Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What happened to the Trivial Things That Annoy You thread

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

Why hasn't a new TTTAY thread been started elsewhere?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

Shannon757 wrote: »
    Why hasn't a new TTTAY thread been started elsewhere?

Nobody has felt the need to, I'm guessing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭thattequilagirl

MadDog76 wrote: »
    Apparently that "solution" was tried and failed, warnings were not heeded.

I don't really see what the problem is anyway?
    The TTTA thread, and similar threads, are allowed in the correct Forums ........ After Hours is not the correct Forum for those types of threads so the actual solution to your gripe is to start those types of threads in the correct Forums and post away ......... problem solved! :)

That's not what the AH charter says.

I'm not hugely bothered about the TT thread, but I'm annoyed about the interview thread, as well as the cumulative effect of removing the fun threads.

It doesn't make sense that AH was the correct forum for *years* but suddenly now it isn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭thattequilagirl

It's quite frustrating that Mods keep saying just post in the right forum, ignoring legitimate arguments that

a) AH is the right forum, based on its own charter and years of precedent

b) The whole problem with moving the threads isn't that we're too stupid or lazy to go to another forum - it's that AH has it's own atmosphere and feel and that's what many people like about it. So posting on the same thread in a different forum doesn't feel the same, in the same way that posting on Reddit doesn't feel the same.

I've made these points already, and I haven't seen a Mod address them yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

MadDog76 wrote: »
    Apparently that "solution" was tried and failed, warnings were not heeded.

I don't really see what the problem is anyway?
    The TTTA thread, and similar threads, are allowed in the correct Forums ........ After Hours is not the correct Forum for those types of threads so the actual solution to your gripe is to start those types of threads in the correct Forums and post away ......... problem solved! :)

Read what I said. The warnings were NOT specifically to the culprits and no cards were issued.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

The solution to the TT thread issues is simple and yet nobody has explained why it hasn't been done, but why were the chatty individuals not specifically warned or carded so the thread could continue as designed? Locking the thread down seems to have been a sledgehammer job.

throwing the baby out with the bathwater imo

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Well well well, what do we have here -> http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=99473910#post99473910

Behind the scenes the AH Mods have been deliberating over the closure and re-opening of the thread. We've gone back and forth on it a few times and taken all comments here into consideration. We've obviously swung in favour of opening the Trivial Annoyance thread.

We are going to be strict on it to keep the chat out, but want to do whatever we can to keep the fun alive.

And yes I know, there are loads of spelling mistakes in the new thread's title, just to ye know, TA some folk.

We wont be opening the Interview thread again....for now at least. That has found a new home and from what I can see, it's been a success in it's new home. That doesn't mean we wont review further down the line.

Thanks for the feedback here, it's been really valuable.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,581 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I'd say you could lock this now seeing that the TTTAY thread is back and thanks for doing that too. ;)

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I've been saying this for the last year, for whatever reason AH is being slowly neutered and sanitised, and it really sucks. AH isn't supposed to be that kind of forum, it was always a place for rowdy banter and not civilised discussion. All that'll be left are the borderline political "social issues" threads if this carries on.

Compare the AH of now to the AH of five years ago and the simple difference is that the amount of craic allowed has been slashed dramatically. Whether this is due to pandering to the "I have a right not to be offended" crowd or trying to change Boards' public image or whatever, it's impossible to deny that (a) this is going on, and that (b) the majority of AH's regular users don't seem to be at all happy about it.

The problem is the "I'm offended you are offended" crowd but anyway...

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

K-9 wrote: »
    The problem is the "I'm offended you are offended" crowd but anyway...

Not when it involves forcibly changing the atmosphere of a forum when the majority of that forum's users clearly aren't on board with that.

You can't have a forum which was lax about a particular issue for years and then suddenly say "right, we're removing this element and that's the end of it, period" while expecting people not to get pissed off about that. I've seen this on many forums over the years and I've been a moderator of many other forums, and it never works as the mods / admins intend it to work.

Pretty much every board flame war / spinoff / uprising / mass banning / etc on every major forum based website on the internet has, in my experience, not come about because of long-standing rules or policies, but as a result of new, stricter policies being foisted upon said communities even when those communities just don't want those new policies.

I for one didn't realise chat wasn't allowed on AH until this thread erupted, and I'm still not sure why this has happened. On any forum which isn't like 4chan, with usernames attached to posts, people will get to know eachother over time - I don't see why this is suddenly considered a problem. It's hardly exclusive or cliquey when you're a new user and you notice that other users already know eachother and have friendships - that's how every community, online and offline, works. And it's not a problem unless there's an element of unpleasantness about it - for example if new people are getting trolled or being told things like "what would you know, you haven't been around" when they try to make a contribution.

I've never seen evidence of that on AH (literally ever) apart from when somebody comes to ask a serious question and is informed, amid light banter, that AH isn't the right place for a serious discussion and that PI would be better suited to getting serious advice. Usually that results in the OP moving to PI with their thread and there's no real trouble over it.

Again, the issue here is that AH is being "moulded" through rule and policy changes rather than developing organically as it always has, and while obviously this is within the rights of the mods and admins, that doesn't mean it makes sense to the users. What's the point of it, exactly? If there's to be a sincere, serious discussion forum where the atmosphere is pre-defined and is heavily policed, then by all means create one and make it the major headline forum of the site. But taking an existing community which has been built around a different paradigm and trying to force it to become what a small group want it to become always results in disaster. You don't have to take my word on that, I'm only going on personal experience but I've been using and moderating forums since 1999 - and from GameFAQs to Ebaums, I have never once seen such an attempt at force-rebranding a community actually work.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,962 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Great to see it back. Fair play to admin/mods who listened to the gripers like myself.

It's a bit strangled because the rules are strict. But we will get used to them.

Anyway, good outcome.

Advertisement