Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GodZone 2016 - Chapter 5 Kaiteriteri

Options
  • 21-03-2016 1:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭

GodZone is 11 days away and putting on 2 races this year. The Extreme Pure event and the "Hard" but more social Persuit event.

There seems to be a distinct absence of big teams (?) and for once it won't be a Seagate procession, although I wouldn't rule out Sophie Hart and the Girls!

I reckon Kyle Peter and Team Adventure Medical Kits are one of the favourites. I'm rooting for Team Endurancelife and Sabrina, Gary Davies etc..

Yealand Family Wines seems to be non descript until you spot a certain Chris Forne in the team.

Also going to track Ritchie McCaw in Cure Kids with interest.

No Irish Teams this year. Just one girl Fiona Read in Team CPR Wanaka.

Video of the first stage preview..
    https://vimeo.com/120814168

Sooooo Pretty...

Host-Location-Main-Image.jpg
    What to Expect

Tasman-Montagev2.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Uh so jealous. I say that every year :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Are you allowed call it racing when you have to take in views like that

;)

PS **someone** keeps tagging me in posts about these glorious races on Facebook, I don't need encouragement!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

sconhome wrote: »
    Are you allowed call it racing when you have to take in views like that

;)

PS **someone** keeps tagging me in posts about these glorious races on Facebook, I don't need encouragement!!! :D

:D:cool:

@Kate - I know!! It.will.happen

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

:D:cool:

@Kate - I know!! It.will.happen

AMEN

• Registered Users Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭Enduro

I nearly posted up about this last week having looked at the teams list. My word its interesting this year. The list of teams with "interesting" team members is long. Very hard to pick a winner. Should make for good racing. so...

- Adventure Medical Kits (9) : Definite contenders. Lots of experience at this stage. Jarad Kohler adds huge expereince on top again.
    - Bivouac inov-8 (5) : Up and coming Kiwis.
    - Cure Kids (7) : Richie McCaw! Sarah Fairmaid is an excellent racer. Could be genuinely competitive.
    - Seagate (1) : All female, but a very strong bunch. Will likely place very high.
    - Swordfox (17) : 2 ex world champs on this team (Brent and Stu). Very much one to watch.
    - Team Bones (35) : Strong American team with lots of experience. Should go well, but not quite stong enough to win I think.
    - Team NeuroPhysics (13): Sonya Clark racing here. She's world class. If the rest of the team is up to her standard then they'll be competitive
    - Torpedo7 (21) : Competitive in past Godzones... so could be again!
    - Yealands Family Wines (31) : The best navigator in the race in Chris Forne. Sia is a strong female as well. Should be interesting to watch how they get on.
    - Yogaslackers (60) : Another vastly experienced American team. But can't see them getting past the issues that Jason's hip caused in Patagonia

And no doubt there are strong antipodean teams that I've missed there. If I had a free charity bet to pick the winner I'd throw it on Swordfox. But this race looks wide open for a change.

• Advertisement

Nearly there! Let the dot watching commence....

Aw boo Rob Howard isn't there this year :(

Adventure Racing is fun!! Way to bank #Yogaslackers

12472458_1032614340132327_6611495380629400194_n.jpg?oh=97d5abe9e1864b7a416f810a91b18ba8&oe=57846BF0&__gda__=1469068210_09d3ab28249af70e5f4a8aebf0272abc

4 of the top teams at or through TA2 now.
    Yealand, Swordfox, Torpedo and AMK

The rest of the field is all over the place on the bike!
    Ritchie McCaw still going though. Kiwi press actively looking for him in every shot

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

Great stuff so far, the Richie McCaw angle is interesting too.

Great part of the country- I'd highly recommend a visit if anyone is ever down this way. Beautiful beaches, lovely lakes, nice nontechnical mountains, cosy huts, it's all there!

The stage 8 trek up Mt Owen could be a tricky one- it would make a big difference hitting it in good weather.

MrCreosote wrote: »

The stage 8 trek up Mt Owen could be a tricky one- it would make a big difference hitting it in good weather.

The Trek to Mines of Mouria in Lord of the Rings = looks epic :eek:

The stages are all so well thought out and the variety of terrain and mix of disciplines seems to be awesome. Taking the teams to some of the most famous whitewater and MTB descents in NZ...

Seagate Girls moving along nicely just outside top 10 and Endurancelife seem to have made up ground on the bike after a slow kay

Yealand, Swordfox and Torpedo are top 3 with AMK in chase.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

The Trek to Mines of Mouria in Lord of the Rings = looks epic :eek:

The stages are all so well thought out and the variety of terrain and mix of disciplines seems to be awesome. Taking the teams to some of the most famous whitewater and MTB descents in NZ...

Seagate Girls moving along nicely just outside top 10 and Endurancelife seem to have made up ground on the bike after a slow kay

Yealand, Swordfox and Torpedo are top 3 with AMK in chase.

This year does seem to have a very nicely balanced course.

Rough terrain up Mt Owen for sure- spent a lovely few days up there some years ago. There are some huge sinkholes- if you fell in you'd never be found again!

Good thread following the race here

Looks like swordfox went up the wrong valley. Probably won't be lost by the winos from here, especially with Chris forms navigating.

Enduro wrote: »
    Looks like swordfox went up the wrong valley. Probably won't be lost by the winos from here, especially with Chris forms navigating.

That was my thought also over on AP. They are rescuing it but they had a good chance to chase Yealand onto the Canoe with them almost in sight.

Torpedo have the same section now and if they can get it right, are moving. Wouldn't count AMK out of a podium either. They put in a few extra kms getting through the trek but a couple of good nav choices and a strong paddle, who knows..

Seagate ladies about 5 minutes behind them and going well.

Interesting article from Rob Howard on Ritchie McCaw's participation in the race http://www.sleepmonsters.com/v2_races.php?article_id=9343

Well if Paul O'Connell was taking on ITERA this summer it would get some coverage too.

Actually, #TriHarderAR are short a team member....

Well if Paul O'Connell was taking on ITERA this summer it would get some coverage too.

Actually, #TriHarderAR are short a team member....

Can he nav????

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Can he nav????

Kate, Mike, Peter and Paul in a line up to lift Paul so he can where ye need to go next :D

Great article by Rob, very balanced

Can he nav????
    Maybe not but he can put THE FEAR OF GOD into other teams.

We do need someone though. I could do with back up on Nav. Entry list went up and still a few teams seeking.

Advertisement