Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple event for iPhone SE and new iPad Air - March 2016

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Inquitus wrote: »
    Not much to speak about here, highly underwhelming, but a 4" iPhone with updated internals will sell well though you'd think, there's defo a section of society not enamoured with Gigantiphones.

I was one of them and was waiting for a 4-inch redesign for ages. I finally gave in and got a 6s before Christmas and now I don't think I could go back. Even if I do miss being able to easily reach the top left corner.

I'm glad I didn't wait since it's apparent that Apple's heart isn't in the SE and they are only keeping the 4-inch around because it sells.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Hmmm while it's kinda cool, I can't see myself using Night Shift.

I love it for reading in bed. I'm not sure if it makes me sleep better but the warmer tones are nicer to look at.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

It'll be ok for checking an email or a quick news headline or something but I don't think I'll be watching video or surfing the net with it on
    Zcott wrote: »
    I love it for reading in bed. I'm not sure if it makes me sleep better but the warmer tones are nicer to look at.

I'm going to give it a try for a few days.

It shifts gradually yes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,499 ✭✭✭✭Caoimhgh1n

I'm going to give it a try for a few days.

It shifts gradually yes?

You can change the warmness in settings and a timer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Backpack20

Any solution to my problem ? Updated iPhone to iOS 9.3 and nothing has changed .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Backpack20 wrote: »
    Any solution to my problem ? Updated iPhone to iOS 9.3 and nothing has changed .

What phone have you got? Someone above said you need a 5S or later

Iphone 5 c

Ahh ! Just googled it there... Yah iPhone 5c are not compatable .

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭bisounours

I'm being a bit dense now, but why, if the 5SE has the same specs as the 6S, albeit in a smaller package (which some would argue is better) is it $200 less ?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

bisounours wrote: »
    I'm being a bit dense now, but why, if the 5SE has the same specs as the 6S, albeit in a smaller package (which some would argue is better) is it $200 less ?
    SE only has a 1.2mp camera on the front, doesn't have 3D Touch and is only a 4" screen. Contrast ratios of the screen on the SE isn't as good and the SE doesn't have a barometer.

• Advertisement

It may also have less RAM. We'll have to wait for a teardown to find out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Niemoj

I have a 5.5" phone and that feels small for me so I personally wouldn't have thought there was a market for a "tiny" 4" phone but seemily I am very very wrong and there's a massive market for this!

The more ya know!

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Kagawa

Was planning on getting the black milanese loop strap for my Apple watch sport, but its 229 instead of the 169 for the silver version. Thats a joke, there's no reason for it to be more expensive than the silver version surely.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Kagawa wrote: »
    Was planning on getting the black milanese loop strap for my Apple watch sport, but its 229 instead of the 169 for the silver version. Thats a joke, there's no reason for it to be more expensive than the silver version surely.

If its a popular colour it will be more expensive. Thats how economics work and apple knows that

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

The black one also has DLC coating on it like the space black link bracelet. A friend has that bracelet and he absolutely abuses his watch and there's not a scratch on it.

Not sure it justifies the price difference but this is what Apple will say.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Appleguy

Also notice weekend get the Apple Watch Discount.

$299 in the states and €379 here

Appleguy wrote: »
    Also notice weekend get the Apple Watch Discount.

$299 in the states and €379 here

It was €429.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ariksand

Was there no mention of Apple Watch 2 in the event? I was kind of holding out buying one thinking (believing rumours!) there would be an updated model.

Probably looking at September now? Though, what could they do with it that they don't already? It doesn't appear as though much effort has gone into development for it?

iPad pro looks great, but replace the PC? Not without a file system it won't.

Surprised at the spec in the SE. I think it's priced OK too considering.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,485 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

It was €429.

Obviously not selling.

I'm shocked at the iPad prices. Got iPad Air Mk1 , 2 years ago for €579 for 32gb. 16 gb was the base model then for€499.
    Granted the Euro was stronger but €699 for the cheapest iPad is crazy.

murpho999 wrote: »
    Obviously not selling.

I'm shocked at the iPad prices. Got iPad Air 2 years ago for €579 for 32gb. 16 gb was the base model then for€499.
    Granted the Euro was stronger but €699 for the cheapest iPad is crazy.

I got the Air 2 then too, for 509, but the iPad pro is a better machine, hence the price. The Air 2 is still for sale, same with a lot of the older iPads, which are more than suitable for the majority of users.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

Caoimhgh1n wrote: »
    I got the Air 2 then too, for 509, but the iPad pro is a better machine, hence the price. The Air 2 is still for sale, same with a lot of the older iPads, which are more than suitable for the majority of users.

Spec wish it is better but €700 for only 32GB of memory less OS space is a joke IMO.

I'd attribute the Watch price drop more to the current model being almost a year old and they don't intend to release a new one for several more months to a year. Plus they are making enough from sales of the straps.

€699 would put me off getting the iPad Pro as well. But I think Apple always intended to push the price of the iPad up. And with the Mini and old Air available at lower prices, I think they are justified in doing that now. The iPad can't become a viable laptop replacement as long as it's sporting last gen iPhone internals. It needs to be more powerful than the iPhone, but that means it needs to be as, if not more expensive as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,485 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Caoimhgh1n wrote: »

Of course it's better as it's 2 years later.

At the the time the iPad Air was the best iPad you can get and superseded the Ipad Retina Display but was priced similar.

They have increased the prices big time

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Did the Apple Watch prices drop for Ireland too? Can't notice any differences.

EDIT: Never mind, was getting prices confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Deciding which to buy as in US at moment. Surface pro 4 or I pad pro. Surface pro 4 256 ssd with i5 chip is on Amazon .com for around 1197 delivered. I pad pro is bit dearer with pencil. Anyone any experience with either?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭whippet

mad m wrote: »
    Deciding which to buy as in US at moment. Surface pro 4 or I pad pro. Surface pro 4 256 ssd with i5 chip is on Amazon .com for around 1197 delivered. I pad pro is bit dearer with pencil. Anyone any experience with either?

The surface pro comes with a pen also.

The surface is a laptop while the iPad pro is just an iPad.

If you want a tablet to replace your laptop the surface is the winner. Once you get you head around Win 10 the surface is streets ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

I'd attribute the Watch price drop more to the current model being almost a year old and they don't intend to release a new one for several more months to a year. Plus they are making enough from sales of the straps.

"Let's make less profit on this hardware" not really in keeping with the Apple MO is it. Price cuts on current hardware is pretty rare. Outside of the original iPhone I'm struggling to think of examples. There's plenty of stuff they sell that's overdue a replacement and they'll still sell at full price.

Doing it to juice strap sales doesn't make sense either. They said that 30 % of their customers regularly swap straps. Okay but how many straps are they actually buying and what type. And particularly at the sport price point. Are they buying a single rubber strap or a milanese loop. Either way it'd be hard to imagine they're not loosing. That hundred dollars they're giving up is pure gravy. Like the original iPhone, I think this is an acknowledgement that they've priced it wrong. We'll know for sure when the watch 2 come along.

The iPad price I don't understand at all. iPad sales are decreasing and they decide to go with a price hike with the "pro tax". Pro my arse. 700 euro is a ludicrous entry point for the standard iPad. The Air 2 starts at 16GB, which imo is worthless so you're looking at 549 for a decent entry point in the category. And that's for the old hardware.

Curious as to how the camera bump will play out. I wonder will it wobble much. Could be nothing. It doesn't bother me in the slightest on the phone, but I've never put anything other than a smart case on the iPad.

The iPhone Se seems overpriced to me also. 400 dollars is a very attractive figure. I know sales tax etc etc. But the average punter over here will be fairly aware of the American price and will just ignore everything else. It's hard not to feel hard done if that's how you'll look at it. Again maybe Apple feel that most of these will be sold by carriers, but that seems like a missed opportunity to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

The mini is fine. I mean they cover their bases on the iPad. And they are explicitly calling this a pro, it is not a consumer device.

It is a consumer device with the word 'pro' stuck on the end of it. Anyone who uses a Mac or PC to actually do things, will not switch to an iPad. They may use it for presentation or testing but it will never be their primary device.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

smash wrote: »
    It is a consumer device with the word 'pro' stuck on the end of it. Anyone who uses a Mac or PC to actually do things, will not switch to an iPad. They may use it for presentation or testing but it will never be their primary device.

I love my iPad but it'd never replace my MacBook.

• Advertisement

I love my iPad but it'd never replace my MacBook.

Same here.

Advertisement