Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Young couples living in parents "sheds"

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I reckon most are just not getting permission or getting permission for something that doesn't have a bedroom but putting in one anyway.

I can see in Dublin this may be a problem as people are not very neighbourly and report things awful fast but in other parts of the country its much easier particularly rural areas. You could more or less do what you want in my home area be it building sheds, extensions etc.

Believe it or not it would be the more "posh" areas that report each other. The likes of Finglas, coolock etc would have lower complaints about these types of uses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

If they're below a certain size and height then they're exempt from requiring planning permission, so there's nothing to report in a lot of cases?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,394 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Skerries wrote: »
    people are buying "sheds" and putting them on their parents property while they save for a proper house

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/young-couples-sleeping-in-parents-garden-sheds-to-avoid-high-rents-34558408.html

unless the folks are paying for that shed (it's clearly not a shed) then how does that help saving for a deposit.

Absolute nonsense story.

lawred2 wrote: »
    unless the folks are paying for that shed (it's clearly not a shed) then how does that help saving for a deposit.

Absolute nonsense story.

A decent one can be got for €15,000. Depending on where you are living, that'd be 6 months rent. So after 6 months, it's very easy save for a deposit!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I could convert current garage to studio or one bed apartment for two k max as I can do all the work myself. Seriously thinking about it. At 2k the repaymet time would be 3 months v rent and bills I'm paying now...

• Advertisement

A decent one can be got for €15,000. Depending on where you are living, that'd be 6 months rent. So after 6 months, it's very easy save for a deposit!

fair enough I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

It would be handy if these companies did a sell and buy back scheme, if and when the unit is no longer needed...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Could you put one of these in the back garden (with full Road access to the back) and rent it out to make a few quid?

Could you put one of these in the back garden (with full Road access to the back) and rent it out to make a few quid?

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/repairs_maintenance_and_minimum_physical_standards.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Yes , but you have to have a permanent connection to the main house for planning permission.

(Doesn't mean that door cannot be locked at all times)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

froggie76 wrote: »
    When we decided to buy, we bought a mobile home for €500(which was less than our rent at the time) put it in the parents garden, saved like mad and worked all hours for about 8 months and got the deposit together for a house. When we moved out the younger brother took it over as a "man cave"

Now, thats the way to do it.

Spending 20k on your temporary shed when saving for a deposit is madness. You'd have to work a lot of hours to make up that 20k. In fact 20k will get you 18 months rent in a standard 2 bedroom apartment.

Im getting a bit of "Look at me, Im forced to live in a shed in my parents garden to save for a deposit", when in fact its more a case of people being as frivolous with their money before they even get their deposit.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    If they're below a certain size and height then they're exempt from requiring planning permission, so there's nothing to report in a lot of cases?

Sorry that's incorrect info. The area and height restrictions are for domestic sheds. The moment someone starts sleeping in one it becomes habitable and it then becomes planning non-compliant. Reports of people sleeping in sheds are a 100% valid complaint.

€2500 rent per month. Wtf are they renting for that price?

Short answer = no.

kceire wrote: »
    €2500 rent per month. Wtf are they renting for that price?

I did say it depended on where it was! Even if they were paying up to 2,000 a month, they would soon be able to start saving for their own home.

The bigger question is why they don't just live in the parents house and save all rent and shed buying expenses.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,969 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I think planning should be given for these provided the owner allows RA tenants or family members to live in or rent them.

Housing shortage helped.

Minimum standards of course as per regs.

Why is it frowned upon I wonder provided regs are met?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The bigger question is why they don't just live in the parents house and save all rent and shed buying expenses.

We've had this discussion before.

Maturation is the short answer.

Have you actually tried living with a partner in your mammy's house? How did the kitchen-sharing thing work out???

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭madmac187

A dumbass friend of mine lives in one of these on his parents farm with his girlfriend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Have you actually tried living with a partner in your mammy's house? How did the kitchen-sharing thing work out???

I can foresee lots of problems but to be honest, the kitchen doesnt immediately spring to mind as being one of them.

Actually when I wrote the above I was imagining sharing the kitchen with my parents where thered be no hassle. Then I imagined sharing with the parents of herself. :eek:

• Advertisement

Maturation is irrelevant if saving for a deposit etc, the less outgoings you have the quicker it happens.

I haven't lived at home with a partner but I would have no issue doing it whatsoever. There is more than enough space we have a big house and as for kitchen sharing well I don't see how that's an issue. Main meals would be everyone eating together not cooking seperately and if you want to cook something outside of that etc then why would that be an issue.

I have relations who never moved out of home and when they got married they moved in their spouse to live there and then obviously inherited the house when their parents died. This arrangement was very common in rural areas especially so I don't see a couple living in one of their parents houses being anything out of the ordinary particularly if it's in order to save for a deposit or while building a house nearby.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

Saving for deposit is the long answer though. And that would happen quicker by simply living in the house and contributing to bills and upkeep.

Do these sheds have kitchen facilities?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

kceire wrote: »
    Sorry that's incorrect info. The area and height restrictions are for domestic sheds. The moment someone starts sleeping in one it becomes habitable and it then becomes planning non-compliant. Reports of people sleeping in sheds are a 100% valid complaint.

Yes, should have clarified, I was talking about their use for a man/lady shed, home office, additional room etc, as opposed to their use as a living space.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,685 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Maturation is irrelevant if saving for a deposit etc, the less outgoings you have the quicker it happens.

I haven't lived at home with a partner but I would have no issue doing it whatsoever. There is more than enough space we have a big house and as for kitchen sharing well I don't see how that's an issue. Main meals would be everyone eating together not cooking seperately and if you want to cook something outside of that etc then why would that be an issue.

I have relations who never moved out of home and when they got married they moved in their spouse to live there and then obviously inherited the house when their parents died. This arrangement was very common in rural areas especially so I don't see a couple living in one of their parents houses being anything out of the ordinary particularly if it's in order to save for a deposit or while building a house nearby.

Jesus. This bangs of tapping the foot impatiently for parental demise. I've come across it in fairness and I've heard the all to common phrase "sure it's my inheritance anyway and I'm entitled to it". A sort of morbid pre-inheritance entitlement attitude.

I'm not having a go at you or your relations that did this Nox, and, I'm sure from reading your previous posts it's common where you're from. but I'd be uncomfortable doing it and so would my siblings and parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭hytrogen

Three words:
    Smelly feet
    and
    Snoring

Maybe the parents should move out and downsize? Leave the minions to run the rook & the aul pair go travel around the world & be free

Advertisement