gets this over with, yeah?" and I was grand. The exam flew by, felt like 5 or 10 minutes at most, and I felt great during it, only making a few little bloopers which he said was grand.

I reckon I might be more nervous in my first Blue Belt competition though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

I've been lucky enough I've never had bad pre-fight nerves, I tend to be calm about exams and stuff as well so maybe it's just a natural state of zen :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭DB888

I never really got nervous in competition, I only compete in BJJ though and I've only recently got my blue belt so I was only ever competing at white belt level.

I was a bag of nerves during my blue belt exam though. The professor who graded me gave me a fist bump and a "don't worry, just give it your best shot the worst that can happen is you do it again in a few months but we both know you don't need that, so lets gets this over with, yeah?" and I was grand. The exam flew by, felt like 5 or 10 minutes at most, and I felt great during it, only making a few little bloopers which he said was grand.

I reckon I might be more nervous in my first Blue Belt competition though.

Blue belt exam? Ironman / shark tank style?

• Advertisement

DB888 wrote: »
    Blue belt exam? Ironman / shark tank style?

One on one with black belt instructor.

One on one with black belt instructor.

Ah, so like a curriculum to follow and you demonstrate?

Ah, so like a curriculum to follow and you demonstrate?

Yeah pretty much. You learn s curriculum over a number of months / years, grouped into ten class modules covering various positions and their variables and when you've covered them you can ask or be asked if you want to be assessed at the next round of exams.

The instructor then goes through the positions wit you, open guard top, open guard bottom, closed top, closed bottom, side top, side bottom, half guard top, half guard bottom, etc.

If they deem you have mastered a good understanding of the curriculum they award you your blue belt.

There are stripes and intermediate belts along the way in some gyms to help keep track of progress.

Yeah pretty much. You learn s curriculum over a number of months / years, grouped into ten class modules covering various positions and their variables and when you've covered them you can ask or be asked if you want to be assessed at the next round of exams.

The instructor then goes through the positions wit you, open guard top, open guard bottom, closed top, closed bottom, side top, side bottom, half guard top, half guard bottom, etc.

If they deem you have mastered a good understanding of the curriculum they award you your blue belt.

There are stripes and intermediate belts along the way in some gyms to help keep track of progress.

I see. Would you say its similar to a traditional martial arts testing style then? Do you pay to take the exam what way does it work?

I see. Would you say its similar to a traditional martial arts testing style then? Do you pay to take the exam what way does it work?

The exam costs whatever the instructor charges for a one on one session for 45ish minutes, so prices vary but mine was very reasonable and I learned from it as well.

I have no experience of traditional martial arts besides Karate as a kid so I really can't claim to know one way or the other what the similarities or differences are in that regard.

The exam costs whatever the instructor charges for a one on one session for 45ish minutes, so prices vary but mine was very reasonable and I learned from it as well.

I have no experience of traditional martial arts besides Karate as a kid so I really can't claim to know one way or the other what the similarities or differences are in that regard.

Interesting way of working promotions in a jiu jitsu club. Anyway, bit off topic :)

Interesting way of working promotions in a jiu jitsu club. Anyway, bit off topic :)

There's only 4 promotions to be had though, and they're usually several years apart unless you're a freak like BJ Penn. Stripes and intermediate belts are just used so students can see their progression.

My club is the same. Except that the required syllabus is pretty extensive and took maybe 8 hours, over a few weeks to complete.
    It might sound excessive, but it ends up being 8+ hours one on one with my coach, and you get a lot of valueable coaching of minor details

Guys this is a Pre-fight Nerves thread.

Can you take BJJ grading discussions to the BJJ General Thread please.

Sorry, mixed up what thread I was in. Feel free to move them over (or to the bin ;) )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 507 ✭✭✭shutup

There's only 4 promotions to be had though, and they're usually several years apart unless you're a freak like BJ Penn. Stripes and intermediate belts are just used so students can see their progression.

Just so you know, you are explaining the belt system to a multiple competition winning purple belt.

shutup wrote: »
    Just so you know, you are explaining the belt system to a multiple competition winning purple belt.

Why in the name of jaysus was he asking me pointless questions so?
    :eek:

I'm aware it varies massively from school to school.

Advertisement