Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick question - Finding a replacement for a room rental

Options
  • 21-03-2016 11:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭

So I am moving out of a room I moved into at the Start of March.

I plan to start renting a room that came up with Friends.

I rang the estate agency who is happy as long as I fill the room in time.

However a girl who also rents a room in the house is making things a bit harder as she wont be around for viewings until next weekend and is also very particular on who I get.

Question is do I have to work with this girl to get someone who she likes? or can I just fill the room myself as long as the person has the proper references etc..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Do you have a joint lease got the whole house or do you have your own lease for your room? If it's the latter the housemate has no rights to have a say. If it's the former and a new joint lease for the house has to be signed then I'm afraid you're going to have to work with her.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭MrSzyslak

No when I moved in I signed a lease for the room as everyone has separate leases. If she was more reasonable I would work with her, but her viewing times and no female policy is leaving it too tight for me.

Thanks a lot for your reply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Clampdown

If your lease is just for your room and is with the estate agency, she has no say (legally) on who rents the room at all. Why does she even think that?

As long as you have the keys, arrange the viewings yourself and take her out of the equation. You can hand the room over to whoever gives you the cash to replace your deposit and then tell them to lodge the rent with the estate agents. End of story. Try to get someone decent but it's not up to her who moves in and it is quite hard to judge who is good to live with off of one meeting anyway. If she is giving off bad vibes to any potential takers for the room that could scare people away. As a guy, a girl with a 'no females' policy for roommates in the house would be a red flag as I would assume she could be also be unwelcoming or unfriendly to any female friends or dates I might have over to visit at the weekend or whatever.

If she wants to have total control over her housemates she needs to rent a whole flat/house in her name and then she can pick who moves in to any vacant rooms. You'll never get the room rented if you let her continue to dictate like this!

Advertisement