Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is it time to upgrade my Ping eye 2 irons?

• 21-03-2016 1:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭

I am a 14/15 handicapper, I have 25 year old ping eye 2's orange dot. I haven't been playing bad with them but would definitely like a bit more consistency with my 4 iron to 8 iron. I don't think I lack for distance with my irons as hit them as far nearly everyone I play with bar the very low big hitters.
    I have a few quid in the pro shop not enough for a new set but thinking of finally taking the plunge and going for a fitting for new irons? Not really played with any other irons so wondering with I notice any difference is it worth changing?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

If you are hitting the eye2s about similar distance to your playing partners, then you're in for a shock if you get new irons, your wedges will be 20 yards past their wedge!!
    The eye2s have traditional lofts, pw is 50.5 degrees, some of the new Taylor made irons have a pw at 43 degrees, so closer to the eye2 8i. Most sets have a pw around 45, so exactly your 9i.
    The eye2s are a great set of irons and if you hit them well, don't rush out to buy new irons, maybe get a few hybrids for the top end of the bag instead?
    Swapping from eye2s to anything bar SGI irons will take a big adjustment, but nothing a bit of extra practice won't sort out and if you do decide to buy, then yes get fit for them, it's really worth it especially if you plan to keep them longterm.

Lastly, hold on to your eye2 SW, it's such a good wedge Ping brought out a new glide es wedge that's basically the eye2 SW but a bit more modern looking and theyll charge €150 for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Montgolfier

Senna wrote: »
    If you are hitting the eye2s about similar distance to your playing partners, then you're in for a shock if you get new irons, your wedges will be 20 yards past their wedge!!
    The eye2s have traditional lofts, pw is 50.5 degrees, some of the new Taylor made irons have a pw at 43 degrees, so closer to the eye2 8i. Most sets have a pw around 45, so exactly your 9i.
    The eye2s are a great set of irons and if you hit them well, don't rush out to buy new irons, maybe get a few hybrids for the top end of the bag instead?
    Swapping from eye2s to anything bar SGI irons will take a big adjustment, but nothing a bit of extra practice won't sort out and if you do decide to buy, then yes get fit for them, it's really worth it especially if you plan to keep them longterm.

Lastly, hold on to your eye2 SW, it's such a good wedge Ping brought out a new glide es wedge that's basically the eye2 SW but a bit more modern looking and theyll charge €150 for it.

If he buys GI irons there will be a big jump.

On the otherhand a forged set won't see much of a jump pw typically about 47 degrees.

Another thing to be aware of is the lie angle; if your playing orange now (2.25deg flat). So if that's correct for you don't buy cast iron clubs as they difficult to bend.
    Best thing to do is get fitted irons are an expensive item buy off the shelf could lead to buying multiple sets to get one that suits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

If he buys GI irons there will be a big jump.

On the otherhand a forged set won't see much of a jump pw typically about 47 degrees.

Another thing to be aware of is the lie angle; if your playing orange now (2.25deg flat). So if that's correct for you don't buy cast iron clubs as they difficult to bend.
    Best thing to do is get fitted irons are an expensive item buy off the shelf could lead to buying multiple sets to get one that suits.

What are GI Irons? Our club mainly does Titliests so probally be a set of them. Thinking of maybe getting just 4-7 iron initially as I am comfortable enough with my 8 iron upwards or should I just go the whole hog? I fade the ball but I imagine that is more down to swing.
    Thanks for the advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

I would recommend keeping the iron set you have even if you upgrade.
    Too many stories of guys changing and then regretting it and their old set is gone and hard to get again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Luckycharm wrote: »
    What are GI Irons? Our club mainly does Titliests so probally be a set of them. Thinking of maybe getting just 4-7 iron initially as I am comfortable enough with my 8 iron upwards or should I just go the whole hog? I fade the ball but I imagine that is more down to swing.
    Thanks for the advice.

GI means Game Improving, just means irons that are designed to be a bit more forgiving.
    If it's going to be titleist, then you've probably going to be looking at either the ap1 or ap2.
    Not sure are ap1s counted as SGI Super Game Improving, but it doesn't mater, those are just terms to cover a general style of iron.

If you have a desire to get your handicap down, then the ap2s might be a good choice, their sole is a lot thinner than the eye2 so you will notice a big difference. If you fade the eye2 then the ap2 will aggravate that and probably cause the ball to go further right. A few lessons might be good idea to get rid of that ball flight before looking at new clubs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Ronney

Thanks for the advice.

GI are Game Improvement Irons. Usually Larger Heads, offset face, stronger lofts, wider soles.
    Aimed at higher handicaps as they are "easier" to hit.

In the Titleist range you would be looking at AP1's in terms of GI (although these are fine irons for most levels of players)

Titleist range from GI to "Players" Irons (high to low H/C)
    is AP1-AP2-CB-MB However Speight and plenty of tour players use AP2's so not an exact science)

Thanks I will definitely be keeping my Ping eye 2's just in case. I am more looking for something a bit more forgiving than extra distance. I hit a seven iron for example between 140-145 metres and than about 10ms difference for each other iron. I have a slight fade nothing major. I prefer hitting an iron to hybrid for example off a tee I seem to have more control in general. So I should be looking at AP1's any idea what I would be expected to fork out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Thanks I will definitely be keeping my Ping eye 2's just in case. I am more looking for something a bit more forgiving than extra distance. I hit a seven iron for example between 140-145 metres and than about 10ms difference for each other iron. I have a slight fade nothing major. I prefer hitting an iron to hybrid for example off a tee I seem to have more control in general. So I should be looking at AP1's any idea what I would be expected to fork out?

Not sure on prices but make sure to factor in an additional wedge too. With the changes in lofts you will probably need a 48* wedge to go with the PW on a new set. So 2 "PW's" basically.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Ronney

PARlance wrote: »
    Not sure on prices but make sure to factor in an additional wedge too. With the changes in lofts you will probably need a 48* wedge to go with the PW on a new set. So 2 "PW's" basically.

You would be looking bout 110-120 per club for steel shafts new,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

bought set of 4i-W ping G10 irons for €110 second hand delivered from donedeal last year!

make offers they usually accept .. example

https://www.donedeal.ie/golf-for-sale/ping-g-10-irons-from-4-iron-to-sand-wedge/11787176

• Advertisement

celtic_oz wrote: »
    bought set of 4i-W ping G10 irons for €110 second hand delivered from donedeal last year!

make offers they usually accept .. example

https://www.donedeal.ie/golf-for-sale/ping-g-10-irons-from-4-iron-to-sand-wedge/11787176

Thanks for that might do that.

Anyway I went for my custom fitting with our pro and basically got a lesson. He basically said no point in getting new irons till I sort out my stance, my left leg is way ahead of my right and to put the ball back in my stance so I am going to work on that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

Thanks for that might do that.

Anyway I went for my custom fitting with our pro and basically got a lesson. He basically said no point in getting new irons till I sort out my stance, my left leg is way ahead of my right and to put the ball back in my stance so I am going to work on that.

Madness.. only when all money is gone do we change our swing!! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

Luckycharm, just my 2cents, I've had my ping eye 2 irons since 1988 and I've been a 5 handicapper or thereabouts pretty much ever since.

Ive never been tempted to change (though some Titliest irons do look nice) I haven't noticed much difference in distance lost or gained one way or another

I wouldn't change them for the world only when shafts start breaking there'll be a problem to replace the shaft. In saying that I believe shafts become weaker or "dead" over time, mine probably are but they are grand for me.

If you do change your clubs please keep your eye2's in reserve.

Advertisement