Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting thrown out of places for vaping.

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Shinobollo wrote: »
    I'm probably going to end up with a ban for this ...

Yeah I'm a known ban happy mod. Can we at least watch our tone? You know try the higher moral ground? Tell people why they are wrong. Debate. If none of these things work or you think it's just someone fishing then report the post. Thanks.

Oh one more thing. Enough with the "haven't seen you here before" crap. Weed out the trolls, debate the people who amicably disagree with you and welcome (without sarcasm) new posters to the forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Shinobollo

mewso wrote: »
    Yeah I'm a known ban happy mod. Can we at least watch our tone? You know try the higher moral ground? Tell people why they are wrong. Debate. If none of these things work or you think it's just someone fishing then report the post. Thanks.

Oh one more thing. Enough with the "haven't seen you here before" crap. Weed out the trolls, debate the people who amicably disagree with you and welcome (without sarcasm) new posters to the forum.

Aw shucks. All I did was welcome them to the forum.
    Seriously though - Point taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Not being funny, but why doesn't this section have it's own moderator? This is the only thread I've seen you post in mewso over the past few months in this section. Last time was to warn me off for feeding the trolls too. With upcoming regulations, and alot of eyes on vaping, I think this section should have it's own dedicated mod. Just an idea.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Not being funny, but why doesn't this section have it's own moderator? This is the only thread I've seen you post in mewso over the past few months in this section. Last time was to warn me off for feeding the trolls too. With upcoming regulations, and alot of eyes on vaping, I think this section should have it's own dedicated mod. Just an idea.

Take it to an admin Thecageyone. I respond to reported posts and here is where the latest have been. There is no such thing as a mod that doesn't actually enforce the rules so you probably wouldn't be happy with anyone although most would have banned you. Having said that if there are people here who are reliable and want the job they can have it. Far too much hassle, fending off vendors, people who think they should be able to abuse posters, petty arguments. It's a barrel of laughs so step on up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Take it to an admin Thecageyone. I respond to reported posts and here is where the latest have been. There is no such thing as a mod that doesn't actually enforce the rules so you probably wouldn't be happy with anyone although most would have banned you. Having said that if there are people here who are reliable and want the job they can have it. Far too much hassle, fending off vendors, people who think they should be able to abuse posters, petty arguments. It's a barrel of laughs so step on up.

I think you do a great job tbh. Shills are weeded out quickly, reported posts dealt with. Can't really ask for more!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

I think vaping could potentially self implode within the next 5 years.

A huge swathe of of the general public just don't like it. End of story. All the medical studies and personal testimonies won't change their mind. Its a visual thing primarily I feel. It just looks too much like smoking.

A lot of these people are lawmakers. Look at the crusade against vaping in the US. I don't necessarily buy that tobacco companies are behind it as a lot of them are currently investing millions in their own vapour/combustion free products.

Unfortunately the face of vaping is not the 65 year old man with a new lease of life who can now walk a flight of stairs and play with his grandkids thanks to switching to a vape pen.

Vaping is represented by the expos full of cloud contests, people in flatbilled hats blowing weather systems and half naked women handing out free bottles of tastelessly branded e-liquid. Flavour is not what these companies are interested in anymore. Its a race to the bottom. Who can be the most shocking and outrageous in order to stand out from a huge pack of generic e liquids.

Vaping has a huge image problem right now that is not helping it gain legitimacy, I can't help but think that the TPD is just the first step towards a total ban.

Banned me for what? What I said was far less than some others have in here, I think that would be singling out for no good reason. All you have to do is check all my posts in here and see I'm a decent member who never stirs crap. I just seen it come here out of the blue and responded. I'm not the one digging the thread up either, but it keeps re-surfacing, it' there ... I told you the reasoning for my initial posts too, vapers don't stand up for themselves because they get shut down by the anti-brigade, and it's allowed to happen , even on vaping forums. Don't be defensive about my suggestion, it's nothing personal. I honestly think this place should have it's own full time mod though. I didn't say it should be one to suit me either, don't know where you're getting that from? I could name 2-3 regulars here that would be good for it. certainly not me, wouldn't even consider it. I think a dedicated section mod might have closed this thread up long ago though. It's doing nothing here but causing bad vibes. And it is the only thread I have seen you partake in, that wasn't a dig, just an observation. If it's too much hassle maybe you should pass it on to someone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Banned me for what? What I said was far less than some others have in here, I think that would be singling out for no good reason. All you have to do is check all my posts in here and see I'm a decent member who never stirs crap. I just seen it come here out of the blue and responded. I'm not the one digging the thread up either, but it keeps re-surfacing, it' there ... I told you the reasoning for my initial posts too, vapers don't stand up for themselves because they get shut down by the anti-brigade, and it's allowed to happen , even on vaping forums. Don't be defensive about my suggestion, it's nothing personal. I honestly think this place should have it's own full time mod though. I didn't say it should be one to suit me either, don't know where you're getting that from? I could name 2-3 regulars here that would be good for it. certainly not me, wouldn't even consider it. I think a dedicated section mod might have closed this thread up long ago though. It's doing nothing here but causing bad vibes. And it is the only thread I have seen you partake in, that wasn't a dig, just an observation. If it's too much hassle maybe you should pass it on to someone else?

Arguing with a mod on thread for one is normally an infractionable offense on most forums. The whole attitude of who can and cannot post would also have had an action taken on it as generally the mod team try to make sure forums are inclusive there have been issues in the past of an us versus them vibe coming from within forums when folks forget this is an open forum.

Post history has little to do with the above items and what you think is a personal fingerings you out is just site wide policy.

Finally as advised dedicate mods are decision for the administration team.

Calhoun wrote: »
    Arguing with a mod on thread for one is normally an infractionable offense on most forums. The whole attitude of who can and cannot post would also have had an action taken on it as generally the mod team try to make sure forums are inclusive there have been issues in the past of an us versus them vibe coming from within forums when folks forget this is an open forum.

Post history has little to do with the above items and what you think is a personal fingerings you out is just site wide policy.

Finally as advised dedicate mods are decision for the administration team.

You're not a mod ... I'll just pm one on the matter.

You're not a mod ... I'll just pm one on the matter.

Great I would also suggest raising a request in the feedback forum and working with the administration team they can help you out.

• Advertisement

Great I would also suggest raising a request in the feedback forum and working with the administration team they can help you out.

No idea what you're harping on about tbh, but I have pointed out what's going on in this thread. You can stop pretending you're some kind of Moderator now.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Shinobollo

Ah here - leave it out lads.
    I'm feeling fierce guilty for starting this S#ite.

Cagey - keep the faith man, take a deep breath and let it go - plleeeaaaasssssseeeeeeee.
    We need you around here. You share so much with us, I know I'm not the only one who places great faith in your contributions.

Mods have a thankless job to do, we in the forum have to look after each other.
    And "at the end of the day","haters gonna hate'.
    Roy Keane and Taylor Swift quotes in one sentence - gotta be worth bonus points !!

Tis Friday, so to finish with one more quote - one from the sadly departed genius forever known as Prince "Let's go crazy"

Yeah, you're right, this is a bit silly. It's not even vape related anymore. I'll leave this one alone, peace \m/

No idea what you're harping on about tbh, but I have pointed out what's going on in this thread. You can stop pretending you're some kind of Moderator now.

No im not nor do I pretend to be I was suggesting where you could post based on my experience on the site.

Apologies not my intent to come across as attacking or derailing I was expanding on your comments on moderation.

No im not nor do I pretend to be I was suggesting where you could post based on my experience on the site.

Apologies not my intent to come across as attacking or derailing I was expanding on your comments on moderation.

Fair enough. We did veer off topic though. For the record, I feel like slapping people I see blowing 'clouds' in public areas, it gives rest of us a bad name and draws all the wrong kind of attention. I have no problem with people complaining about arrogant vapers. It's the scare-mongering, often nonsense that can't be backed up stuff that just irks. We are doing our best to stay smoke free. I think anyone who's got that far that they wanted to try vaping to quit the smokes, deserves encouragement. Not bemoaning.

I just get touchy on the subject, nothing personal.

Advertisement