Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Safety features in car - Front Assist

• 21-03-2016 11:24pm

Hi All

Front Assist and City emergency braking. I am very keen on these features. Unfortunately they are relatively recent additions to the likes of VW, Skoda etc so if you want them you need to buy later modes.

Would be interested in any views.

On a side note I am taken aback b the general lack of knowledge and rudeness displayed by sales staff in the car showrooms. I appreciate they are selling lots of cars and really want the person coming in with a lot of money to spend, not me with my smallish budget. But the level of smart aleckness I have experienced has been really surprising. And the lack of knowledge about the cars and features. I appreciate they have cars in and out all week, but how long does it take to make a complete list of the cars features instead of this ' I think it has this, or I think it has that' type of attitude.

Or have I just met the bad ones? These are not little back street garages either

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Hi All

Front Assist and City emergency braking. I am very keen on these features. Unfortunately they are relatively recent additions to the likes of VW, Skoda etc so if you want them you need to buy later modes.

Would be interested in any views.

I am all for it.

Even if it does not save you from a collision, it seriously reduces the severity of the impact. It might save you week of hospital stay or even better.

When you're adding the Front Assist, add the Adaptive Cruise Control as well - it will not cost much more. One of the best toys out there...
    On a side note I am taken aback b the general lack of knowledge and rudeness displayed by sales staff in the car showrooms. I appreciate they are selling lots of cars and really want the person coming in with a lot of money to spend, not me with my smallish budget. But the level of smart aleckness I have experienced has been really surprising. And the lack of knowledge about the cars and features. I appreciate they have cars in and out all week, but how long does it take to make a complete list of the cars features instead of this ' I think it has this, or I think it has that' type of attitude.

Or have I just met the bad ones? These are not little back street garages either

Generalization is not fair - but that's my impression of the industry as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,061 ✭✭✭kirving

It won't be too many years until forward facing radar to stop / minimise impacts is a legal requirement for all new cars.

Look at the US for example, reversing cameras are being phased in over the next couple of years for new cars because they improve safety so much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

It won't be too many years until forward facing radar to stop / minimise impacts is a legal requirement for all new cars.

Look at the US for example, reversing cameras are being phased in over the next couple of years for new cars because they improve safety so much.

Until they start fitting wipers they aren't very safe when you really need them, reversing in the rain or after it rained. Keep forgetting to wipe the lense after driving on wet roads and then get annoyed when I have to use mirrors next time I drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,061 ✭✭✭kirving

Depending on the model, the camera will have software features to detect dirt and water on the camera and disable it until it's clean, or have the rear washer jet pointed on it.

Back on the thread though, I'd agree that car salespeople, in my limited experience don't have a great knowledge of what they're selling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,318 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

@ OP What s your budget? Are you buying brand new or second hand? Maybe do some research online first. look up cars and reviews on cars that are within your budget. You might also find out the spec on them too and then you will know what you want when you go to the car dealer.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement

AMKC wrote: »
    @ OP What s your budget? Are you buying brand new or second hand? Maybe do some research online first. look up cars and reviews on cars that are within your budget. You might also find out the spec on them too and then you will know what you want when you go to the car dealer.

My budget is around 12/13K. I have done loads of research online and know what I would prioritise in a car. And that's OK if brand new. However I find with second hand the sales guys often don't know what features the car actually has. Some are visible obviously, some not, like the stability control, front assist etc. And I don't feel like trying them out on a test drive :)

I am down to a 1 years old polo or a brand new aygo. Both a bit over the budget , and both with their own appeal. Polo possibly has a better resale value, aygo just looks a bit better , not as bland as the polo.

Thanks for all input so far. If anyone has any comments on my 2 choices I would be glad to hear

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Aygo is from the segment below the Polo so there will be a bit of a difference in interior finish and refinement between both. The VW Up! competes with the Aygo while the Yaris competes with the Polo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,318 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

What about a 1 or 2 year old Clio. Renault have a great reputation for safe cars and for being well equipped and even innovative sometimes. The Clio is a very nice car and there might be one out there with the spec you want on it.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Advertisement