Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Refuse rent hike, can I be evicted?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Hmm, then it sounds messy but to be honest I'm not sure at all. It would be a weird situation that I doubt any tenant would put up with for so long anyway.

Don't assume. Depending on what the tenant does (student, seasonal worker) and what their own situation is, they may be happy to move out for a month each year and then move back again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Don't assume. Depending on what the tenant does (student, seasonal worker) and what their own situation is, they may be happy to move out for a month each year and then move back again.

Particularly if they've negotiated a below market rent because of the situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

Even at the end of the four year cycle you still have the right to stay on don't you?

Even at the end of the four year cycle you still have the right to stay on don't you?

No you can be asked to leave without any reason at the end of the 4 year cycle, getting the required notice of course.

No you can be asked to leave without any reason at the end of the 4 year cycle, getting the required notice of course.

Ah I see, what happens if you've had 4 fixed term 1 year leases and have never asserted a part 4 tenancy? Can you initiate one at the end of that final 1 year lease?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Ah I see, what happens if you've had 4 fixed term 1 year leases and have never asserted a part 4 tenancy? Can you initiate one at the end of that final 1 year lease?

lol, nice try.

A part 4 tenancy isn't connected to any fixed term lease.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Butters1979

In that case the LL and tenant would have a mutual agreed on this arrangement and therefore any rules and regulations don't really matter.

Part IV tenancy rights automatically are in place after 6 months and automatically expire after 4 years. You do not have to assert them.

Thanks for clarifying. That's a bit crap though isn't it?

My rent was increased during summer 2015. My lease term ends in summer this year and it is my fourth one. Does this mean the landlord is free to give me the boot so he can charge a new tenant a higher rent again?

Thanks for clarifying. That's a bit crap though isn't it?

My rent was increased during summer 2015. My lease term ends in summer this year and it is my fourth one. Does this mean the landlord is free to give me the boot so he can charge a new tenant a higher rent again?

Once he give you the correct notice yes he can ask you to leave if he wants.

Once he give you the correct notice yes he can ask you to leave if he wants.

...and he can ask the next tenant for a higher rent? In spite of the recent legislation.

• Advertisement

...and he can ask the next tenant for a higher rent? In spite of the recent legislation.

Yes because the new tenant would be a totally new tenancy unconnected to anything which happened during your tenancy.

It's not in spite of recent legislation, new legislation is dealing with existing tenants, it was never meant to prevent a LL from doing what you are suggesting. You hardly expect a tenant to be able to have indefinite occupation of a property they don't own.

Yes because the new tenant would be a totally new tenancy unconnected to anything which happened during your tenancy.

It's not in spite of recent legislation, new legislation is dealing with existing tenants, it was never meant to prevent a LL from doing what you are suggesting. You hardly expect a tenant to be able to have indefinite occupation of a property they don't own.

No, but I didn't expect the law to be so constituted as to in essence incentivise a landlord to evict a tenant either. If I wish to remain the landlord cannot increase the rent, if he boots me he can do so. That is not an intellegent design for the law.

On the wider point I don't necessarily know that I don't think a tenant, who has behaved appropriately, paid their rent, should have the right to greater security of tenure. Business owners can't arbitrarily dismiss good employees there maybe a case to be made for similar protections for upstanding tenants.

Advertisement