Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer Transfer Window - 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Bayern have signed Renato Sanchez €35m (+€45m add ons) & Hummels for €38m.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

ooooooh! Hummels was expected of course but wasn't Renato on his way to Man Utd for about twice that fee?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,796 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

No, wage bill is absolutely massive so expect some trimming of the fat while certain areas of the squad (centre back, striker, left back) are reinforced.

Not sure about this Ben Arfa move at all when Denis Suarez is an immense talent and available to the club on a relatively cheap price.
    Trimming fat? If you end up buying Ben Arfa it's more likely you'll be adding fat :pac:

ben-arfa-2.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Bit of a dickish, Gotze style move from Hummels to announce this just before the cup final. Could hardly trust him to play in that now

• ooooooh! Hummels was expected of course but wasn't Renato on his way to Man Utd for about twice that fee?

Source? Official bid?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,360 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Bayern continue to just steamroll their biggest competition by just buying their best players.

The league is fast becoming a farce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Johner wrote: »

There was a time I'd have taken him at Chelsea if the price was right but hes already on massive wages and wouldnt be a starter every week so its a bit of a moot point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

GavRedKing wrote: »
    There was a time I'd have taken him at Chelsea if the price was right but hes already on massive wages and wouldnt be a starter every week so its a bit of a moot point.

Same, although I do think he needs a fresh start and could definitely come back to form at somewhere like West Ham. Although injuries could prevent that.

• Advertisement

Johner wrote: »
    Same, although I do think he needs a fresh start and could definitely come back to form at somewhere like West Ham. Although injuries could prevent that.

Ya, if he wasnt made of a Weetabix and was willing to play 2nd fiddle to Costa and rotate with Traore, I'd take him.

Although, if we off loaded Oscar, Kenedy, Pedro or Willian, theres space for him on the flanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Although, if we off loaded Oscar, Kenedy, Pedro or Willian, theres space for him on the flanks.

All players that are better than him or have far better potential than he has. He has been pathetic lately, has a great game once every 6 months.

The sooner we're rid of him and his ridiculous wages the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

SlickRic wrote: »
    Bayern continue to just steamroll their biggest competition by just buying their best players.

The league is fast becoming a farce.

Need a few oil sheikhs to takeover clubs in the Bundesliga. It's absolute farce how much power Bayern has financially compared to everyone else. At least in La Liga has two financially elite teams. I know Hertha and Berlin in general is pretty fragmented in terms of fanbase but if I was a billionaire that's where I'd try to invest in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Need a few oil sheikhs to takeover clubs in the Bundesliga. It's absolute farce how much power Bayern has financially compared to everyone else. At least in La Liga has two financially elite teams. I know Hertha and Berlin in general is pretty fragmented in terms of fanbase but if I was a billionaire that's where I'd try to invest in.

A rich foreigner cannot take over a Bundesliga club, thankfully.

Trying to match Bayern is not the be all end all. I and most others are happy with the way things are at our clubs and the last thing we want is to become some middle eastern guy's plaything.

The 50+1 rule will fall eventually and it will be a sad day for German football when the league becomes infested with corrupt billionaires from Russia, Qatar and Thailand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Gotze, Lewandowski and now Hummels its an absolute farce. I said it before Dortmund should be able to get their players to sign clauses in their contracts that state they cant directly move to Bayern.

Its a huge fee Dortmund have gotten though for a centre back that I really don't see how the hype is justified around him. Great with the ball at his feet though mind you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Yeah Hertha are ripe for some success, although I'd prefer it to come naturally. They're doing pretty well this season actually, the fanbase is there and they're the only decent club in Berlin.

Stadium is magnificent, easily the best I've been to in Europe.

• Advertisement

rob316 wrote: »
    Gotze, Lewandowski and now Hummels its an absolute farce. I said it before Dortmund should be able to get their players to sign clauses in their contracts that state they cant directly move to Bayern.

Its a huge fee Dortmund have gotten though for a centre back that I really don't see how the hype is justified around him. Great with the ball at his feet though mind you.

What Bayern are doing to BVB is no different to what BVB do to other clubs though. Bayern sign BVB's best player, BVB sign someone else's best player etc etc

Money talks, and unfortunately for BVB in this particular equation they find themselves on the less than side. No different to Liverpool signing Southampton's best players only for Barca to sign Liverpool's best.

I do however think that for a player to go to a direct rival like that is poor form, but to sign and announce it on the eve of a Cup Fianl against their new employers is completely wrong. Hummels, just like Gotze before him has just given a massive two fingers to BVB

the fanbase is there and they're the only decent club in Berlin.

Don't let Jelle1880 hear you say that. Union are from Berlin

Yeah Hertha are ripe for some success, although I'd prefer it to come naturally. They're doing pretty well this season actually, the fanbase is there and they're the only decent club in Berlin.

Union Berlin??? Decent ground too, was at the first game in it two or three years back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Shouldn't everyone just wait & see who Dortmund buys? Bayern have way overspent on a talented 18 year old. Also
    Ousmane Dembele a genuine amazing prospect looks likely to join Dortmund for possibly half Sanchez's fee including add ons.

Getting €38m for Hummels in his last year is great business . Overated defender who will be left exposed at Bayern with how many players they push forward. Plus Bayern have Robben,Alonso,Ribery & Lahm all reaching the end of there career's.
    I think Dortmund will push Bayern very very close next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Apparently Arsenal have offered Arteta a coaching role. Wonder whether he'll stay or choose Pep's North West project?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

Could be leaving it soon enough,the rent for the Olympiastadion could be doubling and Hertha are looking at sites for a new stadium.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Oat23 wrote: »
    Don't let Jelle1880 hear you say that. Union are from Berlin

Oh yeah, for some reason I always blank on them or somehow confuse them with 1860 Munich :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

A rich foreigner cannot take over a Bundesliga club, thankfully.

Trying to match Bayern is not the be all end all. I and most others are happy with the way things are at our clubs and the last thing we want is to become some middle eastern guy's plaything.

The 50+1 rule will fall eventually and it will be a sad day for German football when the league becomes infested with corrupt billionaires from Russia, Qatar and Thailand.

But is the 50+1 rule (although very admirable and the proper model for running the sport) not holding back all the other teams in the league and resulting in an un-competitive league at the top end.

It's not beyond the realm of possibility that Bayern could win 6 ,7 or maybe 8 league titles in a row the way things are going.

There are so many sleeping giant clubs in Germany right now that should be doing a hell of a lot better but maybe need some extra help to get the closer to Bayern. I'm sure they don't want to risk bankrupting themselves and end up like Dortmund were 10 years ago.Are the the clubs and fans in Germany happy to just turn up and accept they won't be able to compete with Bayern.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Ya, if he wasnt made of a Weetabix and was willing to play 2nd fiddle to Costa and rotate with Traore, I'd take him.

Are you saying you would replace Oscar, Pedro or Willian with Walcott?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

But is the 50+1 rule (although very admirable and the proper model for running the sport) not holding back all the other teams in the league and resulting in an un-competitive league at the top end.

It's not beyond the realm of possibility that Bayern could win 6 ,7 or maybe 8 league titles in a row the way things are going.

There are so many sleeping giant clubs in Germany right now that should be doing a hell of a lot better but maybe need some extra help to get the closer to Bayern. I'm sure they don't want to risk bankrupting themselves and end up like Dortmund were 10 years ago.Are the the clubs and fans in Germany happy to just turn up and accept they won't be able to compete with Bayern.

Ye pretty much everyone who isn't a Bayern fan hates them in Germany. With a little admiration thrown in here and there but for the most part everyone just hates them.
    I used to hate them myself but I can't help but admire them for what they are and how they got there. They are such a solid operation and have been for decades. But while them dominating the league is obviously not great they have done a lot for German football. And they've always been towering over the league, Bayern matches were always special matches for everyone. And I think its actually not bad at all for a league to have a standout team. Just not to this extent. 4 in a row is pretty hefty. But they'll be reeled in. :)

Boskowski wrote: »
    Ye pretty much everyone who isn't a Bayern fan hates them in Germany. With a little admiration thrown in here and there but for the most part everyone just hates them.
    I used to hate them myself but I can't help but admire them for what they are and how they got there. They are such a solid operation and have been for decades. But while them dominating the league is obviously not great they have done a lot for German football. And they've always been towering over the league, Bayern matches were always special matches for everyone. And I think its actually not bad at all for a league to have a standout team. Just not to this extent. 4 in a row is pretty hefty. But they'll be reeled in. :)

I have great admiration for them myself as they are probably the best run sports organisation in the world but I do wonder are they doing themselves harm by constantly picking on their biggest rivals players. I think they'd be far better off to not buy from the other major teams in Germany and allow them to grow and put in a better challenge domestically, it must be getting boring for their Bayerns fans at this stage.

Boskowski wrote: »
    Are you saying you would replace Oscar, Pedro or Willian with Walcott?

No im saying we'd have to lose one of our support players before we'd think of signing anyone.

The answer is not to sell out to the first shiekh that comes along. Fans of German clubs value different things I guess. I have no interest in supporting a team owned by some random fella who is either 1) bored and looking for a toy or 2) looking to make money. My team is my team, it doesn't belong to some Arab guy. Myself and my fellow fans own a majority share and we don't have to worry about the club going in a direction we don't want it to. Newcastle is a good example. Horribly run by a goon. The fans are unbelievable and love that club to death, but their hands are tied because they have no power. Nightmare stuff for fans of German teams. If we aren't happy we can change things.

A German can explain it better, but they look at the game differently there. The sport culture is different to elsewhere. Teams are still 100% part of the community. They don't look at clubs as a business. Their enjoyment and passion is not based on success. Most teams started out as 'Vereins' (Unions) back in the late 1800s and early 1900s. They have traditions that even today fans uphold. They weren't set up to make money.

Dynamo Dresden are in the 3.liga, 1 tier above the amateur leagues, and averaging 27,000 fans this season. They averaged the same when in the 2.BL. Nobody at that stadium is hoping someone comes along and invests a shedload of cash to bring them to the Bundesliga. It's their team. They love it and they will show up every week even if they end up in the Oberliga. They obviously hope they can build and return to the levels they were at in the 70s, but they don't want success bad enough to throw away their tradition and hand their club over to someone else.

td;dr Success and competing with Bayern are not what is important to fans.

Fine by me. As long as Leipzig don't win the league!

The answer is not to sell out to the first shiekh that comes along. Fans of German clubs value different things I guess. I have no interest in supporting a team owned by some random fella who is either 1) bored and looking for a toy or 2) looking to make money. My team is my team, it doesn't belong to some Arab guy. Myself and my fellow fans own a majority share and we don't have to worry about the club going in a direction we don't want it to. Newcastle is a good example. Horribly run by a goon. The fans are unbelievable and love that club to death, but their hands are tied because they have no power. Nightmare stuff for fans of German teams. If we aren't happy we can change things.

A German can explain it better, but they look at the game differently there. The sport culture is different to elsewhere. Teams are still 100% part of the community. They don't look at clubs as a business. Their enjoyment and passion is not based on success. Most teams started out as 'Vereins' (Unions) back in the late 1800s and early 1900s. They have traditions that even today fans uphold. They weren't set up to make money.

Dynamo Dresden are in the 3.liga, 1 tier above the amateur leagues, and averaging 27,000 fans this season. They averaged the same when in the 2.BL. Nobody at that stadium is hoping someone comes along and invests a shedload of cash to bring them to the Bundesliga. It's their team. They love it and they will show up every week even if they end up in the Oberliga. They obviously hope they can build and return to the levels they were at in the 70s, but they don't want success bad enough to throw away their tradition and hand their club over to someone else.

td;dr Success and competing with Bayern are not what is important to fans.

Fine by me. As long as Leipzig don't win the league!

Surely the other clubs need to get better sponsorship arrangements with German firms like Bayern are able to get with Audi and Addidas or even take a little more of a risk in the transfer market every now and then and not bend over as soon as Bayern want to buy one of their players.

I just can't understand how Hertha have never been any good when Berlin has a population of 5 million and Hamburg have been mediocre for 25 years or more when it's the second biggest city in Germany and is a club with a great history of success.

"Sponsorship".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Pochetino to be next united manager, Koeman to be next spurs manager, Pochetino to be future real madrid manager with Koeman taking over at united with the southampton manager taking over at spurs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

De Boer has just left Ajax

Everton sack Martinez

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

I have great admiration for them myself as they are probably the best run sports organisation in the world but I do wonder are they doing themselves harm by constantly picking on their biggest rivals players. I think they'd be far better off to not buy from the other major teams in Germany and allow them to grow and put in a better challenge domestically, it must be getting boring for their Bayerns fans at this stage.
    nope, nothing boring about supporting Bayern when they consistently get to champions league semi finals or finals (in comparison man city managed that once for the billions they spent in the last decade)
    For league games, its either 5-0 entertaining stuff, or a hard won 1-0. Both scenarios have their positives.
    BTW, league games had ticket applications of between 125,000 and 220,000 applications per game, for a mere 15,000 tickets that arent season or fan club tickets, so yea, lots of fans there taking the hump with Bayerns "boring" tendency to win.

Back to transfer chat, its frustrating that Bayern keep picking off the best players from league rivals and the Götze one is particularly shabby (equally as shabby as him turning up like a Diva for his first press conference with a massive Nike baseball hat, to a club now part owned by Adidas, the muppet) which turned out to be more of a benefit accrued by him not playing for Dortmund than being a positive contributor to Bayern.

Rumours now seem to be that he'll be on the way to Anfield. Ancelotti says he will be no more than a super sub next season running down the last year of his contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DubDani

Bundesliga Clubs seem to get their business done early. Dortmund have confirmed the signing of 18 year old Dembele from Rennes on a 5 year contract.

Fee rumored to be around 15 mil Euro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

DubDani wrote: »
    Bundesliga Clubs seem to get their business done early. Dortmund have confirmed the signing of 18 year old Dembele from Rennes on a 5 year contract.

Fee rumored to be around 15 mil Euro.

Very bright talent ! Turned down Leicester last week apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Bayern fans may aswell start scouting him now. Once Champions League is confirmed next week I'm eager to see how Monchengladbach treat the summer window now. Last year was an absolute failure (f*cking Drmic replacing Kruse) so hopefully this summer can be better to finally nail down that Champions League spot permanently that looked to be gone this year until Schubert turned it around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Ibrahimovic definitely leaving PSG.

Let the rumours begin......

Today FM just reported that Zlatan is off to LA Galaxy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Today FM just reported that Zlatan is off to LA Galaxy

Would be a waste even though he's getting on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

Corholio wrote: »
    Would be a waste even though he's getting on.

Not much more he can achieve. England the only real frontier left to conquer and he's left it too late to do that. Good decision by him imo. Wouldn't make Bayern and thus wouldn't win the Bundesliga.

Not much more he can achieve. England the only real frontier left to conquer and he's left it too late to do that. Good decision by him imo.

He doesn't really have to 'conquer' it though. Of course it's a good move for him but would be disappointing to see another good player vanish off the football radar when he could still be great to watch at this level.

He has nothing to prove. England or LA. Tough choice that!

Of course he doesn't and as I said it's a good move for him, even if he did finish in the French league which seems a bit unfitting for the career that came before. Just disappointing as a football fan to see him leave Europe.

Corholio wrote: »
    Of course he doesn't and as I said it's a good move for him, even if he did finish in the French league which seems a bit unfitting for the career that came before. Just disappointing as a football fan to see him leave Europe.

Yeah agree with your last sentence for sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

The Americans will absolutely eat up his antics though so you'd never know what could come after his final season....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,881 ✭✭✭✭klose

Nordviedt joining West Ham from borussia in June first on a free, was well known for a while but it's confirmed now. Another good signing for them.

Piotr zielinski photod in a Liverpool shirt and that deal due to be confirmed by the end of the week if you are to believe be papers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Ever Banega has joined Inter on a free from Sevilla.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,910 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

You can kind of spout that for English Weather vs. Spanish, but, man, LA is a dump, and the weather's great if you want to spend all your time in air conditioning. If he goes to LA it will be for the money, rather than the sophisticated atmosphere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

West Ham have just had a combined £25m bid for Callum Wilson and Matt Ritchie rejected by Bournemouth. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

West Ham are also after Lacazette and or that other French bloke and Benteke.

• Advertisement
Advertisement