Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Interclub captains

• 22-03-2016 1:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭

Just wondering how are they selected in Clubs and what is expected of them, do they pick selectors or vice captains to pick teams. What's the norm in clubs and are they compensated for their time?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,424 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Just wondering how are they selected in Clubs

Usually the club captain, or someone nominated by the club captain, picks the team captains.
    what is expected of them

This can be broken down into 3 different styles of captaincy

[1.] Bare Bones Captaincy - a team captain is expected to select a team and travel with them to wherever they are playing.

[2.] Generally acceptable - Have a small number of trials/practices and from those practices pick a team. Then arrange to have your team go play a practice or two at the course where your matches take place

[3.] Committed - Have a large number of trials/practices, generally taking place a number of months in advance. Arrange practice matches against local clubs and upon selecting the team, make a number of trips to the course where matches will take place. In my experience, teams that are committed generally seem to succeed a lot better in inter-club
    do they pick selectors or vice captains to pick teams

Entirely up to the team captain or club captain how they want to run it. I have been Senior Cup captain in Athlone for the past 3 years. For the first 2 I elected to pick my own vice captain which has worked very well. I picked my dad to captain with me. This year, I have had a vice captain forced on me by the club captain and I've been told to drop my dad. That's kinda left a sour taste in the mouths of the team camp but the club captain seems to think it will work well, so that's how it goes.

I would expect that a club captain should offer the team captain to select their own vice captain(s) and let them pick the team without interference from other sources. A captain needs someone that they trust to help them make the important decisions in the team

What's the norm in clubs and are they compensated for their time?

From my perspective, the norm in Athlone is that captains would adopt a Number 2 or Number 3 style of captaincy and the ones who go number 3 do tend to have the greater success. If you are a club captain looking to pick team captains, do it now and try to find people who you would believe would try at least the number 2 style.

Compensation is entirely club specific. If your club has a.) an expected level of performance and b.) MONEY - then yes, compensation is something that happens. Some of the bigger clubs in Connacht would offer some level of compensation to their Barton Shield/Senior Cup teams as they would be expected to make All Irelands regularly enough. Not so much other clubs in the province.

Hope this helps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Green Peter

Rikand wrote:
    Hope this helps

Thanks for that, great insight, guess the No 3 option is what wins out at the business end of competitions!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Ronney

Just wondering when you say clubs are paying compensation what do you mean?

I would guess most clubs would have funds to cover the likes of a drink and a bar or an overnight stay for a match a distance away.

Also in some clubs Team managers would have a Budget for their team which would cover things like Buckets of range balls, team lessons or extra practice rounds.

You would want to be careful with regards to paying people other compensations for say loss of earnings from taking a day off for a match as it would be borderline along what is allowed under the Amateur status rules.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Hoof Hearted2

Calling team managers "captains" only leads to confusion in a club environment. There is only one captain and that is the club captain, and before people harp in with "well the manager in the rdyer cup is called captain", well that's because he is and there are no other captains in that scenario bar vice captains.

In our club the captain picks the team managers and usually the captains instructs his managers how he would like the teams to be run, panels, trials practice rounds, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭crusier

Calling team managers "captains" only leads to confusion in a club environment. There is only one captain and that is the club captain, and before people harp in with "well the manager in the rdyer cup is called captain", well that's because he is and there are no other captains in that scenario bar vice captains.

In our club the captain picks the team managers and usually the captains instructs his managers how he would like the teams to be run, panels, trials practice rounds, etc.

The gui handbooks refer to team captains in the rules for the various competitions, there are also lists of team captains for each club, anyway alot of club captains wouldn't know there arse from their elbow when it comes to teams or how to run them and this is why they vary in effort from year to year!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭ShriekingSheet

Ridiculous statement. Who exactly might be confused?

What difference does it make to anyone's life if they're (incorrectly) called managers, or called Captains (in keeping with the norm in all golf, not just Ryder Cup)?

It's not like there's only one anyway. Isn't there a Lady Captain, and lots of clubs have Junior Captains. It's been like that for a hundred years.

The only reason I can see anyone having issue with this is ego on the part of a current or past Captain of the club, seeking to lower the status of others and elevate themselves. If there's any other reason that might actually be viable, by all means share it with us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Hoof Hearted2

Ridiculous statement. Who exactly might be confused?

What difference does it make to anyone's life if they're (incorrectly) called managers, or called Captains (in keeping with the norm in all golf, not just Ryder Cup)?

It's not like there's only one anyway. Isn't there a Lady Captain, and lots of clubs have Junior Captains. It's been like that for a hundred years.

The only reason I can see anyone having issue with this is ego on the part of a current or past Captain of the club, seeking to lower the status of others and elevate themselves. If there's any other reason that might actually be viable, by all means share it with us.
    Thank you, for the case in point.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Kingswood Rover

As we are a small club al team managers all come from the committee, while option 3 detailed above is obviously the way to go actually getting players to commit to any practice sessions can be difficult due to work and family life. The Garden County Trophy is a comp that we always enter and that has meant that our Barton cup team has plenty of games using different combinations. It has also helped us in finalizing the panels for the Provincial towns and Duggan cups. As we have a small full membership we have a good idea of what members are interested in playing interclub and do not really bother with putting up notices asking people to put their names down. The term "fail to prepare....prepare to fail" comes to mind if you are a team manager.

Advertisement