Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What happened to the Trivial Things That Annoy You thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

It was a lighthearted thread. Over modding it to within an inch of it's life is never going to work. I absolutely despise the Boards mentality of locking stuff for no good reason. Just let the thread ramble on and allow it to drop off the front page and die by itself if people stop posting there.

Just because you don't approve of a reason does not make it not a good reason.

Something annoyed me earlier and was disappointed to see it was gone.

Now where will I air my petty grievances? Facebook? Pah.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,581 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

mud wrote: »
    Was it not because of all the cringey flirting that went on in the TA thread? I really liked that thread and posted in it a few times but it seemed to veer off into "ooh matron" style posts every day or so and that did come across as quite cliquey (to me).

I think I can see both sides of the argument but I think the thread should stay. It was light-hearted and very, very funny sometimes.

I am a member of R&R and I like that forum too but the TA thread was a bit more laid back.

Hi Mud who did you ask for the link to R&R, I've pmed a few of the R&R mods for a link but none of them have got back to me.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

I get that it was a bit chatty. But it always seemed like there were plenty of on-topic posts too.

Would it not be possible even to ban users from the thread who were overly chatty? (I include myself in this btw - I've done a bit of back-and-forth banter in the thread. If it was over the top, then I've no problem with being excluded from it).

Closing it completely seems like the nuclear option. Especially if other threads will be closed too. The fact that they're so popular should mean something, I would have thought? (Having said that, I'm not a mod. So if they're just a monumental pain in the arse and not worth it, then grand. But are they really harder to mod than the endless bad tempered Shinner/Muslim/Irish Language/Dole threads?)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

I really miss this thread too and felt that closing it was a bit OTT. Yes, I guess it did get a bit chatty at times, but there were still plenty of on-topic posts. The chattyness didn't bother me personally (just ignored it). I never felt the thread was too cliquey to post there myself, I think it was fairly inclusive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I seem to remember multiple warnings being given out.

Yes indeed. But not specifically to those responsible. Nor where there any cards issued for ignoring the general warnings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Starokan

Yes indeed. But not specifically to those responsible. Nor where there any cards issued for ignoring the general warnings.

Surely this is the most relevant point - it was a good thread, light hearted, witty and seemed to offer something different to the other threads much of which descend into the same back and forth repetitive arguments

I get its more work and I get that general warnings were posted , I think what is unique to this case is that most people posting regularly in it seemed to me to be regular quality contributors to the site and thus may have responded positively to warnings etc

It seems counter productive to just end something that clearly a lot of people enjoyed posting in and reading in. Surely a better system is to warn ban repeat offenders and see if the message gets across.

I for one would appreciate it if moderators would look at the case for reopening it

Threads of that nature create a clique environment that encourages a closed group rather than an open one. Hate them.

Also "Interview the person below you" should be killed. With fire.

I have come off the fence.

The above thread is actually one which I believe should absolutely remain. It doesn't stray in to chat territory and helps build connections. So it's keeping inclusivity and staying away from clique territory. I have yet to witness a poster on it being left out. Regarding the balance I mentioned I think that can be gotten by allowing "Interview the person below you to continue".

After Hours is unfairly criticised. I know posters who are afraid to go near it. The mods have a duty to make it an inclusive environment. I think holding on to a lighthearted thread which allows users to have a bit of fun is one way of doing that.

There is a deeper debate underneath this which has been brought up in Feedback before. That is what is the nature and purpose of after hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

Hi Mud who did you ask for the link to R&R, I've pmed a few of the R&R mods for a link but none of them have got back to me.

Try http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/member.php?u=236264 or http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/member.php?u=83089

I was on R&R before it became a members only forum but those two mods seem active enough. Happy ranting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭mynameis905

Threads of that nature create a clique environment that encourages a closed group rather than an open one. Hate them.

Also "Interview the person below you" should be killed. With fire.

No one is forcing you to read them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

This is currently being discussed further among mods but I'd just like to highlight the fact that even though the threads are closed or may be closed in AH, there are plenty of other forums where these threads either already exist or can exist.

Trivial things that annoy you - Ranting and raving
    Trivial things that make you happy - Sunshine and lollipops
    Interview the person below you - TCN
    Dumb Facebook posts - Ranting and raving

Puzzles and quizzes has plenty of these types of threads too.

Being shut down in AH doesn't mean the end of them it means you have to click on a different thread... that's all.

As above, the threads tend to get cliquey, chatty, flirty, etc and even after multiple warnings there was absolutely no change.

Someone pointed out some inconsistencies in the charter, we'll have a look into that when possible.

Anyway, as I said, it is being discussed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

Kersplat, would you mind posting some information here how one can get access to the ranting and raving forum? I know you need to contact a mod of that forum, but I'm not sure how to find out who mods it since I don't have access to it? I'm probably not the only person here who wasn't really aware of this forum's existence.

Sure :)

Ranting and Raving

Mods

Fluorescence
    Overheal

PM either for access. I've no idea if there are any requirements.

Sunshine and Lollipops

TCN

Puzzles and Quizzes

So, AH mods have decided that from 6pm today. That all TTTAY, etc threads will be locked. Any fun threads like that will be locked and users directed to the relevant forums.

Cheers,

K

I've asked this in the AH thread, but it should really be clarified as to what "fun" actually means in the context above. And what current threads are going to be impacted because of this decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

I've asked this in the AH thread, but it should really be clarified as to what "fun" actually means in the context above. And what current threads are going to be impacted because of this decision.
    Fun is anything that people find enjoyable.

Any current thread that is fun will be impacted because of this decision.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Check the date, lads. ;)

I legitimately cannot tell if this is an April Fool's Day prank.

I'm just going to give up the Internet for today. Fuppin' silly day.

Here's a hamster eating a pancake, because fup today.

5f948f87a67ddb71d8764c22368b90b9.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

I legitimately cannot tell if this is an April Fool's Day prank.

I'm just going to give up the Internet for today. Fuppin' silly day.

Here's a hamster eating a pancake, because fup today.

5f948f87a67ddb71d8764c22368b90b9.jpg

Too much fun. Banned.

440oolong.jpg

What I find amazing is the sheer amount of photos of cute animals and pancakes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Just a quick update from myself: I'm starting this early. If any of you have a problem, please wait until a CMod grounds me and takes over the computer, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Tombi! wrote: »
    Just a quick update from myself: I'm starting this early. If any of you have a problem, please wait until a CMod grounds me and takes over the computer, thanks.

That's premature emasculation Tombi, I didn't realise you suffered from it?

I suffer from a lot of things: trauma, hearing voices, seeing things, being too nice. All of the problems of being an AH mod.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,571 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

All of the problems of being an AH mod.

*raises hand*

I'm currently suffering from electromagnetic hypersensitivity

I'm suffering from a case of reopening threads.
    I don't care what the rules say. I'm breaking 'em all.

I'm suffering from a case of reopening threads.

Uhm. This might be of help to you, so.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,962 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Mods have too much power to make us all miserable. LOL, (if we are allowed to!)

Boards is being taken over by other Social Media, that is obvious, but in order to remain relevant it should allow harmless stuff like TTTAY. Card those who are taking it off topic.

Very unfair that those who contribute with great, and often hilarious TTs should bear the brunt of a few who "chat" when they shouldn't. Why not just ban those people/cliques, and let the rest of us enjoy it?

Anyway, no point in making a reasonable point, as ban probably awaits ME for criticising the mods I suppose now.

Imagine closing down a thread that many enjoyed because of a few. Mad indeed, and it won't help traffic.... it was a huge thread.

It's like prison here sometimes. Give me porridge.

That was a cruel April fool's trick because you know what? Soon it's not going to be a trick and the threads will be gone.

All those who enjoy posting in such forums must come together and form a private social group of fun. We will call ourselves Posters for fun and who are against no craic mods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭mynameis905

That was a cruel April fool's trick because you know what? Soon it's not going to be a trick and the threads will be gone.

All those who enjoy posting in such forums must come together and form a private social group of fun. We will call ourselves Posters for fun and who are against no craic mods.

Seek, and ye shall find

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Boards used to be about community now its all money and girls

Advertisement