Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Study area in Dublin

Options
  • 21-03-2016 3:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

Hey everyone

I'm currently finishing up a 5 week TEFL course and need somewhere quiet to study in Dublin. I'm not a student of any university and my school is a bit too noisy to concentrate in as it's on Grafton Street. Does anyone know of anywhere free and quiet to study in in the city?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

Hey everyone

I'm currently finishing up a 5 week TEFL course and need somewhere quiet to study in Dublin. I'm not a student of any university and my school is a bit too noisy to concentrate in as it's on Grafton Street. Does anyone know of anywhere free and quiet to study in in the city?

Try the ilac centre library.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭johnmolly92

Pearse street library is great. Very central location too.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭flowerbattle

Thanks guys!! Totally forgot about public libraries hahaha!

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Bayb12

Would any of the libraries here be busy with children on the weekends? I'very used public libraries before but found them way too noisy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

Bayb12 wrote: »
    Would any of the libraries here be busy with children on the weekends? I'very used public libraries before but found them way too noisy

Rathmines study area is separated from the rest of the library ie the books are downstairs and the study area is upstairs. I have been to it a few times and the only noise was coming from OAPs on the computers who thought it was acceptable to be having full on conservations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

rathmines library is a gorgeous place to study. Went there after school everyday for all of 6th year..always looked forward to the warm peaceful study area with views out onto the busy streets below!

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭CM24

Is it free wi-fi in Rathfarnham library? Occasionally I need to go somewhere quiet to get things done on my laptop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

wakka12 wrote: »
    rathmines library is a gorgeous place to study. Went there after school everyday for all of 6th year..always looked forward to the warm peaceful study area with views out onto the busy streets below!

A few weeks ago I went to Rathmines Library to do some work with my laptop and went upstairs to the study area. I sat towards the window looking out on the main street. Plugged in my laptop after asking the occupant of the seat could I do this.
    Good and Well. It's about 9.55am at this stage

............cue 15 minutes later, a "gent" more stockier than me comes over and starts setting himself up to my left. He is clearly miffed about something, or the fact that I arrived and had set up before him. In any case, he gets his laptop out and turns it on..... Only every 10 to 15 minutes he turns around and seems to 'react' to phantom incidents. He does not devote that much concentration on his own work. The fella to my right notices this too, and when the "gent" leaves the room briefly, we talk about him.
    I am not going to challenge this gent because he's a bit stockier than me.

but yeah...I could have got a bit more done I suppose without him there.

My point is it can be a bit of pot luck sometimes....also secondary school students can be a bit of an issue as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

CM24 wrote: »
    Is it free wi-fi in Rathfarnham library? Occasionally I need to go somewhere quiet to get things done on my laptop.

Yes, free. Bear in mind it's not great and is a bit intermittently compared to ilac and other libraries.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

National Archives is good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭smegmar

There's a study room in the Clockwork Door. It's a new place on the Quays by the ha'penny. It's a pay per minute thing, but it's open much longer than the libraries evenings and weekends, and teas & coffee are included in the price. I've found it quieter that you would expect being beside temple bar square.

Advertisement