Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weird interview or just me??

Options
  • 21-03-2016 7:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭

Had an interview today for an analyst position in a global multinational but it was more like a general chit chat.

I expected a compentancy and behavioural style interview with sernarios based questions/answers.

However they asked to walk them through my CV which I did outlining my roles and experience to date coveringn my duties and responsibilities etc

Then they were like oh did you like that referring to one of the roles and then they said which one did I prefer questioning 2 positions I held. I gave my answer and outlines the pros and cons of each position and why my skill set matches one more than the other.

Then 1 interview asked the other to outline the role to me.

She then spoke for about 15 minutes giving a detailed review of the role and questioned would that suit me?

I tried to provide a comprehensive answer by referring to a similar position I held and an example of a senario.

Overall, I have a weird feeling over me because there was no standard interview questions even like tell me about yourself or can you give an example of ...... What are strengths and weaknesses

Nothing ! Is this normal?

I worked for the same company a large business process outsource and all my interviews(5) have been detailed ones

Has anyone ever been in this position?

I found it difficult to sell myself but did so as much as I could with th questions asked?

What are people's opinions

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

That's perfectly normal for an analyst position in my experience. Was the company by any chance an American-based one?

I was actually hired after an interview with a large global pharmaceutical company in which I walked through my CV with them emphasizing why my skills and experience made me a good fit for the position, talked about challenges and solutions, asked about challenges they were facing... for one reason or another the job offer was withdrawn (and a good thing too because they shut the facility within a few months), but it was a good interview and they were impressed.

It sounds to me like you did pretty well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭wally1990

Yes, it is an global American company.

Maybe I'm just not used to such a relaxed interview ( I expected the complete opposite)

I was well prepared because I really want the position and prepared a good few examples but didn't fee I had the opportunity to explain then so I did expand on the general stuff asked.

It just has me thinking if I don't get the job i don't think i will feel too upset because it's was difficult to do my best because of the style.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

Naah. You did fine, above average even. If you haven't already written a note to your contact thanking them for the interview and reinforcing your interest in the position, do it now before you forget.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭mitresize5

all our interviews are like that.

We get the candidate to talk us through their cv and projects.

If we get to explaining our role in detail it means the candidate can expect an offer/second round interview

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

they might be looking for a person fit than skill fit?

ive been though interviews like that where its more a chat, especially if i know they have the skill or if the skill can be taught.

its more about the person then,

did it when i had to hire an admin, a bit of skill needed but i would be working closely with the person so it was definitely more how we got on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭wally1990

Maybe so, So I'm coming to the understanding that they know I am the right fit based on CV and experience to date and the chat/relaxed interview is more a personality test. Heard nothing back yet anyway since last Monday. So not too sure how to read into that. I suppose I'll find out either way

Advertisement