Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple event for iPhone SE and new iPad Air - March 2016

• 21-03-2016 5:49pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Starting in 10 minutes. You can watch it live here.

Two major announcements expected: 4-inch iPhone (iPhone SE) and new iPad Air (re-branded as iPad Pro).

The event should also see the release iOS 9.3 and OS X 10.11.4 and a refresh of the iTunes app (apparently as a holdover pending a through redesign of the app).

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

$50 price drop for the Apple watch. And new nylon bands.

tvOS update.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

iPhone SE looks just like the 5/5s. But has similar internals to 6.

Underwhelming. I'm glad I didn't wait for it.

iOS 9.3. Out today.

Annual dig at Android's poor adoption levels. Yawn. Google need to do something about this so that Apple feel like they have competition in mobile OS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

Very low key presentation. Nothing like when the whole world tuned into see Jobs but....

The price drops are significant. Abd the SE has pretty good internals. Eventually they need a 4" with a new design every year with this year's internals and that will be a huge seller

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

$399 in the USA, what are we looking at here realistically?

• Advertisement

It's a smaller on-campus event. Even Jobs did them. The big events come later in the year.

Zonda999 wrote: »
    $399 in the USA, what are we looking at here realistically?

Depends on the euro/dollar. I haven't been keeping track.

iPad Air is now iPad Pro. With pencil support.

Powered USB adapter, can be used to connect to ethernet and connect microphones. Will be a big deal for many users.

New Air/Pro starts at $599 (versus previous 499). They dropped the 16GB model without dropping the price. Ha!

Not that anyone would have bought the 16GB model had they kept it, but this will be controversial.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Nibs05

Bleh it seems the iPad is geared for non consumers, and claims it will replace a PC, get a grip Apple :mad:

Edit: another rant, if it's this powerful why not run OS X, I reckon it would fly off the shelves.

No Mac love. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,499 ✭✭✭✭Caoimhgh1n

That was a bit of a disappointment. Especially the iPad and what they are trying to do with it.

They aren't doing anything with the iPad with that they weren't already doing. Adding "Pro" to the name doesn't mean anything beyond marketing. The pencil was a bigger deal.

They are always rebranding things as Pro. See the 13-inch MacBook Pro.

It's a smaller on-campus event. Even Jobs did them. The big events come later in the year.

I know. I watched the iPod town hall event. But this was lack lustre (until Phil)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Niemoj

€500 for a 16GB 4" phone... Apple are out of it!

Really disappointing pricing :/

I agree, what I meant was they are trying to claim an iPad can replace a PC.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

So no iWatch 2 news?

Niemoj wrote: »

It's $399. Where did you get the euro pricing?

Caoimhgh1n wrote: »
    I agree, what I meant was they are trying to claim an iPad can replace a PC.

Well that's their long term aim. Because they sell more iPads than macs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Hiwazup

Dunno where they get the exchange rate, 699€ for the 32GB, 879€ for the 128GB vs 599$ and 750$!

It's $399. Where did you get the euro pricing?

Apple's website..

Niemoj wrote: »

That is unlocked, they will be around 50 euro less in shops like Three and Vodafone. It isn't that bad really, considering the other iPhones.

Apple's website..

Even taking into account VAT that's gouging a bit. But will mostly be sold on contract.

That is unlocked, they will be around 50 euro less in shops like Three and Vodafone. It isn't that bad really, considering the other iPhones.

It's just the psychological upfront number. $399 is cheap considering the internals (except memory) but €500 isn't.

I see they're offering some trade in for Ireland though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Niemoj

Just noticed the iPad Pro goes up to 256GB now!

That is absolutely crazy for what is a mobile OS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

Am I right in saying that the SE is essentially an iPhone 6S, just in a smaller package? Or is it missing significant features that the iPhone 6S has?

I've previously decided against buying a 6/6S as it's simply too big. If the SE actually is a 6S with a smaller screen then I'll be buying one.

PrettyBoy wrote: »
    Am I right in saying that the SE is essentially an iPhone 6S, just in a smaller package? Or is it missing significant features that the iPhone 6S has?

I've previously decided against buying a 6/6S as it's simply too big. If the SE actually is a 6S with a smaller screen then I'll be buying one.

Yes, it is basically a 6s in a smaller body.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Ridiculous pricing on the iPad pro. Taking the piss.

Apple going from a "premium" brand to a gouging brand slowly but surely.

Not a hope of me paying that sort of money for an iPad and that's coming from someone who has had one since its original launch in the States.

I have starting falling out of love with Apple over the last 12 months or so and this continues the trend.

Sooner or later people will look elsewhere IMO.

Advertisement