Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What happened to the Trivial Things That Annoy You thread

Options
  • 22-03-2016 2:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,581 ✭✭✭✭

I miss this thread already and I understand why it is locked but how can you stop banter and empathy its part of the TA idea. Otherwise can I request a link to the Ranting and Raving forum as I like an oul rant, why bottle it up, let it out.

Actually could someone pm me the R a R forum link, thanks.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

What's the TA idea?

Edit: Is it "That Annoy"?

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

OldGoat wrote: »
    What's the TA idea?

Edit: Is it "That Annoy"?

Trivial annoyance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

it apparently got too chatty and Facebookish, and got closed. I assume there were complaints about it as it is a popular thread, and my favorite. Shame. But when you have people just having pages of back and forth banter, nothing wrong with that, it takes away from what the threads about.

I do want it reopened though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    My apologies, with a few other threads keeping us busy I completely forgot about this.

Anyway, to the point. This thread won't be reopened and threads like it will likely be closed soon or when they hit 10k posts.

The reason for this is, generally we don't allow chat threads in AH. A lot of the content from these threads, previous to the creation of the threads, were the main content for AH but now instead of creating what could be a fun/hilarious/interesting thread, it is just a post lost to a chat thread.

On chat threads we generally see cliques forming that dominate a conversation which deters others from joining in the discussion. We want to do our best to make sure everyone feels welcome in AH.

This along with the multiple warnings regarding chat in the threads has lead us to close TTTAY and the probable closure of other like-minded threads

Hi all,

Please see above which I have added to the closed TTTAY thread.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 16,623 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

It should have been called Trivial Incidental Things That Annoy You, purely so the acronym could have been TITTAY.

• Advertisement

Hi,

I'm starting this feedback thread in response to the closure of Trivial Things That Annoy You. I would just like to give my reasons why it and others like it should remain.

When I first started to post in AH I was a bit overwhelmed. I had an interest in many of the threads but I felt a bit shy joining in. The fun threads helped me with that. In fact it was on one that I made a good friend. One night I was having a really crap time of it and a poster reached out to me. That wouldn't have happened on the gangland crimes or equality threads.

So I see these lighter places to have a real purpose in bringing the community here closer together and making it a more welcoming place for new people and those who are more nervous or hesitant about the other threads. If anything they are inclusive of all posters rather than having the opposite affect of alienating some due to cliques.

I welcome all input on this.

Persepoly.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Threads merged.

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

I feel the same Persepoly. While I post on the more serious threads on AH, it's the lighthearted ones that I prefer (I've even tried to start a couple myself). The serious ones tend to leave me frustrated and I find that they end up with endless back and forth on the same points and I have to withdraw for the sake of sanity :)

I do understand that TTTAY got a bit chatty, but I find now that I'm paranoid about posting anything slightly off-topic at all for fear of infraction/thread closure.

The AH Charter says:

What is After Hours?
    After hours is the place to come on boards where general discussion can be light-hearted. The aim here is to have a bit of a laugh, a bit of a chat and not to piss anybody off while doing so.

It's a shame to feel that chat is off limits. Maybe I'm just being overly cautious? Is there a case for a chat thread? I know the mods are against it, but I'd be interested to know why they feel it can't work on AH, when it does on other forums.

ETA: I don't miss the endless questions about what a TA is though! :D

Threads merged.

tHB

The threads are merged but they don't appear that way. I wonder could you change the heading so it is the same as the other threads here? Also new posts don't appear. You have to go in to the thread to see that someone has posted.

maudgonner wrote: »

It's a shame to feel that chat is off limits. Maybe I'm just being overly cautious? Is there a case for a chat thread? I know the mods are against it, but I'd be interested to know why they feel it can't work on AH, when it does on other forums.

AH is a different type of forum to the rest of them. It has the potential to be the whole site if you know what I mean. A one stop Boards if you like. So I do understand the pitfalls of having chat threads. However I think a bit of banter in the Trivial Things and threads like it is no harm. It was fun and I really do believe it's those threads that help connect users.

• Advertisement

The thread that was closed was a chat thread. There was little discussion in it. As per the quoted charter above - AH is for general discussion. Other forums cater well enough for chat, such as the Cuckoo's Nest. There's no need for multiple forums just to have banter threads for members.

Also, AH is not meant to be a one stop forum for Boards. If that were the case it would kill the discussion in other better-suited topic-specific forums, thus killing the site.

Also, AH is not meant to be a one stop forum for Boards. If that were the case it would kill the discussion in other better-suited topic-specific forums, thus killing the site.

I'm only seeing your post now tHB.

I agree that AH is not meant to be a one stop forum. The point I was making was that it's important to avoid this and therefore I could understand the tricky nature of including chat threads.

However I still feel the threads in question serve a purpose. If you believe The Cuckoo's Nest to be the best place then should the likes of "Rate my hangover" go there also?

...If you believe The Cuckoo's Nest to be the best place then should the likes of "Rate my hangover" go there also?
    I used tCN as an example of one forum better suited to chat threads. As for where the "Rate my hangover" thread should go - I'll leave that up to the mods who may be more familiar with it than myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

The AH Charter says:

What is After Hours?
    After hours is the place to come on boards where general discussion can be light-hearted. The aim here is to have a bit of a laugh, a bit of a chat and not to piss anybody off while doing so.

:confused:
    so chat is encouraged but also not allowed?
    The above decision is one of the strangest I've seen here on boards and it makes zero sense to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭mynameis905

:confused:
    so chat is encouraged but also not allowed?
    The above decision is one of the strangest I've seen here on boards and it makes zero sense to me.

+1

I literally cannot see any downside to just letting the thread run on. It's obviously massively popular having been through three or four 10,000 post threads already.

It just seems like someone far back in the mists of time decided that 'chat threads' aren't allowed and Boards is just closing the thread on a prissy technicality.

I wonder if Kersplat or the other mods could clarify things a little? In the closure post it was mentioned that like-minded threads would also be closed soon, or once they reach 10k posts.

I'm just wondering what threads they have in mind? Long-running threads, light-hearted threads? Or whether it's just a general warning that threads have to stay on-topic. How much chat is too much chat?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

I wonder if Kersplat or the other mods could clarify things a little? In the closure post it was mentioned that like-minded threads would also be closed soon, or once they reach 10k posts.

I'm just wondering what threads they have in mind? Long-running threads, light-hearted threads? Or whether it's just a general warning that threads have to stay on-topic. How much chat is too much chat?
    I assume it to mean Trivial Things That Make You Happy and possibly Dumb/Smart Facebook Status.
    Any deemed too chatty or too high a risk of becoming chatty.

I assume it to mean Trivial Things That Make You Happy and possibly Dumb/Smart Facebook Status.
    Any deemed too chatty or too high a risk of becoming chatty.
    That's kind of what I thought alright. But then I imagine you'd have to include 'Interview the Person Below You', and 'Do You Recognise the Poster Above You' as well.

I don't personally post in those, but they seem to be among the most popular on AH, and an easy way for new posters to get involved, I would have thought? The opposite of cliquey.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

That's kind of what I thought alright. But then I imagine you'd have to include 'Interview the Person Below You', and 'Do You Recognise the Poster Above You' as well.

I don't personally post in those, but they seem to be among the most popular on AH, and an easy way for new posters to get involved, I would have thought? The opposite of cliquey.
    Yeah I forgot about those but they will probably go too which is a shame.
    They've all been going ages.

Anyway my feedback is I think it's a bad idea but unless more people involve themselves in this thread that will be that.

Yeah I forgot about those but they will probably go too which is a shame.
    They've all been going ages.

Anyway my feedback is I think it's a bad idea but unless more people involve themselves in this thread that will be that.

If a cull is in the works (and again, maybe the mods could clarify whether that's the case), it would be good to have the existence of this thread flagged on the AH forum. I'm sure lots of posters don't venture into Feedback unless they have a specific reason to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭Poochie05

I'm too intimidated to post in most threads on AH but felt able to participate in the TA thread, that to me is the opposite of cliquey!
    If it's more appropriate in another forum, keep me posted and I will follow!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

Speaking as a long-time boards member who has a very, very hard time with AH in general, I always thought that TTTAY was one of the more accessible threads. I thought it was closed because it was getting close to the magic 10,000. Obviously not, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,445 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

If the Dumb/Great Facebook thread gets closed I'm going to join Facebook and shave my leg so Jesus will reinstate it if I get enough likes!!!

Seriously though, the few AH threads I get involved in, such as the above, seem to be a lot less cliquish than most of the other ones I poke my nose into occasionally.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

Was it not because of all the cringey flirting that went on in the TA thread? I really liked that thread and posted in it a few times but it seemed to veer off into "ooh matron" style posts every day or so and that did come across as quite cliquey (to me).

I think I can see both sides of the argument but I think the thread should stay. It was light-hearted and very, very funny sometimes.

I am a member of R&R and I like that forum too but the TA thread was a bit more laid back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

The TA thread was marvellous and should have continued. If mods thought it was getting too chatty, and I agree it was, why not warn those who had started the stupid flirty chat to cease and let the rest of us continue. It was one of the rare threads in AH where you didn't get your head bitten off by other posters and where some civility remained.

After my initial view I have found myself on the fence.

I absolutely do believe that the light threads help make AH more accessible. The place can get a bit rough. However there is another side to that welcoming and comfortable place. Some posters may also feel excluded.

As much as I love the chatty threads I'm no longer sure that AH is the best place for them. It is essentially a discussion forum. Perhaps there can be some kind of balance found?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

The TA thread was marvellous and should have continued. If mods thought it was getting too chatty, and I agree it was, why not warn those who had started the stupid flirty chat to cease and let the rest of us continue. It was one of the rare threads in AH where you didn't get your head bitten off by other posters and where some civility remained.
    I seem to remember multiple warnings being given out.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Threads of that nature create a clique environment that encourages a closed group rather than an open one. Hate them.

Also "Interview the person below you" should be killed. With fire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

Threads of that nature create a clique environment that encourages a closed group rather than an open one. Hate them.

^^^^ This.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭mynameis905

I seem to remember multiple warnings being given out.

It was a lighthearted thread. Over modding it to within an inch of it's life is never going to work. I absolutely despise the Boards mentality of locking stuff for no good reason. Just let the thread ramble on and allow it to drop off the front page and die by itself if people stop posting there.

Advertisement