Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Benicassim 2016

Options
  • 21-03-2016 6:46pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭

Anyone ever been or going from Ireland this year?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭HausOfTony

Been meaning to post a similar thread. Heading for the first time this year and was wondering if others have/are?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

HausOfTony wrote: »
    Been meaning to post a similar thread. Heading for the first time this year and was wondering if others have/are?

Just saw it on facebook and got me interested
    Good weather and a mix of music
    Plus prob less gob****es crowd wise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Wouldn't be sure of the less gobsh*tes, it's basically Oxegen by the sea these days :pac:

I haven't been there in a few years, but brilliant setting, and gigs til 4am, it's a savage setup.

Wouldn't be sure of the less gobsh*tes, it's basically Oxegen by the sea these days :pac:

I haven't been there in a few years, but brilliant setting, and gigs til 4am, it's a savage setup.

Oh really?

Yep, it's mostly British and Irish youngsters these days. The heat is around 40c too.

• Advertisement

Oh if it was messy put me off

Verrrrry messy. Primavera is your bet for the more laid back classy crowd

What's the festival itself like bar the crowd? Is there many stages/pricey etc?

Booking an apartment so won't be camping, I'd imagine it's horrendous in the heat

• Registered Users Posts: 14,466 ✭✭✭✭cson

€150 quid for 4 days is some value considering the line up they have there.

We get absolutely rode in this country with the price of tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭ryaner777

Heading over this year for the second time. Went in 2014 and loved it. At that stage they had 4 stages and I though the crowd were great. You had a good mix of young and old and most young people camped so by the time the bands came on they were shattered and were in no mood to cause any trouble.

We stayed in castellon and bused it in and out each evening. Ended up staying in the same hotel as a lot of the acts which was nice.

Would highly recommend it to anyone thinking of going. This year a friend of mine in his late forties is coming with his wife, teenage daughter and 11 year old daughter. They crowd is a delight compared to Irish festivals

• Advertisement

What hotel did you stay in?

Civis Luiz & Eurohotel - They're next door to each other

Bands all stayed in Civis Luiz

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭JackMcA

ryaner777 wrote: »
    Civis Luiz & Eurohotel - They're next door to each other

Bands all stayed in Civis Luiz

yeah luiz is a great spot. back in 2014 met ellie goulding, paolo nutini, james and the charlatans

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭thesultan

75 quid a ticket - yikes. I've no experience going to gigs in Marlay, what's it like? Easy to get to? Any parking nearby? Nice crowd?

Went a few years back. Very good. Bring suntan lotion

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭jimosterberg

Found the crowd far more laid back than an Oxygen crowd back in the day. Lots of English and Irish twentysomethings but didn't see any trouble and had a brilliant time.

Is there usually many more line up announcements?

I wouldn't say so at this stage, maybe a few smaller bands but you won't get many more headliners unless the ticket sales are a disaster and they're forced to bring someone in to push the remaining tickets.

I wouldn't say so at this stage, maybe a few smaller bands but you won't get many more headliners unless the ticket sales are a disaster and they're forced to bring someone in to push the remaining tickets.

Yeah was thinking as much! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Went a couple of years ago. Unbelievable gig. Enjoyed every second of it. We camped which was OK, but you'd want to be fairly hardy to put up with it. If I was going this year I'd hotel it. Probably one of the most fun weeks away I've had though.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 SaintlyWinner

Hey how's it going? I thought I'd make a profile on this site just for this thread. I'm heading over to Beni with one of my mates this summer. We have the tickets since they were on presale and we've got flights sorted. We're hoping to arrive in Benicassim on the Monday about midday and we're doing the camping for the week. Just wanted to know if any of the veterans of this place have any tips or if the others going this summer could point us in the right direction.
    Its our first real festival so any and all info would be appreciated. How to manage bringing tents as opposed to buying them over there? And whats the best way to get from Barcelona to Benicassim?
    Thanks so much.

• Advertisement

Hey how's it going? I thought I'd make a profile on this site just for this thread. I'm heading over to Beni with one of my mates this summer. We have the tickets since they were on presale and we've got flights sorted. We're hoping to arrive in Benicassim on the Monday about midday and we're doing the camping for the week. Just wanted to know if any of the veterans of this place have any tips or if the others going this summer could point us in the right direction.
    Its our first real festival so any and all info would be appreciated. How to manage bringing tents as opposed to buying them over there? And whats the best way to get from Barcelona to Benicassim?
    Thanks so much.

How ye getting there?

Flight from Dublin to Barcelona. The spanish rail companies dont let you book more the 60 days in advance or something?

Thanks so much.

1) Don’t be in such a rush to get to Benni, you’re putting unnecessary pressure on yourself. If you’re flying into Barcelona check out the city for the day. Get a cheap hotel and stay there for the night and then get the train on the Tuesday.
    2) 7 nights camping in that heat is going to be very very tough – remember that if you and your mate are not talking for the last few days !
    3) If you’ve booked checked in luggage then you’ll have no problem bringing tents with you. If you’re only taking carry on maybe buy your tent in Barcelona when you arrive.
    4) Train takes about 2-3 hours from Barcelona, buses take a little longer. Train is a lot more comfortable and I’d recommend it. Some trains don’t stop at benni, they’ll stop in castellon and I’s about €20 in a taxi from there to the festival.
    5) Get an inflatable bed for your tent. The ground in the camp site is very hard and full of stones, a sleeping mat will not be enough to get an sort of comfortable sleep.
    6) All your food, drink, toiletries and essentials can be purchased from the mercadona in bennicassim and it’s cheap. Think aldi/lidl prices.
    7) Eat in the town – Head down to the town each day and get something decent to eat. It’s not expensive and all restaurants have deals on the week of the festival. The food at the festival is expensive and it’s not the best. Think oxegen quality food not electric picnic.
    8) Drink at the festival is sold in 33cl cups or litre cups. 2 years ago it was €3 for a small and €9 for the big. You buy tokens at one end of the bar and exchange them at the other for your drink. You’re better off sticking to the smaller ones. It’ll mean more trips to the bar but the big litre cups are a bit flimsy and easily knocked over or out of your hand on the way back to your spot. It can be a killer dropping 3 beers that cost €27.

I’m sure I’ll think of loads more but if you’ve any questions just pop them up and I’ll try answer them for you.

oh and some more acts are being announced today !

Delighted with The Coral being announced, loving the new album and seeing them in the sun will be special.

Does anyone have an idea of/when this usually sells out? Can't find anything on Google but want to get my return flight sorted first and then do the installment

They don't normally sell out, and a lot of tickets people purchase on the presage come up closer to the event. Something comes up and they don't attend. Don't worry about tickets, just get the flights now as they'll really increase the longer you leave it.

They don't normally sell out, and a lot of tickets people purchase on the presage come up closer to the event. Something comes up and they don't attend. Don't worry about tickets, just get the flights now as they'll really increase the longer you leave it.

Cheers yeah thats the plan! Working with a tight budget so got the first flight and accom sorted and return flight next week! Thanks for all the tips too :)

1) Don’t be in such a rush to get to Benni, you’re putting unnecessary pressure on yourself. If you’re flying into Barcelona check out the city for the day. Get a cheap hotel and stay there for the night and then get the train on the Tuesday.
    2) 7 nights camping in that heat is going to be very very tough – remember that if you and your mate are not talking for the last few days !
    3) If you’ve booked checked in luggage then you’ll have no problem bringing tents with you. If you’re only taking carry on maybe buy your tent in Barcelona when you arrive.
    4) Train takes about 2-3 hours from Barcelona, buses take a little longer. Train is a lot more comfortable and I’d recommend it. Some trains don’t stop at benni, they’ll stop in castellon and I’s about €20 in a taxi from there to the festival.
    5) Get an inflatable bed for your tent. The ground in the camp site is very hard and full of stones, a sleeping mat will not be enough to get an sort of comfortable sleep.
    6) All your food, drink, toiletries and essentials can be purchased from the mercadona in bennicassim and it’s cheap. Think aldi/lidl prices.
    7) Eat in the town – Head down to the town each day and get something decent to eat. It’s not expensive and all restaurants have deals on the week of the festival. The food at the festival is expensive and it’s not the best. Think oxegen quality food not electric picnic.
    8) Drink at the festival is sold in 33cl cups or litre cups. 2 years ago it was €3 for a small and €9 for the big. You buy tokens at one end of the bar and exchange them at the other for your drink. You’re better off sticking to the smaller ones. It’ll mean more trips to the bar but the big litre cups are a bit flimsy and easily knocked over or out of your hand on the way back to your spot. It can be a killer dropping 3 beers that cost €27.

I’m sure I’ll think of loads more but if you’ve any questions just pop them up and I’ll try answer them for you.

Firstly, thanks a bunch for the reply.
    I had read elsewhere that you should get there as early as possible in order to get a decent spot for the tent?
    We're not bringing checked luggage for the flight so buying them in Barcelona sounds like the way forward along with those blow up mats.
    Train sounds spot on, couldn't imagine sticking the bus.
    Just finally wondering about the safety of what's left in the tent when you leave it for the day?
    Like obviously we'll bring the phones, wallets and passports with us and there'd only be clothes and whatnot left but still wouldn't want to arrive back to a cleared out tent.

• Advertisement

To be honest there is not that much difference between the best and worst spots unless you decide to go to the VIP camping. The difference between monday and Tuesday would be minimal.

You can rent a locker on the camping area to keep anything in you wouldn't want stolen. They are a decent size so if you're are just bringing carry on luggage you'd probably fit it all in there each morning. Then you could just take out what you need for the day.

Never heard of a tent being cleared out but I'd put a little padlock on it for safe keeping.

There is a great vibe around the campsite and everyone knows just how far people have come to enjoy themselves so I wouldn't be too worried, just use common sense and you'll be grand.

Advertisement