Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer Transfer Window - 2016

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

LiamoSail wrote: »
    Tbf to United fans, by and large it's their default position when a player/manager of theirs is questioned. Every time I open that thread there seems to be a picture of that Simpsons fella eating a lemon.

Hyperbole and generalisations... Good combination!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Mata would be a great buy for everton but the man really has made bad moves in his career

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

ricero wrote: »
    Mata would be a great buy for everton but the man really has made bad moves in his career

Yeah. Only won the league and Champions League at Chelsea and moved to the biggest club in the country as current PL title holders. He should have set his sights a lot higher...

Not consistent enough.

Mourinhio had him sussed fairly early on at Chelsea. Be shocked if he's kept.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Yeah. Only won the league and Champions League at Chelsea and moved to the biggest club in the country as current PL title holders. He should have set his sights a lot higher...

His career stalled at man utd imo. In fairness he was a moyes signing and was under appreciated by lvg. Everton is a bad move for him, i think he could easily go to a champions league club

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

I don't think he's made bad moves, he's just unlucky Mourinho keeps following him around the place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Everton could be a great move for Mata .

He'll get to be the star man that everything is played through and get to play down the middle.

His career stalled at man utd imo. In fairness he was a moyes signing and was under appreciated by lvg. Everton is a bad move for him, i think he could easily go to a champions league club

Well then say that if he goes to Everton he'll be making a bad move not that he's made bad moves throughout his career which is just bull.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Rock77

Oat23 wrote:
    What Dortmund fan wanted to turn down €42m for him by the way? They wanted to keep a player who did not want to play for them instead of accepting a record breaking transfer offer? Ridiculous.

I've never seen this guy play, hope he's brilliant!

I have to disagree with this point though.
    Ronaldo wanted to play for Madrid and I was delighted we convinced him to stay one more year, I realise we still got a huge fee for him and Dortmund wouldn't for HM.
    Once the club is doing well financially I don't really care if we pay 100 million or 2 million once the player is brilliant.

If my team consistently sells our best players I'm annoyed, I don't care how much we get for them.

• Advertisement

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Not consistent enough.

Mourinhio had him sussed fairly early on at Chelsea. Be shocked if he's kept.

Averaged a goal every 4 games for Valencia, Chelsea and United but yeah, not consistent at all.
    Player of the year at Chelsea for 2 years running. How is it even possible to do that without being consistent?
    You read some sh*te on this forum...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

If West Ham keep hold of Payet this summer that will be the best bit of business this transfer window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Averaged a goal every 4 games for Valencia, Chelsea and United but yeah, not consistent at all.
    Player of the year at Chelsea for 2 years running. How is it even possible to do that without being consistent?

He suited Chelsea. He hasn't been consistent for United. You can't just say he scored 10 goals each season so that makes him consistent. He had some woeful games for United and some good games. I wouldn't say I've ever seen him boss a game or look a constant threat to the opposition while he has been at United. He's lightweight and slow and I don't see what all the fuss is about. He's like a 38 year old Paul Scholes except he's 28!

I probably should have said at a high level tbf.

Mourinhio got rid fairly swiftly. Seen utd coming with over 40m.

If West Ham keep hold of Payet this summer that will be the best bit of business this transfer window.

Worth a small fortune now alright

He suited Chelsea. He hasn't been consistent for United. You can't just say he scored 10 goals each season so that makes him consistent. He had some woeful games for United and some good games. I wouldn't say I've ever seen him boss a game or look a constant threat to the opposition while he has been at United. He's lightweight and slow and I don't see what all the fuss is about. He's like a 38 year old Paul Scholes except he's 28!

Yeah well the other poster was bizarrely including his time at Chelsea... But sure he's making up his own transfer fees and all now.
    He's not a player that will boss a game, he won't drag you across the line on his own but if you've got a good side, playing good football he knits it all together nicely. United have been fairly sh*te the last few years so the fact that he's still kept up that goal ratio is at least something.

He's scored and played well in a lot of big games for United, no coincidence that United had a decent record with good performances in the bigger fixtures.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    I probably should have said at a high level tbf.

Mourinhio got rid fairly swiftly. Seen utd coming with over 40m.

He was their best player when they won the Champions League. There's no higher level.

He was their best player when they won the Champions League. There's no higher level.

Backtracking inbound...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Guardiola got rid of Zlatan fairly quickly, a nothing player to be fair

Mata is just unlucky that Mourinho has followed him to two clubs and he doesn't fit into the system played

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Pim Pictus

Dempsey wrote: »
    Good signing if it happens but does nothing to address their defensive frailities. Scoring/Creating chances isnt a problem for them

It wasn't really a personnel problem at the back though, apart from the keepers. The same back four were performing very highly before Martinez destroyed their game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I'd reserve judgement on Payet and Pogba until after the Germany game, that will be a proper test for them, and will show us just how good they are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Zlatan is one of the most decorated players in history. A nothing player indeed

Zlatan is one of the most decorated players in history. A nothing player indeed

Sarcasm...

Sarcasm...

No, i think the poster meant what he said.

No, i think the poster meant what he said.

I'll go out on a limb here and assure you he didn't.
    He's comparing Jose dumping Mata to Pep dumping Zlatan.
    Didn't fit the system, it's not that they were bad players.

I don't give a **** about value, age, potential etc. There's nothing better than your club signing an exciting player. An Ortega, a Suarez, a Riquelme, a Cantona etc. United getting Zlatan is signing of the summer IMO irrespective the salary. I'd love to see Liverpool sign someone with his ability, it's just a shame he's not Southampton proven to perk Liverpool's interest

I'll go out on a limb here and assure you he didn't.
    He's comparing Jose dumping Mata to Pep dumping Zlatan.
    Didn't fit the system, it's not that they were bad players.

Go out on a limb all you like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Go out on a limb all you like

Rayne is definitely being facetious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

NIMAN wrote: »
    I'd reserve judgement on Payet and Pogba until after the Germany game, that will be a proper test for them, and will show us just how good they are.

Judging a player on one game is the Eamon Dunphy way of rating players. Both have done enough for club and country over a large sample size to show they are good players

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

According to the media:rolleyes: Lukaku wants talks with Everton after they placed a £75 million price tag on him which ruined a move back to Chelsea.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Oat23 wrote: »
    If Mkhitaryan and his agent had kept their mouth shut in public and acted professionally I can definitely see fans being a lot more upset about it. But after the way they were acting they should be happy to get such a deal, and are. United fans seem to think they are bitter over losing him which is why they are reacting the way they are. But maybe it's because he has been acting like a c*nt? I wonder where BILD got their info that that article that featured texts between Tuchel & Mkhitaryan?

He was never taken in by the fans the same way others were. He cost a lot of money and never showed he was worth it until this past season. I've never felt the relationship between he and the fans was anything similar to how they felt about Hummels, Lewandowski, Kagawa etc.

Fans loved him, at least that's the impression I got reading reddit. But once his agent started throwing toys out then it was different situation.

When there was initial doubts that he won't renew they were not happy as they thought he was not like Hummels, Gotze and loved playing for Dortmund.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Lordy, in a world where the Watford duo are attracting bids of £30 millions and various other silly transfers/valuations, Mata would be great value at £25 millions.

Edit: Mata wants to stay in the area and is Everton bound, should be done this week.

Stones going to City.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

BREAKING: Sky Sources: Swansea to sign Leroy Fer from QPR after agreeing fee of £4.75m

https://twitter.com/SkySportsNewsHQ/status/749916020962430976

So does this make Swansea odds-on to get relegated?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

BREAKING: Sky Sources: Swansea to sign Leroy Fer from QPR after agreeing fee of £4.75m
    The way the transfer market is going... are you sure the decimal point is in the right place there?

£4.75m, does he even have two legs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

https://twitter.com/SkySportsNewsHQ/status/749916020962430976

So does this make Swansea odds-on to get relegated?

That is why they took him on loan first. To see how that relegation thing worked out.
    The didnt go down.

£4.75 million is a steal.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

So Leicester break their record transfer fee to sign Ahmed Musa from CSKA, wonder who will drop out of their starting line up for him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Liamalone wrote: »
    Lordy, in a world where the Watford duo are attracting bids of £30 millions and various other silly transfers/valuations, Mata would be great value at £25 millions.

Edit: Mata wants to stay in the area and is Everton bound, should be done this week.

Stones going to City.

Manchester Evening News reporting that Mata doesn't want to join Everton and is Valencia bound.

I'd say no deal is close yet tbh!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

In France, Blaise Matuidi is being linked with a move to United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Reading have had a £5m bid accepted from Villa for highly rated youngster Aaron Tshibola.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 344 ✭✭Kobe248

Id put money on Benteke being the signing of the season if he moves to Crystal Palace

Just because hes not suited to Liverpool, which many players have caught that curse

Hes a massive talent

For me easily the best of the Belgian strikers

• Advertisement

• Kobe248 wrote: »
    Id put money on Benteke being the signing of the season if he moves to Crystal Palace

Just because hes not suited to Liverpool, which many players have caught that curse

Hes a massive talent

He's had a woeful time @ Liverpool

They should take the money and run because the money Palace are offering is crazy IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Think it would be a great deal for Liverpool, and decent for Palace.

Getting the money back for an expensive flop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Kobe248 wrote: »

Hes a massive talent

Liverpool's style had nothing to do with Benteke missing 1v1's & standing on the 18 yard while the ball was being crossed into the box & being caught offside. To say he is the best Belgium striker is laughable . Also Palace play mostly on the counter not suited to Benteke who hates running. He does have some qualities but getting nearly money back for him is great business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

M!Ck^ wrote: »

They should take the money and run because the money Palace are offering is crazy IMO

Classic case of post Suarez Rodgers not know his arse from his elbow. That said he scored nearly as many league goals in 1100 fewer minutes as Martial did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

If he gets the service and game time he needs, he'll probably grab about 15-20 goals a season.

I'd prefer Lukaku if I was buying a big Belgian lad thats already got the EPL experience but hes over priced by about 35m.

M!Ck^ wrote: »

I agree hes had a woeful time

I think its a good deal for both clubs and the player

Benteke will go to a team that will play to his style

Benteke will get over 15 goals in the league this season

Im certain of it

• Advertisement

MD1990 wrote: »
    Liverpool's style had nothing to do with Benteke missing 1v1's & standing on the 18 yard while the ball was being crossed into the box & being caught offside. To say he is the best Belgium striker is laughable . Also Palace play mostly on the counter not suited to Benteke who hates running. He does have some qualities but getting nearly money back for him is great business.

Aston Villa played very similar to Palace

I have watched every game for the last 10 years

Benteke was never going to be a success because of the players behind him

Coutinho was never going to work with him for example

How often does he cross, great at a through ball though

Through balls however are not Bentekes strength

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Classic case of post Suarez Rodgers not know his arse from his elbow. That said he scored nearly as many league goals in 1100 fewer minutes as Martial did.

Benteke didn't play most of his football on the left wing......

I'm glad a United/Liverpool angle has been identified though, always an absolute joy to read.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Benteke still managed 9 league goals last season where he was clearly out of favour by Christmas. He's a very good striker and I can see why Palace would be interested, he is a proven premier league goal scorer with a 1 in 2 record at Villa.
    The price is pretty good in the current market place too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I honestly believe that if Palace sign him they will not be relegated next year. Obviously they are aiming a little higher than that but still he will get them the goals that will at least keep them clear imo.

• Advertisement
Advertisement