Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows resellers on reddit

Options
  • 21-03-2016 4:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

I am looking at at purchasing a windows key for a USB boot of a new computer build.

Reddit have resellers pricing Windows 10 at about $40 which is obviously pretty cheap. Has anyone any experience or can recommend a particular reseller because they all look the same to me?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

I am looking at at purchasing a windows key for a USB boot of a new computer build.

Reddit have resellers pricing Windows 10 at about $40 which is obviously pretty cheap. Has anyone any experience or can recommend a particular reseller because they all look the same to me?

Why not get Win 8.1 for $25 and then upgrade it to Win 10 for free? Most of the sellers are grand on there from what I have seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭davo2001

Bought a Windows 7 key for $20, activated it and then updated to Win 10. No issues. Got my key off s5ean.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 WilliamEgan

I did not realise you could do that? Thanks for the heads up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

went through the same process. bought win 7 x64 for €21. upgraded to Win 10.
    Very happy with the price!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

I did as others and got an 8 key then upgraded to 10. I don't know which seller I used but it worked out great

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Just remember that the offer of the free Win 10 upgrade expires in June/July this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/howtotell/Shop.aspx
    With the exception of Product Key Cards (PKC’s) distributed with COA’s, Microsoft does not distribute products keys as standalone products. If you see a listing on an auction site, online classified ad, or other online page advertising product keys for sale, it’s a good indication that the keys are likely stolen or counterfeit. If you were to purchase and use a stolen or counterfeit product key to activate Windows installed on your PC, the key may not work for activation, may already be in use on another PC, or it might be blocked from use later by Microsoft when the key is reported stolen. The best way to get everything you expect up front is to buy genuine Microsoft software preinstalled on a new PC or genuine Microsoft software from an authorized reseller.

Buying Microsoft keys from any reseller is piracy - except you're giving the pirates money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/howtotell/Shop.aspx

Buying Microsoft keys from any reseller is piracy - except you're giving the pirates money.

To be honest, never knew that! Cheers.

EDIT: Removed quote, as you put in the relevant bit yourself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I have used a lot of them, they have a high failure rate for certain versions of Windows. Particularly the 'N' versions for whatever reason. Upgrading to Win10 is the best option.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,321 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Reddit keys are NOT legitimate

They might not work or they might (for a while or permanently) but even if they do, your license is invalid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I have used a lot of them, they have a high failure rate for certain versions of Windows. Particularly the 'N' versions for whatever reason. Upgrading to Win10 is the best option.

Lol, N specific keys are clear indicator of them selling MSDN account keys. While you get 5 keys per product, they don't seem to have a activation limit or if they do its off the charts.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Lol, N specific keys are clear indicator of them selling MSDN account keys. While you get 5 keys per product, they don't seem to have a activation limit or if they do its off the charts.

You get 5? :pac: MSDN Academy only gives one copy of each product with ??? Activations.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

ED E wrote: »
    You get 5? :pac: MSDN Academy only gives one copy of each product with ??? Activations.

My subscription is visual studio enterprise with MSDN. Cost has come way down, its only 3k a year. I remember when I found pricing in the 15k bracket. I reckon the people on reddit are buying a subscription, handing out keys till they hit the magical activation limit, then just buying another subscription.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

My subscription is visual studio enterprise with MSDN. Cost has come way down, its only 3k a year. I remember when I found pricing in the 15k bracket. I reckon the people on reddit are buying a subscription, handing out keys till they hit the magical activation limit, then just buying another subscription.

I thought they were raiding Dreamspark accounts of students who will never use the service (e.g. A law student isn't going to use a Windows 7 Academic license/ will probably never log in and see what's available).

MSDN plus increasingly Bizspark and Dreamspark these days pretty much sums up the source of Reddit keys

None legal to resell obviously.

None will give you a genuine licensed system if you buy one obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

I've 2 genuine copies of windows 10 which originated from Windows 7 and 8.1 keys from reddit. The original key source may not be legit or legal but when you upgrade you get a shiny copy of windows 10 without issue. If that ever stops being the case I'll worry about it then.

Your keys were NOT genuine, but once you upgraded to Windows 10 and it activated, it is very unlikely you will run into trouble. At some point Gabe Aul himself even hinted that hacked (KMS activated) versions of Windows 7 would upgrade to 10 and activate.

If all you are interested in is a W10 install that won't cause you trouble, you could have saved yourself the money you paid to the reddit seller ;)

I had a KMS activated copy of windows 7 too which Microsoft kindly upgraded to genuine windows 10 for me but I reckoned I got lucky on that one which is why when I needed two more OS's, I bought two cheap keys from reddit and instantly upgraded to 10.

Some would say you got lucky 3 times. I say it was a waste of money buying the reddit keys :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

They are probably MSDN keys being resold on Reddit. You'll get them cheap, but Microsoft could revoke those keys at any time, if they're being resold from an MSDN subscription. I'd be careful.

• Advertisement

unkel wrote:
    Some would say you got lucky 3 times. I say it was a waste of money buying the reddit keys

I wouldn't. They were a bargain, the windows versions I used them with activated and told me they were genuine windows products and then they all upgraded to 10 for nothing.

You paid money for a non-genuine license that activated your Windows 10. You could have got a non-genuine license that activated your Windows 10 for free. Is all I'm saying...

All this reddit windows license "resell" lark makes my genuine Windows 8 professional licenses that I bought from Microsoft for €14.99 each look very good value for money.

I paid very little money relative to retail costs and i got keys for Windows 7,which activated and said it's genuine, and Windows 8.1 which activated and said it's genuine. And both of them ended up as genuine windows 10. You say they weren't genuine, Microsoft clearly disagreed.

Yes you too got excellent value and I'm sure if we could all buy keys for 15 quid direct from Microsoft we would do. But we can't so people go to reddit and by and large it works from my own experience. The legality of it is not something I'm arsed with to be honest, doesn't look like MS are either since the keys work.

superg wrote: »
    I paid very little money relative to retail costs and i got keys for Windows 7,which activated and said it's genuine, and Windows 8.1 which activated and said it's genuine. And both of them ended up as genuine windows 10. You say they weren't genuine, Microsoft clearly disagreed.

Yes you too got excellent value and I'm sure if we could all buy keys for 15 quid direct from Microsoft we would do. But we can't so people go to reddit and by and large it works from my own experience. The legality of it is not something I'm arsed with to be honest, doesn't look like MS are either since the keys work.

You arent reading what he's saying.

You paid for a key. The key is real(genuine). Your are not licensed to use Windows.

Basically what you're doing is paying for a torrent of a movie. Its the real movie, but you have no licence to have or view it.

Pragmatically, MS know this goes on and doesn't really stop it as they know they'd be hurt if they ever really enforced it (supposedly less than half of Chinese windows users actually buy a licence). So you could say you feel like you aren't stealing if you use a reddit key, but by the law you are.

Since I'm never paying full price for Windows and MS themselves aren't arsed with stopping this practice and are infact giving everybody who wants one a free licence to use Windows 10 via these keys then I'm not sure why anybody should be advised not to buy them if they plan to use it to upgrade to 10 immediately. So while I may not be licensed to use the version I bought a key for, I bought those keys knowing full well I would be upgrading and therefore got myself fully legit and licensed version's of Windows to use for very little cash. And yes I could have torrented it and done it that way too but the keys were €30 total so why bother. As a poster says above, its risky. Well if the risk is losing 30 quid, it not a risk worth worrying about. Bill Gates won't be at your door looking for his money. If the sellers haven't had the law onto them over it then there's no chance somebody who buys one or two will either.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Eoinmc97

In terms of getting licences revoked, I'd say wait until Redstone hits. Windows Redstone has some way of verifying your key's origins, so I would say hold out until Redstone is launched, and if Redstone can actually revoke some user's liscences.
    I think Microsoft need to atleast drop the price to about €80, as €120 is quite extortionate.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Pirates will find a way around it. I will be an adapter of such a workaround.

As much as I want Linux to take over, its not happening, until I can get a Windows key legit for under €30 I won't be paying for it, my data is worth enough to them, never mind the licence key.

Eoinmc97 wrote: »
    In terms of getting licences revoked, I'd say wait until Redstone hits. Windows Redstone has some way of verifying your key's origins, so I would say hold out until Redstone is launched, and if Redstone can actually revoke some user's liscences.
    I think Microsoft need to atleast drop the price to about €80, as €120 is quite extortionate.

One term, SaaS.

You can bet your bottom dollar you'll be paying €x/mo or /anum very soon. Same as Adobe CC or Office 365.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭satguy

You could try this way.. Windows 10 for $20

Link to YT channel
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXTqz3Fd28M

I myself have used reddit keys many many times and never had a problem, I bought W7 and upgraded to W10,, no probs..

• Advertisement

superg wrote: »
    I may not be licensed to use the version I bought a key for, I bought those keys knowing full well I would be upgrading and therefore got myself fully legit and licensed version's of Windows

Nope. Your Windows 10 is activated, but it is not legit and not licensed.
    ED E wrote: »
    Basically what you're doing is paying for a torrent of a movie.

:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement