Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New iPhone 5 se

Options
  • 21-03-2016 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭

Could anyone tell me have they ever ordered an iPhone from Apple directly,and is it unlocked to any network when you buy it,is the site in the United States ,cause I'd like to order one but not sure about it thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭davo2001

Could anyone tell me have they ever ordered an iPhone from Apple directly,and is it unlocked to any network when you buy it,is the site in the United States ,cause I'd like to order one but not sure about it thanks

If you order from the Apple website then the phone is not carrier locked (its unlocked).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

You can't order from the US site. Better to order off Apple.com/ie or you can go though parcel motel or whatever and save money sometimes from the UK site. The Irish site is the best bet. And it will he unlocked to any network.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 itech

Not available in ireland utill 29. Better off waiting and ordering from apple.ie for warranty etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 20 itech

Not available in ireland untill 29. Better off waiting and ordering from apple.ie for warranty etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 15,553 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

If you know someone in America, you can order online for in store collection in their local store, but beware the prices on the US site as they don't include the state sales tax (7% in Mass), though if the currency rates are favourable, you can still save a little bit!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭big_drive

What is the cost going to be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

big_drive wrote: »
    What is the cost going to be?

€499 and €599

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭tramoreman77

Thanks for all your advice

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

If you know someone in America, you can order online for in store collection in their local store, but beware the prices on the US site as they don't include the state sales tax (7% in Mass), though if the currency rates are favourable, you can still save a little bit!

It's priced at $399 and $499 in the US so even if you were paying NYC sales tax at 8.875% and a 2.25% hike on the credit card transaction, you'd still have either model in your hand for €105 less than what it would cost in Ireland.

BTW, there's no '5' in the model name, it's the iPhone SE.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

coylemj wrote: »
    It's priced at $399 and $499 in the US so even if you were paying NYC sales tax at 8.875% and a 2.25% hike on the credit card transaction, you'd still have either model in your hand for €105 less than what it would cost in Ireland.

True, however don't forget, buy in Ireland and for that €100 odd, you are keeping your 6 years consumer law and my dealings with Apple have shown they respect this and more.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I know it's been asked a million times before but a phone bought in the States definitely works here ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,553 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I know it's been asked a million times before but a phone bought in the States definitely works here ok?

Yes, as long as it's a 'sim card' version, i.e. for AT&T,

I believe one of the networks over there don't use sim cards, but when buying an iPhone from an Apple store, I believe they only sell the sim unlocked phones (i.e. the same ones Apple sell over here.

I believe the other version of the iPhone is supplied directly by the carrier (Verizon I believe)

Yes, as long as it's a 'sim card' version, i.e. for AT&T,

I believe one of the networks over there don't use sim cards, but when buying an iPhone from an Apple store, I believe they only sell the sim unlocked phones (i.e. the same ones Apple sell over here.

I believe the other version of the iPhone is supplied directly by the carrier (Verizon I believe)

Verizon used to be the oddball model that you could not bring to Europe, even when unlocked as it didn't take a sim. That now applies to the iPhone designed to work on the Sprint network, it doesn't take a sim but both the online and bricks and mortar Apple stores all sell sim-free models which will work over here no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

Verizon used to be the oddball model that you could not bring to Europe, even when unlocked as it didn't take a sim. That now applies to the iPhone designed to work on the Sprint network, it doesn't take a sim but both the online and bricks and mortar Apple stores all sell sim-free models which will work over here no problem.
    yes but isn't there also a Problem with the 4g frequencies the USA phones use??

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭j14

Just to comment on the iPhone working in other countries. My wife has a sim free iPhone 5C (orginally Vodafone but factory unlocked) but it would not work in the USA. We brought it to am Apple store in Las Vegas and they just said it's the "European model" and that's why it didn't work in the USA. My sim free Galaxy S5 worked perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭tramoreman77

I'm confused now,if I buy the model from Ireland il have a longer warranty ,and it is unlocked worldwide ?or if I buy from the us site it's cheaper but smaller warranty ,if I preorder will I get the phone on the launch day

massy086 wrote: »
    yes but isn't there also a Problem with the 4g frequencies the USA phones use??

If you're buying an iPhone in the US and intend using it in Europe, just ask for the 'GSM model', that will work on our 4G networks.

The iPhone SE model you need is the A1723 (GSM).

LTE Support by country ...

http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/

j14 wrote: »
    Just to comment on the iPhone working in other countries. My wife has a sim free iPhone 5C (orginally Vodafone but factory unlocked) but it would not work in the USA. We brought it to am Apple store in Las Vegas and they just said it's the "European model" and that's why it didn't work in the USA. My sim free Galaxy S5 worked perfectly.

Was her mobile account enabled for international roaming? The phone should have worked on some of the US networks, at least for voice and SMS. Otherwise what you are suggesting is that people in Europe who travel to the US frequently can't bring their iPhones with them because they won't work over there which is clearly not the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

The phone should have worked on some of the US networks, at least for voice and SMS.

My iPhone 3GS, 4S & 5 worked fine in the US (and Canada). Not sure what's so special about the 5C since it's basically a 5 in a new shell.

coylemj wrote:
    Was her mobile account enabled for international roaming? The phone should have worked on some of the US networks, at least for voice and SMS. Otherwise what you are suggesting is that people in Europe who travel to the US frequently can't bring their iPhones with them because they won't work over there which is clearly not the case.

Yes because she used it in Europe last year so it was set up for roaming. The whole time in the USA it just said searching on the signal bar, it also didn't work in Mexico either. That's the reason why we brought it to the Apple store...to let the Apple geniuses look at it but they couldn't do anything for us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Yes because she used it in Europe last year so it was set up for roaming. The whole time in the USA it just said searching on the signal bar, it also didn't work in Mexico either

If that's the case, then it is more likely that your phone when used in the US couldn't find a network provider who has an arrangement with your Irish provider.

A manual network search might have worked.

No the Apple geniuses tried a manual search but the phone would not connect. They just gave up after about 30 minutes and said "it's a European model, it won't work in the USA."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

No the Apple geniuses tried a manual search but the phone would not connect. They just gave up after about 30 minutes and said "it's a European model, it won't work in the USA."

I suggest they probably meant to say " it's a european model, it may not work here"

I was in Vegas last year and my 5C worked just fine with Meteor. 100% this is a localised issue to this phone or network at that time.

The iPhone 6, 6 Plus, 6s and 6S Plus and now the iPhone SE have different model model numbers from the US that are sold in the UK. However, they offer the same 4G bands on both devices. The link was posted above there Ill post again

http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/

Regarding warranty. Worldwide the warranty is the same. 1 year Apple warranty. This warranty is not valid outside the continents they're sold in . So your US iPhone may not be serviced in Europe, and vice versa. They may do it, but it is up to their discretion. My inside source tells me this has changed since the iPhone 6, as they have the same Antenna inside now.

No consumer law in the US though.

so to sum up. Any network unlocked GSM iPhone listed above sold in the US will work just fine here in Europe and that includes 4G networks.

In Ireland however you get 6 years of consumer law and as mentioned, this is very handy when or if something does go wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Yorky

itech wrote: »
    Not available in ireland utill 29. Better off waiting and ordering from apple.ie for warranty etc..

I've used this before to get a replacement iPhone 5 which was two years old.

The SE is available in the UK for pre-order from tomorrow 24th rather than 29th in Ireland. The UK price for the 64Gb version is £439 (€555) representing a €44 saving on the Irish price.

Would the statutory 6 year Irish guarantee be affected by buying it in the UK but registering it in Ireland?

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    If that's the case, then it is more likely that your phone when used in the US couldn't find a network provider who has an arrangement with your Irish provider.

A manual network search might have worked.

If the auto search can't find a network that has an agreement with your home network, how will a manual search find one?

You'd only do a manual search if you knew in advance that one specific network had better call and data rates, otherwise you just let the phone do an auto search.

What network was your wife on in Ireland? As others have said, there is no technical reason why the phone wouldn't work. The iPhones sold here are quad-band GSM so they will definitely work on at least some of the US Networks for (at a minimum) voice and SMS.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Yorky wrote: »
    Would the statutory 6 year Irish guarantee be affected by buying it in the UK but registering it in Ireland?

Irish consumer rights apply to Irish sellers. If you buy it in the UK you'll be covered by UK consumer rights. Up to 2 years, it's unlikely Apple would be fussy about this as long as you purchased the phone from them. But after (or even before depending on the circumstances) they could start pleasing ignorance and you'd have to take it to a UK court.

And to be clear - it's not a 6 year guarantee in Ireland. You just have 6 years to make a claim.

coylemj wrote:
    What network was your wife on in Ireland? As others have said, there is no technical reason why the phone wouldn't work. The iPhones sold here are quad-band GSM so they will definitely work on at least some of the US Networks for (at a minimum) voice and SMS.

We are both on Tesco Mobile.

My Galaxy S5 worked perfectly her iPhone 5c was useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

I was planning on pre-ordering an SE from the Irish site for €599 - would it be worth ordering from the UK site instead? Obviously if the price delivered is €555 then it would be silly not to, but would it need to be delivered to a UK address (Parcel Motel)? Also, if in a few months the phone is found to be faulty and needs to be sent back to Apple for repair/replacement (this has happened to me a few times) would there be any hassle due to the fact that it was purchased via the UK site?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Lockster

Tesco mobile has an issue with roaming on iPhone 5 and above. You have to make some changes to the settings prior to travelling for it to work, so I'd say that was your problem. My wife found this out on holiday in Portugal last year with an iPhone 5 on Tesco mobile.

See this link for details:

http://www.tescomobile.ie/help-centre/category.aspx?id=5

Advertisement