Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice for Blackstairs challenge

Options
  • 21-03-2016 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi
    I am looking for advice regarding how much hiking we should do in the lead up to doing the Blackstairs challenge in May.

We are late converts to hiking but seriously addicted at the moment!
    We have been out every weekend since last summer so stamina is okay.
    We currently do about 5 to 6 hours on a Saturday and 3 to 4 on a Sunday. I am not sure if we should do a few longer stints or cut back to just one day in preparation.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

When you go out on Saturday/Sunday what kind of distances do you cover, and what sort of elevation gain/loss?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 muddlemuffin

hi

So over the winter we would often walk along the coast from Kilcoole to Wicklow and back- 26k but flat, Next day would be a circuit from Kilmashogue around Tirbadden and fairy castle.

Since the weather has improved we have been up Djouce and Maulin from Crone car park.

Last weekend we went up Mullacor via the miners village and back on same route then on Sunday we did Djouce.
    I was tired but not wrecked after Saturday and grand after Sunday

I am expecting the challenge to take us around 8 hours and am unsure if we should do longer distances now or stay as we are.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

hi

So over the winter we would often walk along the coast from Kilcoole to Wicklow and back- 26k but flat, Next day would be a circuit from Kilmashogue around Tirbadden and fairy castle.

Since the weather has improved we have been up Djouce and Maulin from Crone car park.

Last weekend we went up Mullacor via the miners village and back on same route then on Sunday we did Djouce.
    I was tired but not wrecked after Saturday and grand after Sunday

I am expecting the challenge to take us around 8 hours and am unsure if we should do longer distances now or stay as we are.

Thanks

You need to get used to a lot of elevation gain/loss on the legs. If you can work up to a 6hr route with a fair bit of ascent/decent you'll be fine on the day.

Something like this (in an area you are familiar with) should be good prep:

http://mountainviews.ie/track/report/1333/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

If it was me I'd cut back to 1 day at the weekend, and do a longer hike of at least 20k in the mountains. I think you're broadly on the right track, but you need to get more mountain walks in between now and then. The stronger you get, the easier the walk will be, the more you'll enjoy it.

E.g. you should be able to do Crone, Maulin, Djouce, and back up Maulin. There's lots of more interesting routes if you can navigate (e.g. Circuit of Glendalough).

I'd work on my pacing in the mountains. You should be able to walk along at a continuous pace and not get hugely out of breath, rather than walking faster and having to repeatedly stop.

I'd do very little the weekend before the Blackstairs so your body gets a chance to rest, eat well that week and the adrenaline on the day will help you up the first mountain ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

wear waterproof hiking boots on this walk , some soft ground in places

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 muddlemuffin

Thanks for all the great advice.

We walk at a steady pace start to finish and have had the evil pleasure of passing people who had previously flown by us!
    We have decent boots and raingear - amazing how snug it can be with the correct gear

Thanks again
    M

• Registered Users Posts: 6,058 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

As a "fairweather" hill-walker, I believe you have put in the right preparation from what you have said.

This is one of the more doable walking challenges in Ireland and the most important thing is to be walking-fit, which you clearly are. After all, if I can manage it (back in 2007), anyone can!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

I see there is an injured walker been rescued tonight off the Blackstairs by South East Mountain Resche and R117

Take care on the walk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Prime Irish Beef

I can't wait for this!!!

I've never done it before but I'd hike a good bit. Proper gear makes a big difference but you seem to have that sorted anyway!

Advertisement