Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Bike nearly impounded for not having insurance cert

• 21-03-2016 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

So I was stopped by a garda this weekend. I had an expired tax disc, with new one paid and on the way in post. He told me, if its not displayed its not taxed. I told him I object to that and he can check with motor tax office if he wants to. Another 30mins later of me sitting on a curb and him in his car, he came out and asked me if i have my insurance cert on me. I told him i don't have to carry it, I have my licence and tax displayed, that's it. He said if I can't prove it's insured he's calling the tow truck and I can get my bike back in few days. At this point we were there for around an hour already. He started walking around the bike, asking if I can even ride this on a provisional (Ninja 250r, yes i can). Obviously I needed my bike so i said ill log in to my online policy with Liberty and show him the policy. Did that, he spent another 20mins scrolling up and down on my phone, eventually asking if it's paid in installments, said yes, so he goes: how am i suppose to know you paid your last installment (WTF?!). Told him its an active policy and theres a date shown on the site. Overall wasted 2 hours with him, eventually letting me go.

So I've 2 questions, first, if im taxed but the disc hasn't arrived yet, can i be on the road? 2nd, do I have to carry my insurance cert printed with me at all times, or have my phone charged and topped up for internet, in case this happens again?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

The offence is non display of your tax disc.

Always worth printing off the receipt if it hasn't arrived in time.

Can't answer you on the cert.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Well, that garda was a complete wãnker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,347 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Cienciano wrote: »
    Well, that garda was a complete wãnker.

Perhaps there's more to this....

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Mixed89

endacl wrote: »
    Perhaps there's more to this....

There might be, but i'm not sharing the rest of the story as I'm actually building up a case after this incident. At the end of the day he has no right to take the bike off the road if it is properly taxed and insured. My main concern is about the insurance, if I have to carry the cert with me at all times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

He probably wanted a go on it and was looking for an excuse to take it off you haha

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Rather than disagreeing with him you should have showed him the email receipt of you paying the tax and said 'sorry officer'.
    I know I'm generalising but fellas (and gals) in uniform typically don't respond well to someone openly disagreeing with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

I had something similar before but with a car.

Stopped at a check point on my way back from a game.
    Guard first claimed that my rear bumper was sitting on the back seat - bumper was where it was supposed to be - item on the back site was an inside panel from the boot I'd removed to check some wiring and hadn't put back on yet.
    After he checked this, he then claimed it was my front bumper.
    After he confirmed it wasn't, he claimed it was my dashboard.
    Then went back to it being my rear bumper...

After giving up on that approach he claimed, after checking the disks in the window, that I had no tax. I took out the disk and showed it to him.
    Then it was no NCT. Took it out and showed it to him.
    Then it was insurance. Took it out and showed it to him.

Then he asked for the rest of the cert - which I didn't have with me.

He gave me a few days to present it in the local station - who gave me some weird looks when I explained why I was there...

TL/DR: They just use it to harass you if they can't get you for actually doing anything wrong but don't like the look of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Mixed89

mcgovern wrote: »

Guard first claimed that my rear bumper was sitting on the back seat - bumper was where it was supposed to be - item on the back site was an inside panel from the boot I'd removed to check some wiring and hadn't put back on yet.

After giving up on that approach he claimed, after checking the disks in the window, that I had no tax. I took out the disk and showed it to him.

He gave me a few days to present it in the local station - who gave me some weird looks when I explained why I was there...

TL/DR: They just use it to harass you if they can't get you for actually doing anything wrong but don't like the look of you.

Oh wow, next time I'll just be nodding my head and repeating "yes sir". It honestly felt like he was trying to catch me out on a single thing. And I've been stopped at least twice before that, never had an issue with any other garda.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Did you buy the bike off someone who was a bit sketchy?

Why did he stop you in the first place?

I have had bikes since 1981. Only ever stopped at police checkpoint/gardas alcohol testing. What do you do to get stopped a few times but you are only starting out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

could be stopping him because he has the L tabard on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 880 ✭✭✭mamax

I printed out 2 copies of my insurance cert and laminated both so they wont fall apart if they get wet and keep one in each jacket.
    I also keep a screenshot of cert/tax and and emails relating to payments made for anything to do with the bike on my phone.
    Not been stopped yet but when I was a young lad I learned the hard way, when your on a bike your an easy target for those cops on a power trip, when asked you produce all your documentation, respond to all question with either a yes or no, and when he tells you you can leave say Thank You, it's the best way to deal with those wanker cops, don't give them any excuse and next time he won't waste his time when he sees you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

How long was your tax out of date..?...did it expire on 31st of Feb..?..if so its nearly 3 weeks out..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭prunudo

How long was your tax out of date..?...did it expire on 31st of Feb..?..if so its nearly 3 weeks out..

If it expired on the 31st the Garda might have suspected it was a fake disc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Mixed89 wrote: »
    So I was stopped by a garda this weekend. I had an expired tax disc, with new one paid and on the way in post. He told me, if its not displayed its not taxed. I told him I object to that and he can check with motor tax office if he wants to. Another 30mins later of me sitting on a curb and him in his car, he came out and asked me if i have my insurance cert on me. I told him i don't have to carry it, I have my licence and tax displayed, that's it. He said if I can't prove it's insured he's calling the tow truck and I can get my bike back in few days. At this point we were there for around an hour already. He started walking around the bike, asking if I can even ride this on a provisional (Ninja 250r, yes i can). Obviously I needed my bike so i said ill log in to my online policy with Liberty and show him the policy. Did that, he spent another 20mins scrolling up and down on my phone, eventually asking if it's paid in installments, said yes, so he goes: how am i suppose to know you paid your last installment (WTF?!). Told him its an active policy and theres a date shown on the site. Overall wasted 2 hours with him, eventually letting me go.

So I've 2 questions, first, if im taxed but the disc hasn't arrived yet, can i be on the road? 2nd, do I have to carry my insurance cert printed with me at all times, or have my phone charged and topped up for internet, in case this happens again?

Since he didn't believe that you where insured when you showed him the online account a piece of paper wouldn't cut it. We really need a system like the UK where the police can call a central number 24 hours a day to verify the policy.

You must have done something to really annoy the Guard for him to spend 2 hours dealing with you. Do you ask why wasn't he out catching real criminals?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭dev100

You have a month to pay it once it's expired ...it's a no brainer now anyway . Even if it wasn't taxed for a few months you would still end up back taxing it with the rules that came in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,446 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

You failed the all important attitude test.
    You did not have valid tax displayed. Whether paid for or not, that is an offence and as such garda was within his right to fine you if he wished.
    If you had been nice about it instead of disagreeing with him, things might have gone alot better.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭johnmolly92

Boskowski wrote: »
    Rather than disagreeing with him you should have showed him the email receipt of you paying the tax and said 'sorry officer'.
    I know I'm generalising but fellas (and gals) in uniform typically don't respond well to someone openly disagreeing with them.

Too right, dont give them any extra excuses

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

dev100 wrote: »
    You have a month to pay it once it's expired ...it's a no brainer now anyway . Even if it wasn't taxed for a few months you would still end up back taxing it with the rules that came in

With tax being a reasonable amount why wouldn't you keep it up to date, there's no advantage in letting it lapse....if you haven't got tax its reasonable to assume that the bike may not be insured too....and maybe he was driving like a knob, we only have his story..

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭dre_jspeed

I remember when I was learner, I was told be my instructor to carry my insurance cert. In case of the original OP's situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You have a month to pay it once it's expired
    No, you don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

mickdw wrote: »
    You failed the all important attitude test.
    While I hate to say it, the "yes guard, no guard, 3 bags full guard" is the best approach. Even when the guard is being a smartarse, the best approach is to not be smart back. Difficult to do, but it'll save you time in the long run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭prunudo

It's a strange situation really, on one hand we give out about getting stuck at a checkpoint and the Gardai grilling us about our bikes being insured, taxed etc. All theyre doing is making sure that the information stacks up.

On the other hand when bikes get robbed we give out that the Gardai don't bother checking if bikes/riders are legit and don't do enough to get our things back.

Can't have it both ways. Only way to stop hassle is have a good attitude, don't be confrontational and carry copies of insurance documents etc.

Ps. and to add. Yes there can be some Gardai who are more picky than others, but these are the ones that by not being a dick will get you along your way.
    You can then ride away, enjoy the open road knowing he will still be a dick at the end of day but you had a good spin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

The poor auld gardai can never seem to do anything right,they way some people go on about them here.

Whenever I do my motortax or insurance online I allways take a pic of the purchase with my phone.
    Handy to have while Im waiting the 4 days for the disc or certs to arrive in the post.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Where'd you get that from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

mcgovern wrote: »

Just ask to see the Garda's warrant card!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Got stopped for the first time in years, Huge guard, flanked by chaps with uziis/ak47s? in summerhill (dublin) on my home, ask whether I have tax or not, said yep, its in my pocket, I'll get it out, just waved me on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭dev100

With tax being a reasonable amount why wouldn't you keep it up to date, there's no advantage in letting it lapse....if you haven't got tax its reasonable to assume that the bike may not be insured too....and maybe he was driving like a knob, we only have his story..

Sure these things happen. There's always 2 sides to a story. Your right it's of no advantage anymore as you will have to back tax anyway . This sounds like an ego trip, the vast majority of cops have common sense you will get a small number of head cases who won't be reasoned with, best case is don't argue with a fool you will never win .

seamus wrote:
    No, you don't.

My tax expired at the end of feb:

On the tax renewal form section 01 (iv)
    Application is made prior to or during March 2016

So as long I've paid my car tax within the month of March the cops don't interfere with ya

I've went thru many a check point having done that and nothing has ever been said and Go over the month they will talk to ya .

Well that's my interpretation of it :)

MarkR wrote:
    Where'd you get that from?

See above

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

On a loosely related subject someone might point me in the right direction.

I bought a new bike three weeks ago and only received my documents through the post this morning.

I went to tax the bike but its taxed until May, but I don't have a tax disc!.

Simple question, how do I go about getting a replacement and is there a charge for a replacement?.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭millingmachine

I went to tax the bike but its taxed until May, but I don't have a tax disc!.

Simple question, how do I go about getting a replacement and is there a charge for a replacement?.
    You'll have to go to the tax office, get the replacement form, go to the cop shop, get it stamped & back to the tax office. it's a few years ago that I had to do the same. Think it was 30 euro for the replacement disc.

Advertisement