Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice for someone who is looking for a job

Options
  • 22-03-2016 12:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hello.
    My name is Felipe, I'm 27, a brazilian guy living in Dublin. I'm going to Galway this week, to visit and try to find a job. Dublin is full of foreigners, it makes hard to me find a job. I'm trying for one month and no answers. I worked in IT for five years, but I don't care about the position.
    I just wanna know, good places to give my CV, where they often hire people. I don't know anything about Galway, I'm looking for advices.
    My English level is Intermediate (B2)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,952 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

What do you have experience doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I think you're more likely to get jobs in Dublin. Galway is much smaller and just as full of foreigners as Dublin.
    I suggest you come over to visit and spend a weekend handing in CVs into cafees and similar.

Try contacting other Brazilians on Facebook, maybe they can give you tips.
    https://www.facebook.com/BrazilianCommunityInGalway/
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/374477019236040/
    Also the village of Gort outside the city has a large Brazilian population.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 felipestoker

What do you have experience doing?

5 years = IT support
    1,5 years = Front-End Developer
    6 months = Social Media Manager

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Foxx92

5 years = IT support

Have a look on monster.ie. It tends to have more of the technical jobs that fit your skills.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Hello.
    My name is Felipe, I'm 27, a brazilian guy living in Dublin. I'm going to Galway this week, to visit and try to find a job. Dublin is full of foreigners, it makes hard to me find a job. I'm trying for one month and no answers. I worked in IT for five years, but I don't care about the position.
    I just wanna know, good places to give my CV, where they often hire people. I don't know anything about Galway, I'm looking for advices.
    My English level is Intermediate (B2)

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,952 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

5 years = IT support

You're not going to get jobs doing any of those things by dropping off CVs over the weekend! Monster or Indeed are your friends for them.

In general being a foreigner should not affect your ability to get those jobs either (though your English probably isn't up to social media manager work ere yet) BUT you're from a non-EU country - do you need sponsorship for a work visa??? This is very hard to get anyways, and will be a lot harder in Galway than Dublin.

Unless you've worked in hospitality (bars, restaurants etc), then forget about getting work in Galway based on a weekend visit. Either come for the trip and enjoy your weekend. Or save the bus-fare and keep looking in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

5 years = IT support

There's probably a number of roles that you'd be suited too in EA or SAP ?
    But I'd apply through the websites and wait to be called.
    Jobs.ie is ok too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭eezipc

I'm 27, a brazilian guy living in Dublin. Dublin is full of foreigners, it makes hard to me find a job.

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭johnmolly92

Getting in touch with a recruiter might be the way to go. Even if it is like selling your soul to the devil!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 felipestoker

eezipc wrote: »
    :confused:

Sorry. I think I expressed myself poorly. I am also a foreigner.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Try https://www.google.ie/search?q=portuguese+language+support+site:.ie and see if there's anything in Galway/Dublin/Cork/etc

Advertisement