Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple event for iPhone SE and new iPad Air - March 2016

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

Caoimhgh1n wrote: »
    Same here.

That being said, I love my iPad too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,499 ✭✭✭✭Caoimhgh1n

That being said, I love my iPad too.

My iPad was my main machine for exactly one year, but ever since I got my macbook I can easily go a week without even looking at my iPad. In saying that, I don't like putting things to waste so I am trying to use it a bit more now, but I am amazed at how small I consider the screen to be now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

"Let's make less profit on this hardware" not really in keeping with the Apple MO is it. Price cuts on current hardware is pretty rare. Outside of the original iPhone I'm struggling to think of examples. There's plenty of stuff they sell that's overdue a replacement and they'll still sell at full price.

Doing it to juice strap sales doesn't make sense either. They said that 30 % of their customers regularly swap straps. Okay but how many straps are they actually buying and what type. And particularly at the sport price point. Are they buying a single rubber strap or a milanese loop. Either way it'd be hard to imagine they're not loosing. That hundred dollars they're giving up is pure gravy. Like the original iPhone, I think this is an acknowledgement that they've priced it wrong. We'll know for sure when the watch 2 come along.

The iPad price I don't understand at all. iPad sales are decreasing and they decide to go with a price hike with the "pro tax". Pro my arse. 700 euro is a ludicrous entry point for the standard iPad. The Air 2 starts at 16GB, which imo is worthless so you're looking at 549 for a decent entry point in the category. And that's for the old hardware.

Curious as to how the camera bump will play out. I wonder will it wobble much. Could be nothing. It doesn't bother me in the slightest on the phone, but I've never put anything other than a smart case on the iPad.

The iPhone Se seems overpriced to me also. 400 dollars is a very attractive figure. I know sales tax etc etc. But the average punter over here will be fairly aware of the American price and will just ignore everything else. It's hard not to feel hard done if that's how you'll look at it. Again maybe Apple feel that most of these will be sold by carriers, but that seems like a missed opportunity to me.

They can't really do anything about VAT though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

smash wrote: »
    It is a consumer device with the word 'pro' stuck on the end of it. Anyone who uses a Mac or PC to actually do things, will not switch to an iPad. They may use it for presentation or testing but it will never be their primary device.

You're probably right but that's not how Apple are positioning it. Hence the pro moniker. Cook uses one so he feels everybody can.

My iPad was my main machine for exactly one year, but ever since I got my macbook I can easily go a week without even looking at my iPad. In saying that, I don't like putting things to waste so I am trying to use it a bit more now, but I am amazed at how small I consider the screen to be now.

I tend to use my iPad only in bed or when travelling around. It's handy for things like that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Still love the iPad Mini and iPad 4. MBA gets less use as time goes by.

I tend to use my iPad only in bed or when travelling around. It's handy for things like that.

I tend to use my phone in these situations. I am due an upgrade and am considering purchasing the iPhone SE.

I tend to use my phone in these situations. I am due an upgrade and am considering purchasing the iPhone SE.

I'm tempted too. Failing that, hold out until the 7 comes out and get a 6s cheaper

I'm tempted too. Failing that, hold out until the 7 comes out and get a 6s cheaper

Yes, I had the iPhone 5c and I am tempted to go back to the smaller size, but I am not sure what to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Stacker Pentecost

If you tend to use your iPhone in bed or traveling, would it not be better to have a phone with a bigger screen, particularly if you're browsing in that time??

I'd tend to use the MBP or iPad at home which is why I'd consider the SE.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

You're probably right but that's not how Apple are positioning it. Hence the pro moniker. Cook uses one so he feels everybody can.

They're entitled to position it however they want but look at file type support, software availability, additional hardware costs... it's less 'pro' than a 5mp compact camera would be to a photographer.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

It fairness, it's not the first time Apple has done this. The 13-inch MBP isn't Pro either and never was. That was a rebrand job as well.

The "Pro" moniker is mostly just a way of differentiating it from other models in the line-up. They can't keep adding a number to the name, or well they could, but they don't want to. In a few years the "Pro" might dropped and we'll be back to just "iPad" again.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭MillField

The 9.7-inch Pro is a bit too expensive for what you're getting in my opinion. It's in MacBook territory. Unless you want to get real work done on an iPad I would avoid it. I think the Air 2 is a much more reasonable tablet for casual users.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭GreatDefector

Is this not available for pre-order today? Hoping to get this phone for work

I can't find any release schedule for Ireland at all but I thought I could at least pre-order today and it comes when it comes

No price listed on VF (or three) yet

Is this not available for pre-order today? Hoping to get this phone for work

I can't find any release schedule for Ireland at all but I thought I could at least pre-order today and it comes when it comes

No price listed on VF (or three) yet

Not in Ireland.

Not in Ireland.

Thanks, on the apple Ireland site I can buy it outright now... I read a few mentions of Tuesday preorder on these forums

Strange! I'll ask VF on talk to...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Probably a bit soon for the Irish networks. It's available to order on the Apple site, though. Dispatch 4-6 days.

Thanks, on the apple Ireland site I can buy it outright now... I read a few mentions of Tuesday preorder on these forums

Strange! I'll ask VF on talk to...

I didn't realise you could buy it on their website now. Vodafone and Three should have them in soon, then.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Evil Sausage

Prices already listed for both versions on the Vodafone site

iPhone SE 16GB Vodafone
    iPhone SE 64GB Vodafone

Prices already listed for both versions on the Vodafone site

iPhone SE 16GB Vodafone
    iPhone SE 64GB Vodafone

Cheers, do you know the release date any chance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Evil Sausage

Cheers, do you know the release date any chance?

Not sure, but based on the Apple Store listings (4-6 business days), I would expect early next week. Maybe even Monday

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

MillField wrote: »
    The 9.7-inch Pro is a bit too expensive for what you're getting in my opinion. It's in MacBook territory. Unless you want to get real work done on an iPad I would avoid it. I think the Air 2 is a much more reasonable tablet for casual users.

Absolutely agreed, unless you absolutely want the keyboard or pencil the Air 2 is much better value for money (and personally I don't like devices which require loads of accessories ... Which used to to be in line with Apple's design philosophy, but sadely I am not sure it is any-more).

Advertisement