Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What happened to the Trivial Things That Annoy You thread

Options

Comments

Ah no boards is still my favourite :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

Any update?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

R&R is all well and good but just not the same:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭Poochie05

Haven't moved on to R&R, a forum that you need to ask to get access to seems a bit cliquey to me... :p Miss you all my TA'd friends!

I notice that the "things which turn you against someone" thread is back in After Hours.

I'm curious about that because I thought it was in a similar vein as the trivial annoyances, interview the person, etc type of threads?

Edit: Booms Baps closed it :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

BAM!!! Locked.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

R&R feels like a cheap aldi/lidl imitation of what the TA threads were.

Robsweezie wrote: »
    R&R feels like a cheap aldi/lidl imitation of what the TA threads were.

We are all* over in the Cuckoo's Nest having the craic*. Only thing is you can't post about annoyances and the rules are, well I don't know what they are.

*A few
    *Not really

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

We are all* over in the Cuckoo's Nest having the craic*. Only thing is you can't post about annoyances and the rules are, well I don't know what they are.

*A few
    *Not really
    Ive popped in for a look but its just not the same...still very upset here over the TTTAY thread tbh,it really was enjoyable as well as helping to lower my blood pressure by putting TAs in writing.May need therapy as the sadness aint going away.:(:pac:

Colser wrote: »
    Ive popped in for a look but its just not the same...still very upset here over the TTTAY thread tbh,it really was enjoyable as well as helping to lower my blood pressure by putting TAs in writing.May need therapy as the sadness aint going away.:(:pac:

Tell me about the sadness you feel Closer?

:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

Tell me about the sadness you feel Closer?

:p
    :D
    I cant because Mr Baps might view it as a TA and crack his whip.:(

Colser wrote: »
    I cant because Mr Baps might view it as a TA and crack his whip.:(

I got your name wrong. Sorry about that.

You're right! Booms Baps. The greatest mod know to posters.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

If anyone has legitimate feedback for here then please fire away, otherwise I'm locking this as it's starting to descend into a chat thread.

I am wondering about the inclusion of random silly threads in AH? One's like "how do you take your tea", "do you add a mixer to your scotch or drink it straight". Those types. They can get a bit cliquey as well I have found.

Will they no longer be allowed?

Report them and we'll look into each one as they come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭thattequilagirl

Zaph wrote: »
    If anyone has legitimate feedback for here then please fire away, otherwise I'm locking this as it's starting to descend into a chat thread.

Here's my feedback.

AH is/was a community.

By taking some of the most popular threads and putting them elsewhere, you've left a hole in that community. These were two threads where people rarely argued and Mod intervention was rarely needed.

Your arguments don't hold up.

1. No one has come back yet on the contradiction with the AH charter where it says the place is about a chat and a laugh

2. If it's about cliques then why would you put the threads elsewhere rather than removing them?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Zaph wrote: »

Feedback: The closing of that thread directly contradicts the AH charter, can someone please explain why it was done? It makes no sense

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    This is currently being discussed further among mods but I'd just like to highlight the fact that even though the threads are closed or may be closed in AH, there are plenty of other forums where these threads either already exist or can exist.

Trivial things that annoy you - Ranting and raving
    Trivial things that make you happy - Sunshine and lollipops
    Interview the person below you - TCN
    Dumb Facebook posts - Ranting and raving

Puzzles and quizzes has plenty of these types of threads too.

Being shut down in AH doesn't mean the end of them it means you have to click on a different thread... that's all.

As above, the threads tend to get cliquey, chatty, flirty, etc and even after multiple warnings there was absolutely no change.

Someone pointed out some inconsistencies in the charter, we'll have a look into that when possible.

Anyway, as I said, it is being discussed.
    Feedback: The closing of that thread directly contradicts the AH charter, can someone please explain why it was done? It makes no sense

There you go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭thattequilagirl

Kersplat! You can repeat yourself all you want, the reason people continue to ask the same questions is that the answers you've given so far are inadequate and don't address the issues raised.

They're the reasons, if you feel they're inadequate then maybe an admin can be of more help to you. Me repeating myself is a waste of everyone's time.

• Advertisement

I'm gonna talk to the AH mods between today and tomorrow and will come back to this. Bear with me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭mynameis905

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    They're the reasons, if you feel they're inadequate then maybe an admin can be of more help to you. Me repeating myself is a waste of everyone's time.

Your reasons for locking the thread directly contradict the AH forum charter.
    What is After Hours?

After hours is the place to come on boards where general discussion can be light-hearted. The aim here is to have a bit of a laugh, a bit of a chat and not to piss anybody off while doing so

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

I've been saying this for the last year, for whatever reason AH is being slowly neutered and sanitised, and it really sucks. AH isn't supposed to be that kind of forum, it was always a place for rowdy banter and not civilised discussion. All that'll be left are the borderline political "social issues" threads if this carries on.

Compare the AH of now to the AH of five years ago and the simple difference is that the amount of craic allowed has been slashed dramatically. Whether this is due to pandering to the "I have a right not to be offended" crowd or trying to change Boards' public image or whatever, it's impossible to deny that (a) this is going on, and that (b) the majority of AH's regular users don't seem to be at all happy about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

I don't think anyone knows what AH is supposed to be anymore. Look at all of these threads mentioned; TA, Interview the person below you....weirdly were either started, or had their continuation facilitated (Interview part 2, 3 etc.) by current or ex AH mods.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,962 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Reddit and the likes will make boards redundant soon if those in charge do not wake up from their heavy hand moderating soon. At least wrt funny chat stuff.

Well mods, give us a reason please why clique members have not been carded in the TT thread?

But no. EVERY poster has been banned haven't they?

Instead Threads moved to a closed cliquey r and r board where you need to ask permission to post.

You could not in your wildest dreams make this up!

Someone needs to make an announcement to change AH Charter to something more serious in nature stat.

Over to mods.

All that members here want is a rational explanation for recent actions. I think that is reasonable anyway.

Thank you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

Personally, I'm glad to see the back of stupid threads like "trivial annoyances" and "interview the person below" etc. in AH .............. that's my Feedback.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭mynameis905

Reddit and the likes will make boards redundant soon if those in charge do not wake up from their heavy hand moderating soon. At least wrt funny chat stuff.

Well mods, give us a reason please why clique members have not been carded in the TT thread?

But no. EVERY poster has been banned haven't they?

Instead Threads moved to a closed cliquey r and r board where you need to ask permission to post.

You could not in your wildest dreams make this up!

Someone needs to make an announcement to change AH Charter to something more serious in nature stat.

Over to mods.

All that members here want is a rational explanation for recent actions. I think that is reasonable anyway.

Thank you

Unlikely. This thread is getting slightly controversial now which means it's going to be locked in 3...2...1...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭Story Bud?

I'll start by saying I completely agreed with the decision to lock the Trivial Things thread. It was not just a chat thread, it was a thread where certain posters tried to take it over as their own. A thread which was the start of a downhill turn for some posters ending in forum bans and even sitebans. So it's easy to say it's harmless etc, but for a while it wasn't harmless at all, it was the source of constant bitching, upset for some (perhaps wrongly) and a lot of reported posts for the mods.

This is why chat threads generally don't work in AH, this "clique" that people talk about, I don't actually think it's possible to have a community without cliques, and I don't think they're always a bad thing either. Friendships that come through online are often described as cliques and it is the nature of a board like this where people become known to one another.

There are lots of examples of cliquishness (is that a word?) in the defined sense of the word, people who know the "in" jokes - facekicker for example - new users wouldn't have a bleedin' notion what that reference is when they see it posted on thread - but what harm?

The issue is that there are very negative cliques too, ones which actively exclude people, and that is what we have seen time and time again in AH chat type threads. It's why there were so many bans, and so many cards handed out over the years. People ask why the thread was locked instead of warnings and bans being handed out - they were!

However, all that said, I have always been a big advocate of listening to the AH community when they give feedback, it's their forum after all. It's not to say we would have always changed the way we did things because someone wasn't happy - not in the slightest - we'd have been changing things back and forth every minute of every day in that case. We would have talked about it though, and Kersplat has indicated with his last post that he will be doing just that.

On the face of it, I completely disagreed with the suggestion that all of the bigger threads are going to be locked or moved when they reach 10,000 posts. Unless something has significantly changed in the past few months then none of the other threads ever caused an issue that I remember (and it's entirely possible that something has changed). The only exception was the unpopular opinions thread which was a disaster. Used often by people to try and get away with saying things that they knew damn well would get them banned elsewhere.

At this stage, I would be considering reversing the decision. I say considering, because I haven't been reading much of late so there could be something major that I'm missing. I would be applying a zero tolerance policy to it, break the rules, get thread banned.

There is a desperate need to get After Hours back to being a lighthearted forum, and yesterday it became depressingly apparent that it's going in the exact opposite direction.

There has to be a balance that can be found?

As a complete aside, I did make the suggestion to tCN mods, just before I threw in the towel, that the cuckoos nest be made a sub forum of AH. I was half joking, half serious at the time, but perhaps it could be considered if AH is going to be kept as a serious forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

The solution to the TT thread issues is simple and yet nobody has explained why it hasn't been done, but why were the chatty individuals not specifically warned or carded so the thread could continue as designed? Locking the thread down seems to have been a sledgehammer job.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

The solution to the TT thread issues is simple and yet nobody has explained why it hasn't been done, but why were the chatty individuals not specifically warned or carded so the thread could continue as designed? Locking the thread down seems to have been a sledgehammer job.

Apparently that "solution" was tried and failed, warnings were not heeded.

I don't really see what the problem is anyway?
    The TTTA thread, and similar threads, are allowed in the correct Forums ........ After Hours is not the correct Forum for those types of threads so the actual solution to your gripe is to start those types of threads in the correct Forums and post away ......... problem solved! :)

Advertisement