Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer Transfer Window - 2016

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Alright, feck it, I'll ask! Who is Micky Ryan!?

KERSPLAT! wrote: »

Corner forward for Tipp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

KERSPLAT! wrote: »

Henrik Mhikaryian (that may not be the correct spelling)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Mkhitaryan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭OldRio

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

OldRio wrote: »

If you said that three years ago you'd be in a mental institution, footballs amazing lately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Dortmund confirm that Neven Subotic isn't training and is in talks with another club.
    German press reporting he is bound for the PL.
    Naturally, links to Liverpool due to Klopp but earlier in the summer I think he was linked with Sunderland and Stoke, now Arsenal in the last few days too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Jordan Ibe in talks with Bournemouth,fee of £15 million being touted.Wycome will get 15% of any transfer fee.

That fee is just nuts.

zerks wrote: »
    Jordan Ibe in talks with Bournemouth,fee of £15 million being touted.Wycome will get 15% of any transfer fee.

That fee is just nuts.

No its not it's great!
    Anfield HQ ✔
    @AnfieldHQ

Liverpool are in talks to sell Christian Benteke, Jordon Ibe, Martin Skrtel, Sergi Canos and Luis Alberto for a combined £61m. #lfc
    11:36 AM - 7 Jul 2016

No its not it's great!

As the selling club you are delighted but it just shows how even mediocre surplus players are commanding fees of 3 times what they are worth.

At this stage,Jack Wilshere's crutches must be worth £2 million.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I think with Ibe being so young it's not that crazy a price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,745 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Remember last summer when Ibe was better than Sterling?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Forgive me if this is old news but Manchester United supposedly offering £100m for Pogba.... Nuts. Absolutely nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

AdamD wrote: »

No I don't but remind me?

Never get 50m for him!

Ibe never pushed on, and Klopp is clearly sufficiently familiar enough with him now to make a judgement.

That_Guy wrote: »
    Forgive me if this is old news but Manchester United supposedly offering £100m for Pogba.... Nuts. Absolutely nuts.

These days it's worth it with the talent he has,plus if he decides in 2 years to go to Madrid the fee will be about £150 million.

The only galling thing was Fergie letting him go and now United offering a record fee to get him back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

zerks wrote: »
    These days it's worth it with the talent he has,plus if he decides in 2 years to go to Madrid the fee will be about £150 million.

The only galling thing was Fergie letting him go and now United offering a record fee to get him back.

Would he be the player he is now if he had of stayed with United?

Could you imagine him staying under Moyes or LVG?

He is 100% more awesome then when he left United.

Polo_Mint wrote: »
    Would he be the player he is now if he had of stayed with United?

Could you imagine him staying under Moyes or LVG?

He is 100% more awesome then when he left United.

He would have thrived under those 2,Moyes using him as a #10 and pumping 100 crosses a game at him and under LVG playing 150 short sideways passes a game and not being allowed shoot.:P:P

Pity he left but as you say,it was for the best for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Cuz it's United it's nuts.... If it was Real doing it tho everyone be saying how they are in a league of their own and no one can match their spending power etc!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

It's the 80 million of 4 years ago with inflation

If Pogba reaches, Neymar and Bale level it'll be worth it, and to be fair he isn't a whole lot away either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Tomagotchye

100 million would be crazy. Last year with Leicester and say the Kante transfer proved you can get good players for reasonable amounts. With this money you could probably get a bench of good players...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Its only a matter of time before the transfer record is broke again and its more than likely going to be Pogba to somebody.

I assumed PSG but they got an abundance of talent in CM now that they have Krychowiak too.

Given the money in the EPL its not as nuts as it sounds, with every club getting about 90m a year for the TV deal from BT and Skys crazy multi billion pound offers, that is where the madness starts.

Utd are the biggest brand in the league, they can easily afford to spend 100m so why shouldnt they if they have it? if the deal costs about 160m over a five year contract, for FFP, which seems dead in the water anyway, they only need to find 32m a year to cover Pogba, chump change to Utd.

Theres probably only 4 teams in the league that can afford him but would he join any of those sides if Real or Barca were interested is another matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

100 million would be crazy. Last year with Leicester and say the Kante transfer proved you can get good players for reasonable amounts. With this money you could probably get a bench of good players...

Leicesters miraculous season should not be the barometer in football

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Cuz it's United it's nuts.... If it was Real doing it tho everyone be saying how they are in a league of their own and no one can match their spending power etc!

Real didn't let him go for nothing tho. Juve are in a good spot here with 2 teams potentially blowing €120m on him. Somehow they are the only team being linked with Kante then after his season & euros that is confusing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

I think a lot of people saw the potential for him to be better. He is fast , has skill and has a football brain and his head is screwed onto his shoulders.
    He needs a lot of game time to develope and klopp might not be able to guarantee it so LFC have decided to sell him on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

It's funny how all mostly A.B.U's see issue with the fee. It would make think United would be better off to go spend the money on Raheem Sterling and Troy Deeney!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

I don't think the Real example helps your argument here at all.

If it was Real they wouldn't have let him go for almost nothing. They'd have sold him and put a buy back clause in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Leicesters miraculous season should not be the barometer in football
    He is not talking about their season, he is talking about a player they bought.

Kante was a bargain, Payet for West Ham was a bargain too at under £11 million. Not many looked at Andre Ayew on a free and he joined Swansea. There are plenty of bargains out there. Those are the three that stand out to me from a year ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,313 ✭✭✭munster87

ASOT wrote: »
    If you said that three years ago you'd be in a mental institution, footballs amazing lately.

About 6 or 7 years ago I still would have said he's not good enough for Boro

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

It's funny how all mostly A.B.U's see issue with the fee. It would make think United would be better off to go spend the money on Raheem Sterling and Troy Deeney!
    I haven't even mentioned anything about this yet but calling people ABU's is ridiculous.

To me it's a ridiculous title. Many years ago when United were dominating the league there were people who would rather anybody but United won a game. These people move along to the next club to dominate things. You only have to look in any thread about Barcelona to see that.

I don't think there are many ABU's today. United haven't won the league title since 2012/13 and have only one league title and one other trophy in the last five years.

As far as Pogba and his worth goes. It doesn't surprise me that he would cost north of £100 million with what he has done over the past few seasons. The only thing that would concern me is whether he can do his thing in the Premier league due to the ridiculous pace games are played at. In Italy he got time on the ball that he won't get in England. Imo he has a better chance to do his thing in Spain so Real Madrid or Barca would be the sensible options for him I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Forgive me if this is old news but Manchester United supposedly offering 100m for Pogba.... Nuts. Absolutely nuts.

The thing is a lot of the clubs well big ones in England can go toe to toe with real Madrid in terms of fees.
    Utd , City , Chelsea can certainly give them a run and also the clubs a little less richer like Liverpool , Arsenal and Spurs could also give them a run.
    The Spanish league is a Twp horse race and well they get all the money for TV rights. A lot of the big clubs in the premier league the most supported ones if they went out on their own for tv rights they would make a fortune also.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

United last season brought in around £240/$310+ million from sponsors, paying €120 million for Pogba is easily affordable for United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

I haven't heard juvenile ****e like "ABU" thrown around for a while now, was hoping it had disappeared. Guess I was wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

You're making an issue from something that isn't there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    I don't think the Real example helps your argument here at all.

If it was Real they wouldn't have let him go for almost nothing. They'd have sold him and put a buy back clause in there.

Kinda hard to insert a buy back clause to a player who isn't under contract and wasn't sold.

• Advertisement

So Messi to Chelsea on 800k a week is being rumoured. As mad as it sound it would probably be a brilliant deal for Chelsea if it were to happen. IMO pigs will fly before it does but you just never know in the crazy world of football.

Jayop wrote: »
    So Messi to Chelsea on 800k a week is being rumoured. As mad as it sound it would probably be a brilliant deal for Chelsea if it were to happen. IMO pigs will fly before it does but you just never know in the crazy world of football.

Nah, he and his father are only looking for tax avoidance information from Abramovich. Nothing to see here.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Nah, he and his father are only looking for tax avoidance information from Abramovich. Nothing to see here.

In the unlikely event that it were to happen for the proposed wages and I'm sure a rather large transfer fee would you be of the same view as me that it would still be an unreal deal for Chelsea, especially given he's now retired from international.

Him signing would transform Chelsea's sponsorship negotiations, he'd sell a billion Chelsea shirts, and tbf he's not a bad footballer either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Kinda hard to insert a buy back clause to a player who isn't under contract and wasn't sold.

That was the point of my post. Real wouldn't have let that happen.
    Thus wouldn't need to spend €120m to buy him back.

MrMac picked the wrong club to use as an example.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

It's the 80 million of 4 years ago with inflation

If Pogba reaches, Neymar and Bale level it'll be worth it, and to be fair he isn't a whole lot away either.

The lad isn't even the most important midfielder for his club. He has moments of brilliance but needs a tonne of coaching from a top level coach who has proven themselves to be able to develop young players into being true world class footballers. He's not at Neymar or Bale level and his path to that level is no dead cert. 100 million is a ridiculous price no matter the clubs involved or the situation. Gundogan is a far more complete and proven footballer and he's moved in just across the city for a fraction of the price (last year of his contract but even if he wasn't his price tag still wouldn't have been near 100 million.)

• Advertisement

In the unlikely event that it were to happen for the proposed wages and I'm sure a rather large transfer fee would you be of the same view as me that it would still be an unreal deal for Chelsea, especially given he's now retired from international.

Him signing would transform Chelsea's sponsorship negotiations, he'd sell a billion Chelsea shirts, and tbf he's not a bad footballer either.

It would be an exceptional transfer but I just cant see him leaving Barca until and if he wants a return to Argentina, which looks doubtful given the mixed reaction he can get there from the fans and media a like.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

So Real would have forced him to sign a contract he didn't want to sign?

How would they not have let it happen? We had him on a youth contract. There's limits to how long you can extend them and for the last year we tried to get him signed up to a new contract but he wouldn't sign because his agent wanted a pay day. There's no money for the agents in one club players.

Madrid, like United had no say in the matter. The reason given for him leaving was that he wasn't getting game time. That was rubbish, it was money, but even if it was game time do you think he'd have been starting for Madrid at 17?

Considering Madrid have about 7 of the top 10 transfers in history I'd say your assumptions are all skewey.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 344 ✭✭Kobe248

The lad isn't even the most important midfielder for his club. He has moments of brilliance but needs a tonne of coaching from a top level coach who has proven themselves to be able to develop young players into being true world class footballers. He's not at Neymar or Bale level and his path to that level is no dead cert. 100 million is a ridiculous price no matter the clubs involved or the situation. Gundogan is a far more complete and proven footballer and he's moved in just across the city for a fraction of the price (last year of his contract but even if he wasn't his price tag still wouldn't have been near 100 million.)

Cant agree with you here

Pogba is far above Gundogan currently and with the potential to get to the top

He is easily the most important midfielder at Juventus

Pogba isnt far from Neymar or Bale

Hes not near Messi/Suarez/Ronaldo/Iniesta/Zlatan level yet

But hes very close to Neymar/Bale

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Kobe248 wrote: »
    Try asking a Juventus fan that - the answers will be mixed, certainly not as clear cut as what you said. Marchisio is easily as vital to that team as Pogba. But then it's like saying who's more important to Liverpool in 08/09 for example, Alonso or Gerrard - different roles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,745 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Neymar and Bale are probably ahead of Zlatan at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Kobe248 wrote: »
    Cant agree with you here

Pogba is far above Gundogan currently and with the potential to get to the top

Pogba isnt far from Neymar or Bale

Hes not near Messi/Suarez/Ronaldo/Iniesta/Zlatan level yet

But hes very close to Neymar/Bale

I'm not sold on him yet as a top level player. No doubting his talent and potential with the physique he has. StI'll it's just flashes though, and I absolutely believe he's far too prone to flash for the sake of flash rather than making good, simple decisions. Again I feel that with the right coach he can become one of the best.

On the other hand Gundogan's ceiling isn't as high as Pogba's but he's a magnificent player capable of controlling top level games in a way I've not really yet seen from Pogba. Chances are you might see a nice contrast tonight between Toni Kroos (another player with a lower ceiling than Pogba but who makes the most of his talent and has benefited from excellent coaching) and Pogba.

For me at least, he's not near Neymar or Bale at present.

Try asking a Juventus fan that - the answers will be mixed, certainly not as clear cut as what you said. Marchisio is easily as vital to that team as Pogba. But then it's like saying who's more important to Liverpool in 08/09 for example, Alonso or Gerrard - different roles.

Marchisio will be used as hes home grown

Ask a Roma fan who was the most important for them and they will say De Rossi not Pjanic for example

In Italy they will always pick one of there own as favourites and Ill use the word "exaggerate" there importance

Pogba is far better and more important to them

I'm not sold on him yet as a top level player. No doubting his talent and potential with the physique he has. StI'll it's just flashes though, and I absolutely believe he's far too prone to flash for the sake of flash rather than making good, simple decisions. Again I feel that with the right coach he can become one of the best.

On the other hand Gundogan's ceiling isn't as high as Pogba's but he's a magnificent player capable of controlling top level games in a way I've not really yet seen from Pogba. Chances are you might see a nice contrast tonight between Toni Kroos (another player with a lower ceiling than Pogba but who makes the most of his talent and has benefited from excellent coaching) and Pogba.

For me at least, he's not near Neymar or Bale at present.

I think because hes flash people are more inclined to underrate him

Weve seen the adoration Balotelli gets and this I feel has rubbed off negatively on how peoples perception of Pogba

I couldnt care how flashy he is

At his age he dominates more games than doesnt

I consider Gundogan a poor mans Kroos

Hes a bit more attacking but I have watched Dortmund in flesh for the last two years and I think hes decent but not Pogba level

I consider him second tier star with the potential to surpass the guys at top

Bale/Neymar are second tier stars for me the one who has made the jump in the last season to top tier is Griezmann

Neymar and Bale are probably ahead of Zlatan at present.

There not

• Advertisement
Advertisement