Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommend trainer for cat/dog issue!

• 21-03-2016 4:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭

We've recently acquired a second rescue dog and she is brilliant with our dog..all good there. However she is obsessed with our cat..if she even sees the cat through a window she will whine and bark at her til the cat moves. If she spots her through a window or up on a windowsill she will stay there and whine and whine for hours at her. if the cat moves outside, she paces inside trying to get a glimpse of her. If the cat goes into another room, she will scratch the door and carpet outside that room for literally hours. We've only had her 2 weeks but we think this might need the help of an outside trainer as we've tried the gentle introductions with dog on lead and being able to see her and not touch her etc. but her obsession gets worse by the day. She's a Jack Russell terrier mix (mixed with what we don't know!). Shes such a sweet dog otherwise and we definitely don't want to re home her or have the added stress of trying to keep them separate all the time. Any trainers in Dublin or nearby that might deal with this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

cant recommend trainers for you, but will say that when I rescued a kitten, I thought there would be no way our JRT X would ever accept a kitten/cat. He was such a pain anytime the kitten was in sight - whining, pacing, panting, etc etc. Over weeks and weeks of letting him see her in my arms, and through a glass door, and through a baby-gate, and on a leash etc. we finally are at the stage now when they are REALLY GOOD FRIENDS! :) It took many many weeks though. On the day when I cracked, and thought ok make-or-break, the kitten has to go, or we sort this. I let the kitten loose in the sitting room, with my finger hooked in the dogs collar, talking calmly to him, giving him treats, and staying calm. The kitten started to be brave - doors open for her to escape/place for her to climb out of way of dog set up in advance - she moved around the room, well away from him. This went on for a short time over a few days. Allowing the kitten more and more time in the same room as the dog. Until it was time to let go of the collar, but other family members around to grab cat/dog. The kitten scratched the dog on the nose a few times when he got too near - hes a wimp, if your dog is a bit of a wimp that would really help - she ran under the sofa's...

As I say, it took weeks and weeks of patience to get where we are today - terrier and cat in same bed, sharing a food bowl, playing hide and seek.

Try distracting your terrier when he starts getting manic about the cat, with bits of treats, or stuffed toys, or games.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭loup

Wow thanks that is really useful. So far she has only seen cat through glass doors, we might try both in the same room and build up that way. Thanks you have given me great hope.. I will keep you updated!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Trainer-wise, a firm favourite here on this forum is the lovely and very talented Emmaline Duffy-Fallon of http://www.citizencanineireland.com
    Emmaline has dealt with this very issue many times, and will help you put a realistic plan in place. Hopefully you'll achieve some form of peace... She sounds like a super little dog otherwise :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Can't recommend a trainer, but please try and get her to focus away from the cat a little before you try the same room. Is she ball oriented? Or food?
    Also use a lead when you have them in same room, keep a good hold, and try getting her focus off the cat.
    Make sure cat can escape, you don't want a stressed cat too.
    Above all, take it slow, it can take weeks or months, but it will be worth it.
    I've only done puppy intros, one with a very calm cat, then another cat that used to dogs, younger dog thinks she's a cat, so she was fine.
    Depending on the size of your cat and the dog, a baby gate could be very useful, for seeing each other safely.

Thanks so much for these tips they are great and I will definitely contact that trainer. The new dog is very much food motivated and loves her squeaky tennis ball too so we are lucky in that respect!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

You can be your own trainer and save a lot of money.

I have an elderly rescue dog who was a fierce cat hater.
    Don't tell me you can't teach an old dog new tricks!
    And don't underestimate the charming cunning of cats!

Last summer I've been adopted by a kitten http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057475235

By taking the kitten up in my arms outside the window and showing it to the fiercely barking dog inside (showing her to acknowledge that the kitten is part of the family), by going out into the vast garden with the dog on the very long leash and letting the kitten do his charms and by letting them sniff each other and making sure that the more insecure rescue dog is still number one - it finally turned out that both of them can have fun by playing together.

It took about six month to get them used to each other. Until the cat moved in and made himself comfortable on the sofa - together with the dog. ( I still have chairs to sit on - who needs a sofa ...)

They are best friends now, the bloody cat even goes walking with me and the dog (I feel like a pied piper to the amusement of my neighbours) - and they both gang up together to manipulate me. Especially in front of the fridge - boy, can they do the famine victims side by side when it comes to food!
    Not to mention that they now both sleep on my bed, cuddled up and and in cohorts to wake me up at an unhuman time.

So take your time to get those menagerie together. Believe me, with a little bit of patience and a bit of cunning by yourself (always make clear that doggie is second in command!) you'll have a fine and amicable animal dominion which will show you how insignificant you are as human ... :rolleyes:

Thanks Carry how long did you expose the cat to the fiercely barking dog? This is exactly what we have here at the moment!

DBB wrote: »
    Trainer-wise, a firm favourite here on this forum is the lovely and very talented Emmaline Duffy-Fallon of http://www.citizencanineireland.com
    Emmaline has dealt with this very issue many times, and will help you put a realistic plan in place. Hopefully you'll achieve some form of peace... She sounds like a super little dog otherwise :)

Thanks for this..Emmaline was with us today and we have made great progress already. I'm seeing a light at the end of the tunnel. Will keep this thread updated with progress.

Advertisement