Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer Transfer Window - 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

But yet arsenals new signing should fit in great at the emirates , seems to have the DNA of a bottler built into him.

People in glasshouses...It takes a special kind of Liverpool fan to call another team bottlers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Come back when you've won the European Cup five times baby! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    People in glasshouses...It takes a special kind of Liverpool fan to call another team bottlers.

But see bottling is in the DNA of arsenal and it will be for some time to come

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

TheTownie wrote: »
    Shanghai SIPG have signed Hulk for €55M.

https://twitter.com/wildeastfootbal/status/747729577322156036

Ah that's insane. €55m! Wow.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

But yet arsenals new signing should fit in great at the emirates , seems to have the DNA of a bottler built into him.

Must try harder.

• Advertisement

• That is a pretty decent signing for Celtic

Dembele scored a good few goals last season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    That is a pretty decent signing for Celtic

Dembele scored a good few goals last season

A good player in a shambles of a squad. Certainly potential there anyway, smart move on the players behalf to get away from that circus of a club. Were it not for himself and McCormack, Fulham were in genuine danger of going down to league 1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Really surprised to see Dembele going to Celtic. That's a really good signing from Rodgers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Yeah he'd been close to joining Spurs before that, so from that and the limited bits I've seen of him, that's a bit of a coup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Man U have bid €42.5m for Mkhitaryan according to Kicker. Are they out of their minds? He's had 1 great year in Germany and is out of contract next summer.

It must be nice not having a budget.

• Advertisement

Mkhitaryan's transfer fee seems to be rising by the hour. I've seen up to about €48m mentioned with add ons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Emery joins PSG as their new manager. Should be interesting times there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Oat23 wrote: »
    Man U have bid €42.5m for Mkhitaryan according to Kicker. Are they out of their minds? He's had 1 great year in Germany and is out of contract next summer.

It must be nice not having a budget.

1 great year? Mmmmm k

One of the Dembele brothers has joined Celtic - just not sure which one! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Dwight gayle heading for Newcastle. Good signing for them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 344 ✭✭Kobe248

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    A good player in a shambles of a squad. Certainly potential there anyway, smart move on the players behalf to get away from that circus of a club. Were it not for himself and McCormack, Fulham were in genuine danger of going down to league 1.

Honestly surprised

Great signing at Celtic

They could make a handsome profit a few years down the line

Fulham could be ****ed

McCormack supposedly of to The Villa

MrMac84 wrote: »
    1 great year? Mmmmm k

He did have 1 great year. His finishing was dreadful the first two and he went missing a lot year 1.

He was great under Tuchel but €42.5m is way OTT, not that United care. Dortmund have done amazingly well to get what they have for Gündogan, Hummels and Mkhitaryan. Almost €110m for 3 players with a year left on their deals.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

He did have 1 great year. His finishing was dreadful the first two and he went missing a lot year 1.

I'd say that 13 goals and 10 assists was pretty damn good in his first season.

But by your own logic if he went missing at times in year one but doesn't anymore and was a poor finisher in the first 2 years, but isn't anymore, then that means he's improving season by season. Sounds good to me.
    He was great under Tuchel but €42.5m is way OTT
    When Palace are willing to pay £31m for Michy Batshuayi and Leicester were willing to pay £30m for Troy Deeney it's not even close to being OTT.

When Palace are willing to pay £31m for Michy Batshuayi and Leicester were willing to pay £30m for Troy Deeney it's not even close to being OTT.

Liverpool pay £34 for Mane. We pay £26.3 for Mkhitaryan.....

I know who got value for money there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Completely different situations but united have gotten a very very good player.

• Advertisement

What do Liverpool have to do with it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Everywhere in France reporting this now.. just took one of em

https://twitter.com/GFFN/status/747920096476147713

Liverpool are paying £30m for Mane and Utd are paying £35.2m for Mkhit
    Sport Witness @Sport_Witness

Mkh medical next as Man United submit €42.5m offer, board approval expected. http://sportwitness.co.uk/star-set-medical-man-united-submit-surprise-e42-5m-offer-board-approval-expected/ … via @sport_witness
    7:38 PM - 28 Jun 2016

News just in
    Mohamed Bouhafsi

@mohamedbouhafsi

Confirmation de l'info de l'Equipe. #Batshuayi c'est fait à #Chelsea pour 40 millions d'euros. Contrat de 5 ans. Visite Médicale demain !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Liverpool are paying £30m for Mane and Utd are paying £35.2m for Mkhit

News just in

Well it depends on who you listen to, Guardian are reporting bid up to 30m pounds for Mhkitaryan while reports in Germany are saying it is between 40-42m euro.. fair few places are saying that he is paying some of the fee himself (probably taking a lower wage)

It's the same for Mane, some places reporting 30m while others are reporting 34m rising to 36m or 38m..

More than likely that only the Clubs know the exact figures and the rest are guesswork.

Either way it is 2 good signings for the clubs so I really don't get the one-upmanship in this thread..

Sure, but I want to have a pop! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Its 2 good signings as it is for both clubs, 2 very different players and 2 different sets of circumstances explaining the fees. Both are overpaying but we are talking about 2 very rich clubs.
    Mkhitaryan is a cracking player, didn't seem to suit the constant press under Klopp but flourished under Tuchel.

I'd say that 13 goals and 10 assists was pretty damn good in his first season.
    But by your own logic if he went missing at times in year one but doesn't anymore and was a poor finisher in the first 2 years, but isn't anymore, then that means he's improving season by season. Sounds good to me.

You're missing the point. He had 1 year left on his deal and didn't want to play for Dortmund anymore. United had all the bargaining power they could want and they were still bent over and pounded by Dortmund.

The fee is way over the top, but in the EPL is doesn't seem to matter as long as you get the player. Mourinho probably desperately wants him as he will be a good fit in one of his teams.
    CSF wrote: »

Any way to get a dig in at Liverpool of course.

Are you suggesting Mkhitaryan is value for money at the price they are paying given the circumstances? Come on now.. :D

Mane is moving within the league, so obviously his price will be inflated.

CSF wrote: »

Dude relax comparing players who play in similar positions and what was paid for them is what the transfer thread is about its not about Liverpool grossly overpaying for Mane or United buying someone for x amount that could be got for free next year. Leave the club stuff for your own thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,908 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Come back when you've won the European Cup five times baby! :D

Apart from the win 11 years ago, how long is it since Liverpool won it? :D Or the league for that matter?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Team that bought the proven Premier league player?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Yea, the person that managed to get €42m from £26.3m STG got some value!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Wouldn't quotes in £ be guesses at best? The selling club is in the Eurozone, the transfer will be paid in Euros, not pounds sterling, so I'd be far more willing to believe sources from Germany quoting in euros than British tabloids quoting pounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

You're missing the point. He had 1 year left on his deal and didn't want to play for Dortmund anymore. United had all the bargaining power they could want and they were still bent over and pounded by Dortmund.

The fee is way over the top, but in the EPL is doesn't seem to matter as long as you get the player. Mourinho probably desperately wants him as he will be a good fit in one of his teams.

Dortmund have already sold 2 of their key players and for lower offer there is no way they would have sold him. Sometimes it's decision time, extra 10 million euros in the bank or sign the player to fill the gap in the first 11?

You have to overpay to tempt the selling club and we are not talking about some poor club in lower league.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

eagle eye wrote: »
    Team that bought the proven Premier league player?

Means absolutely nothing. Liverpool signed proven premier league players like Carroll, Benteke. ManUtd signed players like Fellaini, Mata.

On the other hand Leicester signed players like Kante and West Ham signed players like Payet who are both not proven premier league players. Same with City and United signing De Bruyne and Martial.

Every transfer is a risk as you never know whether players can make the step up and adapt to more pressure situation or perform in the same way or better in different set up.

• Brady to Leicester?

That's a great move it it goes ahead

• Advertisement

Brady to Leicester?

That's a great move it it goes ahead

Will he start?

• MrMac84 wrote: »
    Will he start?

Why not? He Could Challenge Fuchs for LB or play mid, I suppose it depends on who Leicester are going to lose this summer if they do lose anyone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Why not? He Could Challenge Fuchs for LB or play mid, I suppose it depends on who Leicester are going to lose this summer if they do lose anyone

I presume they are preparing for a much more demanding campaign this time around - minimum of 6 extra games with the CL, so they'll want to rotate slightly more.

They'd do very well to avoid injuries like last season again too so could be a few opportunities.

At left-back, it'd be him, Fuchs and Chilwell as it stands, and then the wide roles would be him, Mahrez, Albrighton and Gray - competition for sure, but not beyond reasonable to see him getting a good run.

My only worry would be that they wouldn't see him as a starter but a utility option and that he would be shunted around positions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Eran Zahavi to Guangzhou Evergrande.

Chilwell may yet end up at Liverpool remember.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Jeff Schlup around for left hand side at Leicester too though. But good move for Brady, reckon Albrighton is one of the first teamers that could be upgraded there

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Mec27

I wonder how much stock clubs put into major tournaments and signing players.

Mec27 wrote: »
    I wonder how much stock clubs put into major tournaments and signing players.

After Euro 96 Patrick Berger was signed to Liverpool on the back of his performances for Czech Republic. Karel Poborský went to Manchester United.

Liverpool signed El Hadji Diouf after WC 2002 but we'll not talk about that

Fair play to Brady, a good Euros has gotten him from being linked to last year's bottom team in the Premier League, to joining the top one. Hopefully Hendricks gets a move too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

After Euro 96 Patrick Berger was signed to Liverpool on the back of his performances for Czech Republic. Karel Poborský went to Manchester United.

Liverpool signed El Hadji Diouf after WC 2002 but we'll not talk about that

They had the Diouf deal done before the WC kicked off IIRC?

edit: I see wikipedia has it that the WC led to the signing, must have been rumblings about him beforehand as I remember looking out for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

keane2097 wrote: »

edit: I see wikipedia has it that the WC led to the signing, must have been rumblings about him beforehand as I remember looking out for him.

Himself and diao were done before,what a coup eh

Even worse than I thought!

Martin Skrtel to Fenerbahce is done for £5m, personal terms to be agreed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

keane2097 wrote: »

The deal was rushed through before the WC as far as I know, as Houllier was concerned his price would increase on the back of a good tournament. He was right tbf - Diouf had a good tournament and would likely have attracted interest from a few other sides.

Naturally, that would have been f*cking ideal for Liverpool but...

--

Big one after the last WC was James Rodriguez. A good player for sure, but no doubt his price and reputation inflated at the WC and he hasn't become as pivotal to Real's play as would have been hoped I'd say.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Mec27

The deal was rushed through before the WC as far as I know, as Houllier was concerned his price would increase on the back of a good tournament. He was right tbf - Diouf had a good tournament and would likely have attracted interest from a few other sides.

Naturally, that would have been f*cking ideal for Liverpool but...

--

Big one after the last WC was James Rodriguez. A good player for sure, but no doubt his price and reputation inflated at the WC and he hasn't become as pivotal to Real's play as would have been hoped I'd say.

Hahah the line ''move over Shakira'' raised his value by about 20 million.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Jack Byrne on loan to Blackburn confirmed.

https://twitter.com/Jackb_8/status/748119396539895808

• Advertisement
Advertisement