Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer Transfer Window - 2016

• 22-03-2016 9:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Realised the other day that this will be nuts.

1: The super rich (City, Chelsea) have under performed and need to freshen things up big time. The also both have new managers.

2: Utd will probably have Mourinho and we know what he'll want to do.

3: Wenger needs to save his job

4: Klopp has to build a better Liverpool

5: Spurs will be looking to strengthen as opposed to sell

6: Leicester, West Ham, Southampton etc will be trying to keep their players but offers will be flying around - esp players like Kante, Payet, Mahrez.

7: The Euros will put loads more people in the shop window

All in all I'd imagine anyone who's done reasonably in Spain or France will go to the UK. Then you'll have massive tug of wars over players that have done very well in the PL this year.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Also, the extra TV money is kicking in so clubs will have even more money to blow, its probably going to be a record spend for a transfer window in Britain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Lanzini to make his move to West Ham permanent, £9 million fee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Everton finally have a new investor. Just need a new manager now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Premier League teams usually overpay for thir players but I suspect some of the fees paid will be laugable this summer.

Some clubs on the continent must be rubbing thier hands with glee anticpating the ridiculously inflated prices they'll receive from EPL teams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

It should be entertaining to see Chelsea, Man Utd and Man City all attempting to gazump one another.

Liverpool already have two signings done - Joel Matip from Schalke and Marco Grujic from Red Star Belgrade with Granit Xhaka, Mario Gotze and Piotr Zieliński all being linked by "respectable" sauces.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

It should be entertaining to see Chelsea, Man Utd and Man City all attempting to gazump one another.

Liverpool already have two signings done - Joel Matip from Schalke and Marco Grujic from Red Star Belgrade with Granit Xhaka, Mario Gotze and Piotr Zieliński all being linked by "respectable" sauces.

I'm guessing like sweet chilli or tartare.

Defo not HP

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

yeah made a similar post to the OP in an off topic thread the other day...
    This summer will be the craziest in terms of premiership transfer fees I can remember for so many reasons.

1) There is increased spending from traditional "Smaller clubs" already due to the new TV deal (see W.Ham linked to players like Lacazette and Oxlade-Chamberlain over the weekend for example.
    2) Pep to City where he was no doubt guaranteed a big cash warchest to build his team this will esp be the case with them a good bit off the pace this year.
    3) Mouriniho to Utd although tbh just Utd being united cos they have been spending like mad be it Moyes or LVG and I doubt that'll change in Jose's first season esp given how threadbare the squad has been for much of this season.
    4) Chelsea with a new manager as well (probably Conte) trying to get last years champions back in the mix and having to potentially replace playrs like Terry and Hazard.
    5) Klopps first Summer at Liverpool as he tries to put his stamp on the team and compete with the above
    6) Speaking of competing with the above Arsenal have the money as they showed with Ozil / Sanchez and if they don't spend it this summer not only will their fans go mad cos everyones seen their cash reserves but they will also no doubt be passed out and maybe lose out on CL footie let alone the league.
    7) If Rafa is at Newcastle (as in if they stay up) he has no doubt been offered a decent warchest too)
    8) Spurs & Leicester will have champions league football to offer players and will wanna bring in quality while they do in the hope that it won't only be next season that they can offer that to them.
    9) newly promoted teams spending their TV money a la Bournemouth in January so that they can hopefully stay in the premiership or at least set themselves up to be capable of bouncing back the following year.

Actually forgot Everton have new investors too.

Granix Xhaka looks like he is headed to Arsenal according to Sports Bild,fee,wages etc. agreed.

The Euros will stall the dealings for a while I reckon as players won't sort stuff out till after.

In the meantime all the big clubs will go crazy over any South Americans, Africans and Mahrez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

The Euros and the Copa America this summer. I think this will be a really good Euro's for new faces with the expanded tournament. I miss the olden days of never hearing of a player before the tournament and becoming a big name transfer target a few weeks later.

A great time to be an Agent, Creative Journalist or a Sky Sports News Presenter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

The Euros and the Copa America this summer. I think this will be a really good Euro's for new faces with the expanded tournament. I miss the olden days of never hearing of a player before the tournament and becoming a big name transfer target a few weeks later.

A great time to be an Agent, Creative Journalist or a Sky Sports News Presenter.

Like the legendary Karol Poborsky :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Like the legendary Karol Poborsky :D

Or any Senegal players in Korea/Japan

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Jesper

yeah made a similar post to the OP in an off topic thread the other day...

Actually forgot Everton have new investors too.

And the new government sponsored mega money that b just appeared in China! Apparently everyone is happy to make a loss to build the 'brand' and then hopefully it will sustain itself once built!
    Good to see Ken Bates is back in work :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

astonaidan wrote: »
    Or any Senegal players in Korea/Japan

The irony there of course being Liverpool having signed the two stars before the world cup....and I am sure they were giving themselves all a big pat on the back for a job well done after the first game Vs France!!

gucci wrote: »
    The irony there of course being Liverpool having signed the two stars before the world cup....and I am sure they were giving themselves all a big pat on the back for a job well done after the first game Vs France!!

I actually watched Diouf at Lens myself, my first game in a stadium :D and thought he looked like a world beater, so Ill give old Gerald a pass for it. Salif on the other hand, I knew little about, only that he was the new Viera :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

Anyone with a decent squad would do well to stay away from the transfer market this summer. A lot of money is going to be spent on some very average players and dead wood.

Korat wrote: »
    Anyone with a decent squad would do well to stay away from the transfer market this summer. A lot of money is going to be spent on some very average players and dead wood.

So your saying theirs a chance Villa will get 40mill for Grealish:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

We'll be selling to buy this summer, even with the increased money available and UEFA FFP seemingly a thing of the past, the club has been counting the pennies the last few windows and have been shifting players out to get guys in, cant see that changing this summer and with our squads worth of players out on loan, we could sell a few of the more high profile ones and add some more cash to the pot.

Theres no doubting we need a CB, Cahill is awful, Ivan similar, JT is 35 and not being kept on, Zouma is out until probably September and young so needs a leader next to him anyway, Christensen is doing very well in Germany but no point coming home for 5-10 games a year if youre starting every game in Germany. So first and foremost we need a CB.

CM is needed next, Ramires sold, Mikel useless, Matis isnt even related to himself this season and RLC is too young to start bigger games it seems, although that could change.

CF, Remy will go, Falcao wont be bought and theres question marks over Costa and Traore looks to be the most likely to be 2nd choice, so we'll need to another player there as I cant see Solanke or Bamford lining out behind Traore and Costa.

So for me, we need 2 starters, 1 beig a CB, the other CM and a good option upfront to compete with Costa, if he stays and have Traore as back up.

We'll no doubt sign a few fillers and theres still questions over Hazard, being honest, if we got mad money for him, I'd ship him off.

I'm expecting the club to spend about 100m and probably make about half of that on players being sold, more if a star player like Hazard is sold.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    We'll be selling to buy this summer, even with the increased money available and UEFA FFP seemingly a thing of the past, the club has been counting the pennies the last few windows and have been shifting players out to get guys in, cant see that changing this summer and with our squads worth of players out on loan, we could sell a few of the more high profile ones and add some more cash to the pot.

Theres no doubting we need a CB, Cahill is awful, Ivan similar, JT is 35 and not being kept on, Zouma is out until probably September and young so needs a leader next to him anyway, Christensen is doing very well in Germany but no point coming home for 5-10 games a year if youre starting every game in Germany. So first and foremost we need a CB.

CM is needed next, Ramires sold, Mikel useless, Matis isnt even related to himself this season and RLC is too young to start bigger games it seems, although that could change.

CF, Remy will go, Falcao wont be bought and theres question marks over Costa and Traore looks to be the most likely to be 2nd choice, so we'll need to another player there as I cant see Solanke or Bamford lining out behind Traore and Costa.

So for me, we need 2 starters, 1 beig a CB, the other CM and a good option upfront to compete with Costa, if he stays and have Traore as back up.

We'll no doubt sign a few fillers and theres still questions over Hazard, being honest, if we got mad money for him, I'd ship him off.

I'm expecting the club to spend about 100m and probably make about half of that on players being sold, more if a star player like Hazard is sold.
    Im looking forward to what ye do this year, first real shake up in a while, think JT leaving is the right thing, I can see Conte bringing one of his boys with him, I like Bonucci think hed do really well in English football. A lot of talk of TC leaving but where would he go, would playing in Paris really make sense

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Juxtapose

Strong links from the hammers to Benteke. Owners have said they like him a lot but wouldn't touch his wages. Can't see him taking a cut so perhaps off to China or the likes as i can't see him featuring for Klopp and they'll not want to take a huge loss.

Hammers have signed Lanzini for 8-9mill which i feel is already the best business they'll do. Lacazate (as mentioned here) and Batshuyi are targets too. I think the owners have been too forward with their "search for a 20 goal striker". I'd be happy enough with any of the mentioned, but mostly a player who has no injury problems as Sakho and Carroll do like their spells on the injury table.

Gonna be an interesting window with so many new managers and money from tv deals. As Korat said, being dilligent in this window could be the wisest move.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭fuzzydunlop85

Completely forgot Falcao was at Chelsea until Gavs post. What the hell was that transfer about, think Mourinho must have been trolling Chelsea at that stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,881 ✭✭✭✭klose

Completely forgot Falcao was at Chelsea until Gavs post. What the hell was that transfer about, think Mourinho must have been trolling Chelsea at that stage.

Doing jorge mendes a favour more than likely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Arsenal need a backup RB, CB, starting DM/CM, starting RW and starting CF. I expect to get two of those if we are lucky. Hopefully Arteta, Flamini and Rosicky arent offered new deals and that we could con someone into taking Walcott and Wilshere this summer. Cash in on Jenkinson and Szczesny and move on Mertesacker and Giroud with Debuchy also likely to leave.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Juxtapose wrote: »
    Strong links from the hammers to Benteke. Owners have said they like him a lot but wouldn't touch his wages. Can't see him taking a cut so perhaps off to China or the likes as i can't see him featuring for Klopp and they'll not want to take a huge loss.

Hammers have signed Lanzini for 8-9mill which i feel is already the best business they'll do. Lacazate (as mentioned here) and Batshuyi are targets too. I think the owners have been too forward with their "search for a 20 goal striker". I'd be happy enough with any of the mentioned, but mostly a player who has no injury problems as Sakho and Carroll do like their spells on the injury table.

Gonna be an interesting window with so many new managers and money from tv deals. As Korat said, being dilligent in this window could be the wisest move.
    Incredible that we've managed to sign Payet and Lanzini for ~20million given some of the flops that have signed for more than them combined. Have to say hats off to the board for their dealings in the transfer market in the last two seasons with the two aforementioned players and the likes of Kouyate, Cresswell, Valencia, Sakho, Antonio, Ogbonna, Obiang and, to a lesser extent, Jenkinson, Song and Moses all being great signings. Even Randolph has proven to be a shrewd free transfer. The only two signings that maybe haven't been great were Nene and Jelavic but they weren't exactly expensive flops.

I think if Sakho could be a great striker if he gets time under Bilic. I remember he was nearly unplayable in his first couple of months last season. Wouldn't be too disappointed if we don't get a proven striker in the summer. What we definitely need is a solid right back. Byram has potential but is a bit raw. Jenkinson was surprisingly awful this season and Tomkins and Antonio aren't proper right backs.

Can't see any important players leaving in the summer unless stupid money comes in.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Arsenal need a backup RB, CB, starting DM/CM, starting RW and starting CF. I expect to get two of those if we are lucky. Hopefully Arteta, Flamini and Rosicky arent offered new deals and that we could con someone into taking Walcott and Wilshere this summer. Cash in on Jenkinson and Szczesny and move on Mertesacker and Giroud with Debuchy also likely to leave.

My guess (based on current links etc)

Jenkinson to return from loan as backup RB, like Gibbs on the left he may be about as good as you will get that is happy to sit on the bench for all but the smaller cup games.

Wilshere to be the new Diaby and not go anywhere but only play a handfull of games every year.

Arsenal sign Granit Xhaka for the CM slot and he and (his compatriot) January signing Elneny to be considered the Arteta, Flamini & Rosicky replacements.

Alvaro Morata to be signed for upfront and Walcott to go back to be considered a RW even though Arsenal fans would prefer a new signing there.

CB will be where you will be dissapointed this year imo unless Wenger unearts a bargain that most don't know for that position as the eventual Mert replacement.

My guess (based on current links etc)

Jenkinson to return from loan as backup RB, like Gibbs on the left he may be about as good as you will get that is happy to sit on the bench for all but the smaller cup games.

Wilshere to be the new Diaby and not go anywhere but only play a handfull of games every year.

Arsenal sign Granit Xhaka for the CM slot and he and (his compatriot) January signing Elneny to be considered the Arteta, Flamini & Rosicky replacements.

Alvaro Morata to be signed for upfront and Walcott to go back to be considered a RW even though Arsenal fans would prefer a new signing there.

CB will be where you will be dissapointed this year imo unless Wenger unearts a bargain that most don't know for that position as the eventual Mert replacement.

Thats probably the most realistic idea of how Arsenals summer will go. I have to say if Arsenal signed Morata, I would be very disappointed. Would really open up the door for Welbeck to lead the line full time imo.

Debuchy will leave. Giroud and Mert won't.

Jenkinson is a RB so we won't need one unless he wants out.

Arteta, Flamini, Rosicky are done I think.

I'd say we'll get another CM, a striker and maybe a winger.

With the CB thing Wenger has two young up and coming CB's. So either he signs a world class established CB or slowly promotes one of them.

gosplan wrote: »
    Debuchy will leave. Giroud and Mert won't.

Jenkinson is a RB so we won't need one unless he wants out.

Arteta, Flamini, Rosicky are done I think.

I'd say we'll get another CM, a striker and maybe a winger.

With the CB thing Wenger has two young up and coming CB's. So either he signs a world class established CB or slowly promotes one of them.

I dont think Jenkinson is even good enough to be a back up at a big club but could put up with it if every other area was addressed. I think if Arsenal sign a striker, Giroud will be off. Would be delighted with the other three positions but we will be left short again as we all know.

• Advertisement

Bump for Mario Gotze and Jonas Hector to Liverpool.

Man City closing in on ter-Stegan and Gundogan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Poor Joe Hart hasn't done much to justify being replaced.

CSF wrote: »
    Poor Joe Hart hasn't done much to justify being replaced.

Honestly dont see much between him and the other top keepers, just because hes English they seem to love criticizing him here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

astonaidan wrote: »
    Honestly dont see much between him and the other top keepers, just because hes English they seem to love criticizing him here

Yup, he got over praised and now he gets over criticised to compensate. Very good keeper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I'm sure the city deals are 90% completed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Dortmund confirmed Hummels asked for transfer to Bayern.

Google translated
    Defender Mats Hummels Borussia Dortmund has communicated his desire to leave the club in the summer and want to join the league rivals Bayern Munich next season.

Borussia Dortmund's Board has subsequently decided to make such a change depends on whether Bayern Munich Borussia Dortmund will commence a player the extraordinary value corresponding, extremely its value and range. So far, Bayern Munich has not made an offer.

As a precaution, it is pointed out that with Mats Hummels - as at present with all other players from Borussia Dortmund - no exit clause has been agreed and the player is logically tied to June 30, 2017 Borussia Dortmund.

An ad hoc communication with gleichlautendem content has listed Borussia Dortmund GmbH & Co. KGaA sent a few minutes ago.

http://www.bvb.de/ger/News/Uebersicht/Mats-Hummels-moechte-BVB-verlassen

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Sad state of affairs in the Bundesliga.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Dortmund should really get "a no transfer to Bayern clause" in their players contracts, its ridiculous that Bayern can have their pick of their closest rival every season. Atletico have a similar clause regarding Real if I'm not mistaken.

rob316 wrote: »
    Dortmund should really get "a no transfer to Bayern clause" in their players contracts, its ridiculous that Bayern can have their pick of their closest rival every season. Atletico have a similar clause regarding Real if I'm not mistaken.

BVB esp need to do something as it's getting ridiculous how Munich can harvest the best of the rest with impunity. The nearest that I can think of in England would be when Arsenal allowed several players to go to City/Utd in quick succession but even there Van Persie was out of contract and the likes of Sagna, Clichy, Nasri were not "top level" players.

https://twitter.com/guardian_sport/status/728215781692059648

The mad money that will be offered for players this Summer has kicked off:

West Ham offer Marseille £31.5m for Michy Batshuayi.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

West Ham will be able to attract some major talent this summer especially with the new stadium and this seasons performance. Interesting times. I would love to see Lacazette in the PL next year and West Ham have been linked with him too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

huge bid by the hammers if true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,881 ✭✭✭✭klose

Gundogan out for 6 months so thats him staying put at dortmund for another season, city were linked with him and laporte with pep coming in but neither will be on the move now you would imagine.

https://twitter.com/TeleFootball/status/728664264630636544

Hatem Ben Arfa on his way to Barca,in fairness he's been doing great this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

zerks wrote:
    Hatem Ben Arfa on his way to Barca,in fairness he's been doing great this season.

Some turn around from him,barca dont have much cash it seems

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

No point in dropping tonnes of cash for someone who's unlikely to start many games (if any at all).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

No, wage bill is absolutely massive so expect some trimming of the fat while certain areas of the squad (centre back, striker, left back) are reinforced.

Not sure about this Ben Arfa move at all when Denis Suarez is an immense talent and available to the club on a relatively cheap price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

No, wage bill is absolutely massive so expect some trimming of the fat while certain areas of the squad (centre back, striker, left back) are reinforced.

Not sure about this Ben Arfa move at all when Denis Suarez is an immense talent and available to the club on a relatively cheap price.

How much is his buy back clause?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Johner wrote: »
    How much is his buy back clause?

I believe it's something like €8 million though that's rough estimate on my part it is very much in that ballpark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,634 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

klose wrote: »
    Gundogan out for 6 months so thats him staying put at dortmund for another season, city were linked with him and laporte with pep coming in but neither will be on the move now you would imagine.
    I thought that hom to liverpool was a done deal ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement