Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is there no regulation for LPG "distributors"?

Options
  • 21-03-2016 10:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

The apartments we live in have LPG central heating and LPG water heating. The whole complex of about 100 flats has a huge underground LPG tank with each flat having its own meter, every month you get a bill for the standing charge plus the gas used from a local building company labelled "pay within 21 days to avoid disconnection. €50 reconnection fee".

The bill wasn't actually even due til today, and I only missed them Friday because THEY closed early, then they disconnected before the 21 days they say you have was up - early Saturday with no way to get it back on over the weekend, leaving us with a freezing flat, a sponge and a sink of kettle-filled water for a shower, and a very unhappy special needs child.

Today (bearing in mind it wasn't even due til today) I was given the stark option of pay €50 to have it reconnected - even though the bill said it wasn't even due yet and it won't be reconnected until toward the end of the week) or don't have it reconnected at all.

Turns out short of trying my chances in the court, which isn't wise because they are no obligation to supply me gas at all and they can just withdraw service altogether out of spite if they decide to, there is not a thing can be done.

Why aren't these numpties held to the same standards as if it was Natural Gas? A cold flat with no hot water just isn't fun, and I hadn't even paid it late.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭VincePP

Bring it up with the management company - I assume there is one. They are in effect the "regulator" for the apartment complex. Put a proposal at the agm to move to another supplier, get enough people to support you and the managment company must change supplier.

Also, small claims court cost €25 - thats the other option. Assuming 21 day had not lapsed from the date of issue of the bill (not date it was received) then you will win. Court can apply compensation for and stress caused too.

I'd wriet a simple letter saying that if it is not reconnected immediately you will both fill in a small claims case immediately and also make an official complaint to the management company of the apartment block and put a proposal at the next agm to the committee to look at alternative suppliers and that this proposal and a proxy form will be sent to all apartments.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,932 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

VincePP wrote: »
    Bring it up with the management company - I assume there is one. They are in effect the "regulator" for the apartment complex. Put a proposal at the agm to move to another supplier, get enough people to support you and the managment company must change supplier.

Also, small claims court cost €25 - thats the other option. Assuming 21 day had not lapsed from the date of issue of the bill (not date it was received) then you will win. Court can apply compensation for and stress caused too.

I'd wriet a simple letter saying that if it is not reconnected immediately you will both fill in a small claims case immediately and also make an official complaint to the management company of the apartment block and put a proposal at the next agm to the committee to look at alternative suppliers and that this proposal and a proxy form will be sent to all apartments.

I don't think the SCC can do this? They can apply the value of the product cost of whatever, but not compensation.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Roisin G

It's back on and I'm getting the €50 back as a credit on my next bill.
    Thank you.

Advertisement