Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where should I live next?

Options
  • 21-03-2016 6:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭

Hey everyone,

I've been in Vegas for six years now and feel like it's time to move on and live elsewhere. I came to Vegas from Ireland, so apart from vacations around the country, I don't have a great insight into where I should live next.
    I was hoping people could give me knowledge of where they've lived of have family.

There's a few things I really want in the next place I move to.
    1. I miss the ocean so coastal is a big one. I wouldn't want to be more than a 2 hour drive from the coast. But I've ruled out the west coast. It's too expensive and I'd prefer to be closer to home, so somewhere along the east coast would be ideal. I haven't ruled out Gulf states.

2. Weather. I love the weather here and I realise that I'm not going to get it in many other areas, but somewhere with sunshine and mild winters would be great. I've never dealt with snow but it doesn't appeal to me at all. I'm happiest in July and August here when the sun is bright and strong. And I know how lucky we are to only wear a coat for a few weeks a year.
    This will be the thing I miss most about Vegas.

3. Outdoor activities. I love hiking here and I'd go 2-3 times a week. I also love the fact that there are leagues all around town for softball/kickball/soccer/flag football etc. But somewhere that has an outdoor environment even if it's boating/fishing/whatever.

4. Cost of living. I'm moving on my own and can't afford a high cost of living. I'm a massage therapist and make a good wage here but I know that's inflated compared to what I'd make elsewhere.

5. Airport access. I'd like to be within a 3 hour drive to a major airport. If I can get a direct flight to Ireland it's a huge bonus.

6. People. The thing I hate most about Vegas is the fact that it's hard to meet great people. And the fantastic friends that I have met are all planning on leaving too. So I'd like to settle in a place long term and be surrounded by people that are there for good too. I'm 31 so a city that has a decent young population is needed.

7. Social life. This isn't hugely important, but I do like a good nightlife. Good bars, live music and people willing to avail of them.

I know I'm asking for the impossible but if you can think of places that might get me most of what I want. I keep thinking of South Carolina but I've never been so I don't know where to begin. People tell me Austin is a good choice for me but it's a little further west than I'd like and further from the coast. But I would consider it as an option if everything else was there for me. I'm taking a trip there in June to check it out.
    I haven't spent a lot of time there, but I loved Nashville. The music and atmosphere were perfect. Again it's not near a coast but I'm willing to compromise on my list if all else falls into place.

If you think of cities that would suit me please suggest them, even if they don't hit all my requests. I'd never rule out the Northeast for example if my quality of life would improve.

Thanks for all and any help and hopefully I've given enough info to go on. If not, let me know what else I need to give.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

Based on everything you've said: Chattanooga or Asheville.

The boxes they don't check: (a) not quite 2hrs from the coast, and (b) weather - both are mild enough, but will occasionally see snow.

As far as outdoor scene, nightlife, cost of living, airport access goes, those 2 cities (towns, really) are hard to beat.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

I lived in Nashville for 4 yrs and loved it. It just had a great "vibe" to it, that is hard to put your finger on or define. Most of my friends were from Nashville itself, or other parts of Tennessee. There were a lot of people from Kentucky and Alabama too, as Nashville (along with Atlanta) is one of the destination cities that people from the mid South move to for work.

So it's easy to meet "great" people who have a real connection to the place (as opposed to Vegas, where everyone seems to be a blow in just like you,) are very hospitable, welcoming to strangers and have a great sense of family. But they are quite socially conservative too. So while they are great people as such, their having very strong religious or political views can be a bit much at times.

Nashville is HQ for a lot of large hospital groups. I know nothing about massage therapy, but I imagine Nashville would be a good for someone in the health care profession.

As regards getting home, more often than not, I just got a flight home via Chicago. I had more options going that way. Atlanta has direct flights to Dublin, for about 8 months of the year. But it's a 4 hour drive away. I did that a few times and I found it was just easier to get connecting flight, than have to face a 4 hr drive home after a 9 hour transatlantic flight. Nashville gets lovely hot summers, mild springs and autumns, but it can get very cold winters. Snow is not unusual either. It's not really southern enough to get all year round hot weather.

Nashville has great interstate access, so it would be a good spot to move to for a year and use it as a base to explore the rest of the South....it has a lot to offer & a lot of it is very varied.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaliforniaDream

dave2pvd wrote: »
    Based on everything you've said: Chattanooga or Asheville.

The boxes they don't check: (a) not quite 2hrs from the coast, and (b) weather - both are mild enough, but will occasionally see snow.

As far as outdoor scene, nightlife, cost of living, airport access goes, those 2 cities (towns, really) are hard to beat.

Thanks. I hadn't considered either of these places but I'll check them out and see what they're like.
    ProudDUB wrote: »
    I lived in Nashville for 4 yrs and loved it. It just had a great "vibe" to it, that is hard to put your finger on or define. Most of my friends were from Nashville itself, or other parts of Tennessee. There were a lot of people from Kentucky and Alabama too, as Nashville along with Atlanta is one of the destination cities that people from the mid South move to for work.

So it's easy to meet "great" people who have a real connection to the place (as opposed to Vegas, where everyone seems to be a blow in just like you,) are very hospitable, welcoming to strangers and have a sense of family. But they are quite socially conservative too. So while they are great people as such, their having very strong religious or political views can be a bit much at times.

Nashville is HQ for a lot of large hospital groups. I know nothing about massage therapy, but I imagine Nashville would be a good for someone in the health care profession.

As regards getting home, more often than not, I just got a flight home via Chicago. I had more options going that way. Atlanta has direct flights to Dublin, for about 8 months of the year. But it's a 4 hour drive away. I did that a few times and I found it was just easier to get connecting flight, than have to face a 4 hr drive home after a 9 hour transatlantic flight. Nashville gets lovely hot summers, mild springs and autumns, but it can get very cold winters. Snow is not unusual either. It's not really southern enough to get all year round hot weather.

Nashville has great interstate access, so it would be a good spot to move to for a year and use it as a base to explore the rest of the South....it has a lot to offer & a lot of it is very varied.

I loved the vibe of Nashville when I was there. Thanks for the info on it. Being able to talk to someone who's lived there for years is just what I want. I can get over weather if it meant I'd have most other things on my list.
    Do you know what it's like for hiking and things? I know the music and nightlife is amazing there so I wouldn't be worried about that. It does seem like more people would settle there so that part would be a huge improvement on Vegas.

Hiking isn't really my thing, so I don't have much in depth knowledge of where to hike in Nashville. But my memory of the surrounding country side, was of it being quite flat, with lots of open farm land, once you get away from the city suburbs. There are a couple of great lakes within the city limits, that are well known for fishing & boating. I presume the lake areas have hiking outdoorsy kinds of activities too. But the city in general, is not really a mountainy, hilly type of city that would be a hikers destination, like Denver for example.

I remember the outer suburbs having loads of horse farms, so if you were into equine activities, it was a great city for that. About an hours drive west from the city, you start to get into the foothills of The Great Smokey Mountains, so they aren't all that far away really. Ashville and Chatanooga are both gorgeous spots in the mountains, but I'd only go so far as to call them large towns. Compared to Nashville and Vegas,they are a good bit smaller & the pace of life would be a good bit quieter. The area around Ashville is very beautiful, so its a real tourist hotspot. It also has a thriving arts and music scene. It's also popular spot for the corporate types from Atlanta & Raleigh to have their holiday homes. All that, has driven the cost of living up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Hiking isn't really my thing, so I don't have much in depth knowledge of where to hike in Nashville. But my memory of the surrounding country side, was of it being quite flat, with lots of open farm land, once you get away from the city suburbs. There are a couple of great lakes within the city limits, that are well known for fishing & boating. I presume the lake areas have hiking outdoorsy kinds of activities too. But the city in general, is not really a mountainy, hilly type of city that would be a hikers destination, like Denver for example.

I remember the outer suburbs having loads of horse farms, so if you were into equine activities, it was a great city for that. About an hours drive west from the city, you start to get into the foothills of The Great Smokey Mountains, so they aren't all that far away really. Ashville and Chatanooga are both gorgeous spots in the mountains, but I'd only go so far as to call them large towns. Compared to Nashville and Vegas,they are a good bit smaller & the pace of life would be a good bit quieter. The area around Ashville is very beautiful, so its a real tourist hotspot. It also has a thriving arts and music scene. It's also popular spot for the corporate types from Atlanta & Raleigh to have their holiday homes. All that, has driven the cost of living up.

ProudDUB, we forgot Knoxville. I'd also rate it high based on the criteria.

If hiking & outdoors really is the #1 criterion, I'd go with Asheville over the others. It's basically a hiking Mecca. Check out Grandfather Mountain trail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

I'm an immigrant from Houston, and I think it ticks all your boxes. If you can afford it, live inside the beltway on the west side.

(If it's so great why am I not there? Well, long story... short version, lost my oil industry job and moved to be near my husband's family.)

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Aprilmay

I live in Charlotte NC, we love it! Its in between the mountains and the beach, So it's easily accessible. We go to Asheville when we want the mountains but I couldn't live there full time it's great for weekends and we moved from Wicklow.

Charlotte is climbing to the top of the best places to live in the U.S. I work in Real Estate and the amount of people I have met over the last few years that have relocated from California, New York, LI and NJ is crazy. It's a transplant town.Met life relocated here 2 years ago we had a bunch of young families relocate and it was a no brainer for people coming from those areas. Taxes are insane! I met someone once who paid $22,000 in taxes for 2 small homes that they owned.

Charlotte is the second biggest banking town outside of NY. We sold our home in Ireland this year because we knew that this was now our home. There is also a huge Irish presence here(not sure if that is something you are looking for?).

• Registered Users Posts: 36,073 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Jacksonville.
    The Theodore Roosevelt Area is a 600-acre natural treasure, good to hike.
    Great coast
    Ticks all the boxes

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

St.Augustine

Never been but ive heard its nice...

Thanks for all the suggestions.
    Just want to clarify, the things I've listed are not 100% needs for a new place, just ideals.
    I think the biggest things for me are the people and being closer to home. Somewhere to hike isn't the deciding factor, more a bonus if it has it. Same with being on the coast. I'd consider the Mass area even though it's not got the weather I want.

Basically, not the west coast or a transient town. Some food for thought so far though, I appreciate it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Thanks for all the suggestions.
    Just want to clarify, the things I've listed are not 100% needs for a new place, just ideals.
    I think the biggest things for me are the people and being closer to home. Somewhere to hike isn't the deciding factor, more a bonus if it has it. Same with being on the coast. I'd consider the Mass area even though it's not got the weather I want.

Basically, not the west coast or a transient town. Some food for thought so far though, I appreciate it.

I'm out on the west coast. California for around 10 years and Seattle for about ten years.

I've often looked around the country thinking of a change. I agree about being near the coast too. I've usually narrowed it down to the northern Florida/Georgia Atlantic coast or new england north of Boston.

Needless to say, i'm still in Seattle.

InTheTrees wrote: »
    St.Augustine

Never been but ive heard its nice...

St. Augustine is beautiful with it's Spanish influence. Been there on vacation not sure I could live there. Beach towns I love Wrightsville, Wilmington N.C, Isle of Palms Charleston S.C

The 'shortlist' of places I've been recommended that I'm genuinely interested in are:
    Tampa, FL
    Charleston, SC
    Austin, TX,
    Nashville, TN
    Charlotte, NC

ProudDub I may bug you about Nashville some more and Aprilmay I'll come to you about Charlotte.
    If anyone has input on the other places I'd love to know. I know I can always move if I pick the wrong place but I'd rather try and get it right.

Charlotte is close to the SC border. I live in South Charlotte I live about 5 miles from the SC border. We get lots of cheap gas:).

I should also mention we have an active GAA club in Charlotte too! Men's & Women's.

We have direct flights to Dublin from Charlotte Douglas Airport.

Feel free to ask as many questions as you like.

Aprilmay wrote: »
    Charlotte is close to the SC border. I live in South Charlotte I live about 5 miles from the SC border. We get lots of cheap gas:).

I should also mention we have an active GAA club in Charlotte too! Men's & Women's.

We have direct flights to Dublin from Charlotte Douglas Airport.

Feel free to ask as many questions as you like.

Thank you!
    What are people like there? The one thing that people mention to me about SC is that they're not too receptive to immigrants. It seems against the southern hospitality that it's known for but I could see it being true.
    Is Charlotte similar to that? It's nice knowing there's an active Irish culture. I don't mind not having that here but I do miss getting together with people who just understand where I come from and my sense of humour.

The direct flight is a definite pro! I've had to go home very last minute from here and it's not as easy as it seems. I'd plan to go home more often knowing it was just one flight away.
    What's the best and worst thing about Charlotte in your mind?

Thank you!
    What are people like there? The one thing that people mention to me about SC is that they're not too receptive to immigrants. It seems against the southern hospitality that it's known for but I could see it being true.
    Is Charlotte similar to that? It's nice knowing there's an active Irish culture. I don't mind not having that here but I do miss getting together with people who just understand where I come from and my sense of humour.

The direct flight is a definite pro! I've had to go home very last minute from here and it's not as easy as it seems. I'd plan to go home more often knowing it was just one flight away.
    What's the best and worst thing about Charlotte in your mind?

Don't believe the stereotypes of the south. If you are referring to yourself as an immigrant because you're Irish, you won't have anything to worry about. There are rural redneck hicks in every state in the US, who fit the stereotype of hatin' on everyone and everything that isn't the same colour as them. The South in general, probably has more per capita, as large parts of it are still quite poor. But it's certainly no reason not to move there. When you are in the cities, you'll usually find that half the people who you come across on a day to day basis, moved there from some where else in the country.

It's location was a big factor for us. It's a couple of hours drive to the mountains and to the beach. Just back from Hilton Head Island S.C . It's a 4 hour drive. It's clean, the cost of living is good, climate is great. It's a city that has a lot of transplants.We could have lived anywhere in the US my husband still works for his company in Ireland so he works from home. We researched places to live when we were getting our green card and it was a good fit for us as a family with lots of job opportunities if my husband decided to change jobs.

We have two lakes if you like boating, fishing etc. The Whitewater center is home to the U.S Olympic team.

We love it so much we bought a house 3 years ago and we just sold our home in Ireland in January.

The one complaint I have is they can't drive when it rains and if it Snows the place shuts down! Literally

This is a older video tour if I find a new one I will post.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAGh6ZuEqAo

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Palmy

I live in Sarasota Florida. About an hour south of Tampa. Winters are nice but full of snow birds( people coming down from the north for the winter ) and Summer is crazy hot and pretty much rains for an hour or so every day almost like clock work.Check out Siesta key beach, voted the finest sand in the world and voted the number one beach in the USA a few years back. An hour and a half drive to Orlando to all the theme parks and direct Flights to Dublin daily. The medical feild here is big with having an older generation here so work shouldn't be a problem. If you like Florida stay on the west gulf coast side Miami etc and east coast is a different world altogether.

Advertisement