Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New iPhone 5 se

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

PrettyBoy wrote: »
    I was planning on pre-ordering an SE from the Irish site for €599 - would it be worth ordering from the UK site instead? Obviously if the price delivered is €555 then it would be silly not to, but would it need to be delivered to a UK address (Parcel Motel)? Also, if in a few months the phone is found to be faulty and needs to be sent back to Apple for repair/replacement (this has happened to me a few times) would there be any hassle due to the fact that it was purchased via the UK site?

You don't appear to have factored in the FX uplift on the sterling price that will be applied by your credit card company. The 64GB model costs £439 in the UK and you're converting that to €555 which equates to a rate of 0.791 - more or less the current interbank rate - today's ECB rate for EUR/GBP is 0.78985.

Even if Apple UK accept an Irish credit card, by the time you factor in the PM charge and the CC uplift, you will be paying about €572.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

coylemj wrote: »
    You don't appear to have factored in the FX uplift on the sterling price that will be applied by your credit card company. The 64GB model costs £439 in the UK and you're converting that to €555 which equates to a rate of 0.791 - more or less the current interbank rate - today's ECB rate for EUR/GBP is 0.78985.

Even if Apple UK accept an Irish credit card, by the time you factor in the PM charge and the CC uplift, you will be paying about €572.

There have been plenty on here getting new iPhones on release from Apple UK sent to ParcelMotel, so I don't think the Irish credit card is an issue any more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

whiterebel wrote: »
    There have been plenty on here getting new iPhones on release from Apple UK sent to ParcelMotel, so I don't think the Irish credit card is an issue any more.

I got the ip6 and 6s with parcel motel and my Irish CC never a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

If the auto search can't find a network that has an agreement with your home network, how will a manual search find one?

You'd only do a manual search if you knew in advance that one specific network had better call and data rates, otherwise you just let the phone do an auto search.

I live abroad and my (then) O2 phone would not connect to the mobile network. I rang O2, they said they do not have a roaming agreement with anyone in this country, so I did a manual search and connected without problems for voice and text.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

Went ahead and ordered the Silver 64GB with a Navy leather case from AppleUK this morning.

Never liked the size of the 6 so this SE suits me just perfect.

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭tramoreman77

Was it cheaper compared to Irish site

Was it cheaper compared to Irish site

I've not been billed yet but it looks like it'll work out cheaper and the savings I made are going towards the leather case. That's how I'm looking at it anyway.

On todays exchange rate £439 = €556

There will probably be extra VAT added but it still should work out slightly cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭tramoreman77

Batesy wrote: »
    I've not been billed yet but it looks like it'll work out cheaper and the savings I made are going towards the leather case. That's how I'm looking at it anyway.

On todays exchange rate £439 = €556

There will probably be extra VAT added but it still should work out slightly cheaper.

Can I ask you how you did it as its my first time ever ordering anything like this online ,if you could run me through it I'd be very grateful

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    I live abroad and my (then) O2 phone would not connect to the mobile network. I rang O2, they said they do not have a roaming agreement with anyone in this country, so I did a manual search and connected without problems for voice and text.

When you do a manual search, it lists every local network, how did you know which one to connect to? If you tried them all in turn until you got one to talk to you, that's exactly what an auto search does.

Can I ask you how you did it as its my first time ever ordering anything like this online ,if you could run me through it I'd be very grateful

Go to the UK Apple Store select the phone you want enter your parcel motel address in as your shipping address. Input your CC details and order. Use the guest check out.

• Advertisement

I know it's been asked a million times before but a phone bought in the States definitely works here ok?

Yes it will.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

does any business user know - what is the story with vat if you purchase from UK or US? can we claim back the vat for business as we do for irish purchases?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭traco

does any business user know - what is the story with vat if you purchase from UK or US? can we claim back the vat for business as we do for irish purchases?

No VAT reclaim from US, possible from UK but a right pain. If you are VAT registered just buy it local.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,716 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Irish consumer rights apply to Irish sellers. If you buy it in the UK you'll be covered by UK consumer rights. Up to 2 years, it's unlikely Apple would be fussy about this as long as you purchased the phone from them. But after (or even before depending on the circumstances) they could start pleasing ignorance and you'd have to take it to a UK court.

And to be clear - it's not a 6 year guarantee in Ireland. You just have 6 years to make a claim.

6 years to make a claim in England too.

http://www.apple.com/uk/legal/statutory-warranty/

Go to the UK Apple Store select the phone you want enter your parcel motel address in as your shipping address. Input your CC details and order. Use the guest check out.

I did all that but I still logged in with my Irish Apple ID and it let me use Parcel Motel as delivery address.

I did all that but I still logged in with my Irish Apple ID and it let me use Parcel Motel as delivery address.

Some vendors will allow you to ship to an address other than the one on your credit card account - is that the issue that you're raising?

Amazon UK don't have a problem shipping goods for ROI customers to Parcel Motel in Belfast which is a different address (and technically a different country) to their credit card addresses. Smaller vendors typically won't take a chance and will insist on delivering to the same address.

Yeah you can do that, but I wasn't sure if the poster had an Apple ID.

Some vendors will allow you to ship to an address other than the one on your credit card account - is that the issue that you're raising?

Amazon UK don't have a problem shipping goods for ROI customers to Parcel Motel in Belfast which is a different address (and technically a different country) to their credit card addresses. Smaller vendors typically won't take a chance and will insist on delivering to the same address.

I had no issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

For those that have ordered from the UK site, were you given an estimated delivery date?

For those that have ordered from the UK site, were you given an estimated delivery date?

Delivery date between 1-5 April

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Joo0

What price would we expect on prepay? €449/479? Will they offer it for free on bill pay?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,485 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Joo0 wrote: »
    What price would we expect on prepay? €449/479? Will they offer it for free on bill pay?

You do realise it won't be 'free' on bill pay but the cost of the phone is included in your contract?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Yorky

In due consideration then, there's no risk buying from Apple UK as the warranty is the same as ROI?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

Yorky wrote: »
    In due consideration then, there's no risk buying from Apple UK as the warranty is the same as ROI?

Correct. That is for warranty

Not for consumer law. 6 years in Ireland for Consumer law, 2 years for Northern Ireland ( 6 years for England and wales and 5 years for Scotland )

So is it worth the saving though?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

flexcon wrote: »

Not for consumer law. 6 years in Ireland for Consumer law, 2 years for Northern Ireland ( 6 years for England and wales and 5 years for Scotland )

In what circumstances would the consumer law difference be of use? I've had a couple of faulty iPhone's that needed to be repaired under warranty but I knew once the manufacturers 1 year warranty was up then I was on my own. So what's the advantage of the longer consumer law?

In what circumstances would the consumer law difference be of use? I've had a couple of faulty iPhone's that needed to be repaired under warranty but I knew once the manufacturers 1 year warranty was up then I was on my own. So what's the advantage of the longer consumer law?

Basically if you iPhone battery started going to **** say halfway through year 3, you can ring them and say that this issue has been persistent since day one and has gotten progressively worse.

You would claim that the issue was there on delivery and you are seeking your right to claim now on this.

Grey area, grey example, but have personal dealings with this and works.

Another example, my Macbook Pro charger cable got freyed. It needed replacing. It was like this " since delivery" but only claiming now under my rights,

no charge on either example.

I am not saying whether this is morally or legally right, however it is up to each one of us to fight our corner and consumer law is hard to get out of for big companies.

Hope that makes sense why consumer law can come in handy when needed. It is up to you to be informed and not the company to inform you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 conaic

Just got a phone call from Apple asking to confirm I've shipped to a UK address (pm) and details etc before they'd process as opposed to my Irish address. Presume that is standard??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

Basically if you iPhone battery started going to **** say halfway through year 3, you can ring them and say that this issue has been persistent since day one and has gotten progressively worse.

You would claim that the issue was there on delivery and you are seeking your right to claim now on this.

Grey area, grey example, but have personal dealings with this and works.

Another example, my Macbook Pro charger cable got freyed. It needed replacing. It was like this " since delivery" but only claiming now under my rights,

no charge on either example.

That leaves a a sour taste in my mouth to be honest. This is lying to get a 6 year warranty, which is an abuse of what the law was intended for. Hate dealing with people like this, who don't give a second thought to telling a 'little' lie for personal gain. It's not like you're on the stand at court or anything but if everybody did this then the products would be twice the price.

daveyjoe wrote: »
    That leaves a a sour taste in my mouth to be honest. This is lying to get a 6 year warranty, which is an abuse of what the law was intended for. Hate dealing with people like this, who don't give a second thought to telling a 'little' lie for personal gain. It's not like you're on the stand at court or anything but if everybody did this then the products would be twice the price.

Well it is lying depending on the interpretation.

for example if my battery won't hold charge after 3 years and i barely used the iPhone, charged maybe 150 times, then that means actually it is covered under consumer law as that battery was defective inside when it arrived - And it took a few years to show its head. Depends on your reading of consumer law.

So I am mostly in the same boat as you on this, however in some cases we pay out 85 euro for a replacement charger for your Macbook awhile you are a few months out of warranty, when it frayed at the junction point. In reality though, it is clearly a design fault and hence I ring and say that this was always going to break, and it is not just wear and tear. They pay out to me and send the replacement.

They don't have to. That is clear, Apple and Co do not have to give any free replacement and it is up to myself then to go to court to chase this up. So regarding the products then costing more, it is an odd situation, as this means their products really only do last one year and then break if such playing the system had a huge impact on them, or else in reality only a tiny majority of people actually stand firm and believe that those goods are not fit for purpose and Apple agree and replace.

Lets be clear, that 85 euro charger is not costing them 85 euro, its costing them around 15 and they are not losing out on a sale, as most won't pay 85 and go to eBay and get a generic for 25 or so.

I am not exactly endorsing playing the system, my point above in the previous post was just information how consumer law is there and works in your favour if the company believes they too might be in a grey area. I don't suggest breaking your home button on an iPhone 5 and then claiming that it broke itself, or was like this since day one. I am more for the genuine " I believe this product was not fit for purpose and did not reasonably last for a set period as defined in the consumer law "

Consumer law " Under Irish consumer law, any defect or non-conformity of goods with the contract which becomes apparent within 6 months of delivery are presumed to have existed at the time of delivery. After the expiry of this 6 month period, the burden to prove that the defect or non-conformity of goods with the contract existed on delivery generally shifts to the consumer."

"Under Irish consumer law, consumers may choose to have defective goods or goods which do not conform with the contract sale either repaired or replaced free of charge"

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I've gotten my iPhone replaced/repaired outside of warranty and under the consumer law in phones bilought from the UK and used in IRL.

Advertisement