Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer Transfer Window - 2016

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Dortmund are pretty much guaranteed CL football every year yet he still fled to a club who'll double (at least) his wages. Tells me what he really wants at 27 (which is fair enough if money is important). Man Utd's chances are being reduced the PL becomes compressed by the flood of money and talent (a brave person would predict next May's top 4 now)

He can get double the wages while playing in a more competitive league. Fair play to him, good career move imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Not sure if serious, Benfica, Porto are also pretty much guaranteed CL every season with added bonus of having actual shot of winning league, that doesn't mean players stay there. If United chances at PL titles is reduced then Dortmund's is very much non existent with how strong Bayern are and how Dortmund loses key players every season.

For every player money is important, anyone who thinks otherwise is deluding themselves (not having go at you btw). Messi negotiates contract every season, Neymar just signed bumper contract using PSG's interest, Mane signed for club that finished below them.

CL factor is overplayed a lot. Players don't want to just play in CL, they want to win it. Otherwise players would be playing for Benfica, Basel and so on.

I think Harry is tight though. Next season's Top 4 would be very hard to call now. If even 1/4 of the links happen they will be some serious improvement in the majority of teams next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Dortmund are pretty much guaranteed CL football every year yet he still fled to a club who'll double (at least) his wages. Tells me what he really wants at 27 (which is fair enough if money is important). Man Utd's chances are being reduced the PL becomes compressed by the flood of money and talent (a brave person would predict next May's top 4 now)

Come on Harry, he's moving to one of the four biggest clubs in the world that has far more resources at it's disposal and thus a bigger potential over the coming years whilst leaving a club that sells it's best players every season (3 this Summer already).

Of course he's also going to benefit financially but lets not play dumb and pretend it's the only factor at play here. He's joining a very exciting project in a very competitive league as well as boosting his bank balance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

astradave wrote: »
    IIRC he was the Players player of the year.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/36433443

Says it's voted by the players union, which I assume is the players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Blatter wrote: »
    Come on Harry, he's moving to one of the four biggest clubs in the world that has far more resources at it's disposal and thus a bigger potential over the coming years whilst leaving a club that sells it's best players every season (3 this Summer already).

Of course he's also going to benefit financially but lets not play dumb and pretend it's the only factor at play here. He's joining a very exciting project in a very competitive league as well as boosting his bank balance.

No, that's not how it works.

When a player joins the modern day United its for money and money only.

If other clubs weren't poor as church mice they would be able to sign these players too.

Because its only about money.

Couldn't possibly be about anything else when it comes to United.

Nosireebob.

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

emmetkenny wrote: »
    I think Harry is tight though. Next season's Top 4 would be very hard to call now. If even 1/4 of the links happen they will be some serious improvement in the majority of teams next year.

If that's how every player thinks then no one will sign for PL teams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Would you say the same about a player who leaves Celtic for Liverpool?

The reality is, CL or not, a move from BVB to United is career progression for a footballer. United aren't in the CL this season, but they're one of the four biggest clubs in the world. It's only a matter of time before they're back in it. BVB have a ceiling that United don't.

Given the strength of Bayern coupled with the unpredictability of the English league and likelihood of United returning to the CL shortly, I'd say his chances of winning a league title or Champions League have increased with this move

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    If that's how every player thinks then no one will sign for PL teams.

How every player thinks about what?

I just said I think Harry is right saying it's going to be very hard to call the Top 4 for next season now, especially with the calibre of player linked with midtable teams which will obviously improve them a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

emmetkenny wrote: »
    How every player thinks about what?

I just said I think Harry is right saying it's going to be very hard to call the Top 4 for next season now, especially with the calibre of player linked with midtable teams which will obviously improve them a lot.

If players think ManUtd chances are reduced because of players linked with other clubs then the other club players also thinks the same.

If players stop moving to PL because they think the club they want to move have less chance of winning league then no player will move to teams in PL.

I don't know where we are going with this but like someone said moving from Dortmund to ManUtd is career progression and obviously wages helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Ouch!
    "After intensive discussions, BVB has complied to the wish of the Armenian national team member; to join the fifth-place English team last season, Manchester United, for the new season.

“Borussia Dortmund wishes Henrikh Mkhitaryan all the best for the coming season in both the Premier League and in the Uefa Europa League,” the statement adds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭DaveSuarez

I remember when he rejected Liverpool to play in the Champions League, wonder why he isn't that bothered any more....

It's our own fault, we could of blown BVB out of the water in terms of wages but didn't. Another one that we let get away.

Brilliant signing for United the bastards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Mata heading for Everton?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Ouch!

If I was them I'd be just as bitter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Texas Jack wrote: »
    Newcastle spunking £25 million on Matt Ritchie and Dwight Gayle.

Absolute farce these parachute payments

The PL is a rich man's party - even the guests who are f*cked out get a goodie bag at the door - every other sap is looking in the window in the pouring rain.

I like Ritchie a lot but he'll be on £55,000 a week at Newcastle per The Telegraph and others, almost double what he was on at Bournemouth. I suspect Gayle will have a good season at that level but be a player they'll need to improve on when they come up. The guts of £25m on those two players and that sort of money on wages. Obscene money for a Championship side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,055 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Question for everyone.

Do we think certain players might still move for crazy money this summer, despite being less than great looking at the Euro's so far?

I thinking mainly of Hazard (who apparently Madrid are prepared to 'break the bank for') and Pogba. Performances of both wouldn;t have me coughing out any big money for them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 344 ✭✭Kobe248

NIMAN wrote: »
    Question for everyone.

Do we think certain players might still move for crazy money this summer, despite being less than great looking at the Euro's so far?

I thinking mainly of Hazard (who apparently Madrid are prepared to 'break the bank for') and Pogba. Performances of both wouldn;t have me coughing out any big money for them.

Yes

How they fare over a 4/5 game period isnt going to affect the standard they have show for a couple of seasons

If anything it might get the Wales/Iceland players so extra scratch

NIMAN wrote: »
    Question for everyone.

Can you see it affecting transfers. The price perhaps but not the transfers

• Dortmund fans also seem to have been chewing hard on the lemons. Love it!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Good signing for PSG. I expect them to go in strong for someone like Higuain now.
    Dortmund got good money for 3 players with 1 year left and despite that Mor, Guerreiro & Dembele are all really good signings for a combined €35m. Actually means more as Dortmund are like Sevilla & few other sides cause they can actually develop those players. Reus, Aubameyang & Weigl are still there now too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Emery is going to give himself massive headaches if he's moving Verratti or Matuidi to accommodate Krychowiak. Seems like a needless signing considering both Verratti and Matuidi play much better in Krychowiak's position and they also already have Rabiot, Motta and David Luiz who can play there.

If I was a PSG fan I would be hoping for another creative midfielder, a winger and a striker. Although maybe this is more of a reaction to Verratti and Matuidi missing their big CL ties this year against City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭klose

It'll be a midfield 3 of krykowiak sitting and matuidi and veratti in front id imagine.

klose wrote: »
    It'll be a midfield 3 of krykowiak sitting and matuidi and veratti in front id imagine.

Can't see them sticking to the same system again this year. A midfield three means you're just continuing on what Blanc was doing with PSG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Benatia to Juve for 18m. Great business if he stays fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Mata linked to Everton for £21 million.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Dortmund fans also seem to have been chewing hard on the lemons. Love it!

Where are these fans exactly? Most I've seen are delighted to get that much money for a player leaving on a free next year.

These lads have been watching him every game for 3 seasons. They know how lucky they are to get €42m. He was their record signing and a bust after his first 2 years.

The only ones bitter I can think of are the fans who might be upset with him for acting they way he did after one good season. The club never lost faith in him after his first two, then he wants out after one good year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Oat23 wrote: »
    Where are these fans exactly? Most I've seen are delighted to get that much money for a player leaving on a free next year.

These lads have been watching him every game for 3 seasons. They know how lucky they are to get €42m. He was their record signing and a bust after his first 2 years.

It's a good price but they could hardly be happy that he's leaving after the season he has just had. There has to be a bitterness watching all your top players up and leave every season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Johner wrote: »
    Mata linked to Everton for £21 million.

Good signing if it happens but does nothing to address their defensive frailities. Scoring/Creating chances isnt a problem for them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

I think PSG might sell Matuidi now. Which would be a mistake.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Dempsey wrote: »
    Good signing if it happens but does nothing to address their defensive frailities. Scoring/Creating chances isnt a problem for them

Tbf getting rid of Martinez will go some way towards addressing defensive frailties.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

It's a good price but they could hardly be happy that he's leaving after the season he has just had. There has to be a bitterness watching all your top players up and leave every season.

Mkhitaryan wants to leave.
    Fans disappointed.
    Watzke announces he will stay and leave free next year.
    Fans annoyed they are going to lose him on a free next year.
    Moves to United. BVB get €42m. Fans disappointed in players attitude but happy to get such a large fee.

Not hard to understand really.

Watzke played a blinder. Despite what he was saying 3 weeks ago, there's no way he would have wanted to keep a player with the attitude he had. His agent bad mouthed him in the press and Mkhitaryan already made it clear he would not play for Dortmund anymore by giving notice on his rented apartment before the last Bundesliga season even ended. His focus had already left Dortmund long before the summer even began.

I would happily take €42m for my best player on the first day of the transfer window in those circumstances.

Would be skeptical of players with Raiolo as there agent. You could never trust when or what they might do to leave the club.

Mkhitaryan wants to leave.
    Fans disappointed.
    Watzke announces he will stay and leave free next year.
    Fans annoyed they are going to lose him on a free next year.
    Moves to United. BVB get €42m. Fans disappointed in players attitude but happy to get such a large fee.

Not hard to understand really.

Watzke played a blinder. Despite what he was saying 3 weeks ago, there's no way he would have wanted to keep a player with the attitude he had. His agent bad mouthed him in the press and Mkhitaryan already made it clear he would not play for Dortmund anymore by giving notice on his rented apartment before the last Bundesliga season even ended. His focus had already left Dortmund long before the summer even began.

I would happily take €42m for my best player on the first day of the transfer window in those circumstances.

It's the fact they are in those circumstances yet again that will have them bitter. You're focusing on the price and that he's already going. I've already said it's a good price. Not that hard to understand really.

It's the fact they are in those circumstances yet again that will have them bitter. You're focusing on the price and that he's already going. I've already said it's a good price. Not that hard to understand really.

If Mkhitaryan and his agent had kept their mouth shut in public and acted professionally I can definitely see fans being a lot more upset about it. But after the way they were acting they should be happy to get such a deal, and are. United fans seem to think they are bitter over losing him which is why they are reacting the way they are. But maybe it's because he has been acting like a c*nt? I wonder where BILD got their info that that article that featured texts between Tuchel & Mkhitaryan?

He was never taken in by the fans the same way others were. He cost a lot of money and never showed he was worth it until this past season. I've never felt the relationship between he and the fans was anything similar to how they felt about Hummels, Lewandowski, Kagawa etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Why do you care if Dormunds fans are bitter about it or not?

Some people here seem to be getting as much joy out of there fans apparently being bitter about him leaving as they are with the prospect of Mhkitaryian playing for Man Utd

• Advertisement

Some people here seem to be getting as much joy out of there fans apparently being bitter about him leaving as they are with the prospect of Mhkitaryian playing for Man Utd

They really do.

Actually wrote that in my post above but then erased it as I wasn't arsed dealing with a swarm of United fans.

Couldn't give a flying f*ck if they are or not. I seen a post that hinted at them being happy about getting rid of a player that had a hand in 50 goals last season and replied. That OK with you?

Spot on. It's very strange but not entirely shocking

Some people here really struggle with reading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

If Mkhitaryan and his agent had kept their mouth shut in public and acted professionally I can definitely see fans being a lot more upset about it. But after the way they were acting they should be happy to get such a deal, and are. United fans seem to think they are bitter over losing him which is why they are reacting the way they are. But maybe it's because he has been acting like a c*nt? I wonder where BILD got their info that that article that featured texts between Tuchel & Mkhitaryan?

He was never taken in by the fans the same way others were. He cost a lot of money and never showed he was worth it until this past season. I've never felt the relationship between he and the fans was anything similar to how they felt about Hummels, Lewandowski, Kagawa etc.

Tbf to United fans, by and large it's their default position when a player/manager of theirs is questioned. Every time I open that thread there seems to be a picture of that Simpsons fella eating a lemon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Worked out well with RVP and Arsenal fans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

LiamoSail wrote: »
    Tbf to United fans, by and large it's their default position when a player/manager of theirs is questioned. Every time I open that thread there seems to be a picture of that Simpsons fella eating a lemon.

Up there with the most annoying things to happen with and the sort of thing there's no point in reporting because it doesn't strictly break anything on the charter so they won't deal with it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 344 ✭✭Kobe248

Couldn't give a flying f*ck if they are or not. I seen a post that hinted at them being happy about getting rid of a player that had a hand in 50 goals last season and replied. That OK with you?

Once he wanted to leave and they were getting a massive sum for a player in that situation with a year left on his contract

Off course they were happy for him to go

Just because a player has a good season doesnt always mean the fans will be to disappointed to see him leave

Especially when they previously lost Lewa to Bayern

The only ones bitter I can think of are the fans who might be upset with him for acting they way he did after one good season. The club never lost faith in him after his first two, then he wants out after one good year.

Dortmund bought him and Klopp couldn't use him properly. He was their best player last season and was good the season before. A lot of fans wanted to keep him and let him walk next summer.

Outside of Bayern, Manchester United is a step up for the majority of Bundesliga players. Some fans seem to be pretty bothered by that. All you have to do is look at Dortmund's statement. They come across as petty but they're the über hipster club so they get away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

In actual transfer news PSG have signed the Belgium right back Thomas Meunier from Club Brugge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

glued wrote: »
    Dortmund bought him and Klopp couldn't use him properly. He was their best player last season and was good the season before. A lot of fans wanted to keep him and let him walk next summer.

Outside of Bayern, Manchester United is a step up for the majority of Bundesliga players. Some fans seem to be pretty bothered by that. All you have to do is look at Dortmund's statement. They come across as petty but they're the über hipster club so they get away with it.

Or they come across as smug by pointing out he's leaving a champions league team for a Europa League team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

ERG89 wrote: »
    In actual transfer news PSG have signed the Belgium right back Thomas Meunier from Club Brugge

I suppose it is an upgrade compared to Van der Wiel.
    But so would i.

Just to be clear. I have absolutely nothing against Dortmund fans and don't care if they are bitter about the transfer or not. I was merely stating that I don't believe they are happy with losing another of their better players. Bitter and salty seem to be the buzzwords around here, I was just making use of them. Substitute it with 'disappointed' if it makes you feel any better.

[QUOTE=glued;100240947]Dortmund bought him and Klopp couldn't use him properly. He was their best player last season and was good the season before. A lot of fans wanted to keep him and let him walk next summer.

Outside of Bayern, Manchester United is a step up for the majority of Bundesliga players. Some fans seem to be pretty bothered by that. All you have to do is look at Dortmund's statement. They come across as petty but they're the über hipster club so they get away with it.[/QUOTE]
    Not Klopp's fault his end product was terrible during the 14/15 season.
    He was superb last season no doubt though. It's obvious Dembele & Mor were bought knowing Mkhitaryan was leaving.

But Dortmund played along with the rumours that Mkhitaryan could stay like Lewandowski to drive his price up. €42m is a good deal with only 1 year left.

Man Utd is a step up in terms of wages compared to Dortmund not when it comes to a football choice.

glued wrote: »

Spoken like someone who has rarely seen him play.

Mkhitaryan's problem the first two years had very little to do with Klopp's utilization of him and more the fact he couldn't hit a barn door. He could have been very influential had he not been so awful in front of goal.

His second season was also, by far, his worst season at Dortmund and maybe even his worst as a professional footballer. I have no idea why you think he did well.

What Dortmund fan wanted to turn down €42m for him by the way? They wanted to keep a player who did not want to play for them instead of accepting a record breaking transfer offer? Ridiculous.

• Advertisement
Advertisement