Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Young couples living in parents "sheds"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭stoplooklisten

Good idea

• Registered Users Posts: 23,535 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Tbh it's a non storey being dramatised by the paper , for years people have been living in mobile homes at the end of gardens. Those yokes cost about 30k and don't have a resale value . If your forking out 30k it's not to save for s deposit

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Been going on for years. Planning enforcement here in Dublin deal with a lot of these cases as they are reported to them very often.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Googled some of those sheds.

Now have serious want for one to use as a Man Den.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

And the problem is????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,637 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

A hyped up load of nonsense, like all the Gardai that apparently sleep in their cars cos they can't afford petrol.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

People living in dwellings shocker.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,510 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I have one in my back garden. It's used as a man cave. I have a bar, home brewery, full sound system, guitar wall, xbox one, 52" TV, and a sofa bed. If my missus would let me sleep in it, I would!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I was at a house viewing a couple of weeks ago. Saw a lovely man cave. Only thing missing was a bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Deer

My parents are converting their concrete shed into a mini bungalow rather like a granny flat for a family member. They had to get planning for it. Also going to cost about 60k. Will be interesting to see how it works out. I think its madness. Family member they are building for will cover the cost but I think the electricity will have to be run from the main house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

antodeco wrote: »
    I have one in my back garden. It's used as a man cave. I have a bar, home brewery, full sound system, guitar wall, xbox one, 52" TV, and a sofa bed. If my missus would let me sleep in it, I would!

I hate you.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Deer wrote: »
    My parents are converting their concrete shed into a mini bungalow rather like a granny flat for a family member. They had to get planning for it. Also going to cost about 60k. Will be interesting to see how it works out. I think its madness. Family member they are building for will cover the cost but I think the electricity will have to be run from the main house.

60K - now that is a shed an a half!
    I'd love a man cave.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Butters1979

antodeco wrote: »

I love you. This is now my new aspiration in life.

Deer wrote: »

It has to be connected to the main dwelling in order for it to be habitable. Otherwise it's just a garden shed ancillary to the main dwelling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Please do not post unlicensed stock images. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

They're more often than not an extra room, giving the person a decent bedroom, a small kitchen, and a sitting room.

Great for those that are in the box room. Also, they are becoming popular to rent if there is a laneway giving the tenant alternative access, but some such places don't have plumbing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

I have one as well down the back , converted the old garage for it, cost around 20k. It's pretty much a guest house/Man cave...I have a bar , TV , PS4 , corner couch , sound system , bathroom , kitchen , bedroom...but I'm going to convert the bedroom or part of it into a gym I think..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

They're more often than not an extra room, giving the person a decent bedroom, a small kitchen, and a sitting room.

Great for those that are in the box room. Also, they are becoming popular to rent if there is a laneway giving the tenant alternative access, but some such places don't have plumbing.

are ones with laneway access getting permission?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

What happens if the main house has to be sold, is the couple then turfed out on their ear as they have no access to 'shed'?

Wyldwood wrote: »
    What happens if the main house has to be sold, is the couple then turfed out on their ear as they have no access to 'shed'?

Obviously they would have to leave, though its not a situation that would evern happen I would imagine as for one its not a long term thing for them to live in the "shed" and secondly I doubt anyone would be going down that route of putting a "shed" in the garden if there was issues with the mortgage on the main house.

Its no different really to the common practice of living in a mobile home on your parents land while building your own house which is common in rural areas so that couples can move in togeather after getting married and build their house but avoid having to pay loads of rent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Not sure, but they appear on Daft from time to time.

Wyldwood wrote: »

They are domestic sheds. They remain part of the main dwelling and transfer of ownership occurs at sake time. Same for granny flat extensions.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

tbh i'll probably be putting my mam into one of these in a few years :pac:

Idbatterim wrote: »

No. It has to be physically connected to the main dwellings and a permanent access link between then remaining in place at all times.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭paulocon2

I have been thinking about something like this for some time now as a games room (pool table, tv etc.) for the teenage childer and of course myself!

Loads of companies offering cabins so very hard to choose. Out in the sticks in quite an exposed area so I'd have concerns about how well these cabins would hold up over time.

And so I imagine nobody reads the story

"The consumer is looking for a temporary solution, designed to get their children or families in a position to afford a down payment on a full-sized home," said Ecohouse director Terry Hutt.

kceire wrote: »
    No. It has to be physically connected to the main dwellings and a permanent access link between then remaining in place at all times.

I reckon most are just not getting permission or getting permission for something that doesn't have a bedroom but putting in one anyway.

I can see in Dublin this may be a problem as people are not very neighbourly and report things awful fast but in other parts of the country its much easier particularly rural areas. You could more or less do what you want in my home area be it building sheds, extensions etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭hytrogen

Surprised it's been spun so negatively. This is an opportunity for those of us with property to expand upon and earn a small cash income and more security.
    With the growing pressures of being more efficient with land use I'm surprised councils are not being more encouraging of these creative developments, and yes MAN CAVES all round lads!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭froggie76

When we decided to buy, we bought a mobile home for €500(which was less than our rent at the time) put it in the parents garden, saved like mad and worked all hours for about 8 months and got the deposit together for a house. When we moved out the younger brother took it over as a "man cave"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭cassid

Am outnumbered in my house by males ,currently 9/1 , I think I need a female cave

Advertisement