Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer Transfer Window - 2016

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Kobe248 wrote: »
    I think because hes flash people are more inclined to underrate him

Weve seen the adoration Balotelli gets and this I feel has rubbed off negatively on how peoples perception of Pogba

I couldnt care how flashy he is

At his age he dominates more games than doesnt

I consider Gundogan a poor mans Kroos

Hes a bit more attacking but I have watched Dortmund in flesh for the last two years and I think hes decent but not Pogba level

I consider him second tier star with the potential to surpass the guys at top

Bale/Neymar are second tier stars for me the one who has made the jump in the last season to top tier is Griezmann

I'd say the very opposite. I think people see gifs of him banging in a goal from 30 yards and everyone assumes he's world class, they don't see the next 5/6 games where he isn't doing some of the basic things a midfielder should be doing which gives a coach like Deschamps hesitation to not play him in a 2 man midfield.

I've got a lot of love for Gundogan, for me, he's been the best signing made in the PL so far this Summer.

Not sure about that second tier stuff at all, it's probably a debate for a different place but Neymar, after Messi, is the next best player in the world, he's absolutely first tier and certainly ahead of Ibrahimovic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

So Real would have forced him to sign a contract he didn't want to sign?

Real wouldn't have left him playing for the reserves while Rafael and Park play in Midfield ahead of him.
    If they didn't think he was up to first team they'd either loan or sell him to another club before his contract runs out but insist on a reasonable buy back clause in the deal.
    Like we've seen with Morata, Carvajal , Casemiro , Negredo, Granero probably more I cant think of right now.

When players leave Real Madrid it is usually on Reals terms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Saw most of Juventus's games last season. Pogba is a very good player. But his decision making has to improve & tries too many tricks & difficult passes. He has improved defensively quite a bit under Allegri though. Pogba was terrible at the start of last season too but when Juve found form he was outstanding. He still can be inconsistent.

He is overrated though because of how spectacular some of his goals are but has never matched Vidal's numbers when at Juve. Pjanic already signed for 25m too which is the signing of the summer & Juve have already overcome bigger loses in Tevez & Vidal(past his best though). €120 is insane money for him considering he scored 8 league goals last season & still inconsistent too. I think Pjanic is probably a better player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I don't want to be pointing out the obvious here but I feel if Barca hijack this deal now some people would change their tune completely and Pogba would be the finest midfielder in the land

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

I don't want to be pointing out the obvious here but I feel if Barca hijack this deal now some people would change their tune completely and Pogba would be the finest midfielder in the land

Save my quote, if that happens you'll have my unfiltered view of Pogba which, at this moment, isn't likely to change. Very good player, hugely overrated, potential to be one of the best but desperately needs to work under the right coach.

Marchisio will be used as hes home grown

Ask a Roma fan who was the most important for them and they will say De Rossi not Pjanic for example

In Italy they will always pick one of there own as favourites and Ill use the word "exaggerate" there importance

Pogba is far better and more important to them
    Lol any Roma fan will tell you De Rossi has been past it for years. Pjanic & Nainngolan far more important.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

There is no justifying that Pogba fee. For that money you expect the finished article, he is a very good player though who could go on to be a great one.

If Real Madrid are serious about a deal, you would have to rate United's chances of signing him as very slim. Madrid are just in another league not to mention the European Champions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

rob316 wrote: »
    There is no justifying that Pogba fee. For that money you expect the finished article, he is a very good player though who could go on to be a great one.

If Real Madrid are serious about a deal, you would have to rate United's chances of signing him as very slim. Madrid are just in another league not to mention the European Champions.

United have a sh*t load of money to spend on a player. Juventus want a sh*t load of money for their player... There... Justified.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 344 ✭✭Kobe248

I'd say the very opposite. I think people see gifs of him banging in a goal from 30 yards and everyone assumes he's world class, they don't see the next 5/6 games where he isn't doing some of the basic things a midfielder should be doing which gives a coach like Deschamps hesitation to not play him in a 2 man midfield.

I've got a lot of love for Gundogan, for me, he's been the best signing made in the PL so far this Summer.

Not sure about that second tier stuff at all, it's probably a debate for a different place but Neymar, after Messi, is the next best player in the world, he's absolutely first tier and certainly ahead of Ibrahimovic.

Deschamps is a joke of a coach

He dropped Griezmann for christ sakes

How are you using his decisions as a marker

I dont see it in Gundogan, guess well agree to disagree on it

I certainly dont agree with you on Neymar and I love him

But hes not near Ronaldo never mind Messi and definitly isnt ahead of Zlatan or Suarez

• Advertisement

MD1990 wrote: »
    Lol any Roma fan will tell you De Rossi has been past it for years. Pjanic & Nainngolan far more important.

They wont though

An outsider will

But a Roma fan will never say it

To them Totti and De Rossi are the most important players on the team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

If United win the league this season, nobody will care too much about the transfer fee. Pogba's star isn't at its brightest in the Irish public's eye right now because he hasn't had the greatest of Euros and most people don't watch that many Serie A games or Juve Champions League games, but he is an outstanding player, possibly the best in the Premier League right now (although Aguero and Sanchez wouldn't take kindly to that statement), definitely the player in the Premier League with the highest amount of potential.

He would be unreal signing but I don't understand why he is joining United in a year where they don't have Champions League. I get that money is a thing and he will be paid very well for doing just that, but players like Pogba get paid exceptionally well wherever they decide to play. Waiting a year to move was surely also an option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

They wont though

An outsider will

But a Roma fan will never say it

To them Totti and De Rossi are the most important players on the team

The most revered perhaps. There weren't many Roma fans complaining when Totti was a bench player for the majority of the last season. Most important? No, not even close, not even to a Roma fan. And Totti is God in Rome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I'm not sold on him yet as a top level player. No doubting his talent and potential with the physique he has. StI'll it's just flashes though, and I absolutely believe he's far too prone to flash for the sake of flash rather than making good, simple decisions. Again I feel that with the right coach he can become one of the best.

On the other hand Gundogan's ceiling isn't as high as Pogba's but he's a magnificent player capable of controlling top level games in a way I've not really yet seen from Pogba. Chances are you might see a nice contrast tonight between Toni Kroos (another player with a lower ceiling than Pogba but who makes the most of his talent and has benefited from excellent coaching) and Pogba.

For me at least, he's not near Neymar or Bale at present.
    Gundogan is comparable to Pogba but not nearly as good.

Kroos is a different type of player but a great one.

Now Kroos and Pogba together would be pretty awesome.

The most revered perhaps. There weren't many Roma fans complaining when Totti was a bench player for the majority of the last season. Most important? No, not even close, not even to a Roma fan. And Totti is God in Rome.

Are you serious

They were outraged over him being on the bench

As I said, as a outsider you might think they would think other players to be more important

But it isnt there way of thinking

eagle eye wrote: »
    Gundogan is comparable to Pogba but not nearly as good.

Kroos is a different type of player but a great one.

Now Kroos and Pogba together would be pretty awesome.

Whats funny is Kroos and Pogba would be class

But I dont think its a improvement on Modric/Kroos/Casemerio

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Can see Madrid paying up eventually. That's how football works

Unearthly wrote: »
    Can see Madrid paying up eventually. That's how football works

Given they've a ban on the way, I think they'd be nuts not to. It's not entirely impossible that Pogba's agent is using the United deal to force Real's hand but we'll know either way very soon after France go out I suspect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Fans moaning or having faux outrage over another team paying large amounts of money for a player is great to watch.

Utd arent potentially spending 50m on Bebe Mark II, this is a player that would be a huge coup for any team and puts them on another level.

I'd have serious envy of Utd or any other EPL if they signed Pogba, would I care about the price tag as an opposition, no, I'd only worry how he'd be performing for his new team and how it would effect my own teams chances of silverware/top 4/top 6.

I'd love if Chelsea coughed up the money for Pogba, I cant see it happening it at all but it would be a great signing and a big upgrade on what we currently have and that goes for any of the sides in the EPL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

CSF wrote: »
    Given they've a ban on the way, I think they'd be nuts not to. It's not entirely impossible that Pogba's agent is using the United deal to force Real's hand but we'll know either way very soon after France go out I suspect.

Exactly.

Pogba wants to go to Madrid.

Madrid 99/100 get the player they want.

Money is realistically not an option for them.

There are 3 possible outcomes.

He stays at Juve, he joins Madrid or he signs for United, the last being least likely, no matter the money involved.

We have been used as a bargaining chip all to often to think anything else tbh.

Exactly.

Pogba wants to go to Madrid.

Madrid 99/100 get the player they want.

Money is realistically not an option for them.

There are 3 possible outcomes.

He stays at Juve, he joins Madrid or he signs for United, the last being least likely, no matter the money involved.

We have been used as a bargaining chip all to often to think anything else tbh.

We don't know for certain Real are willing to pay for Pogba. From what I can tell if they don't, then United have a real chance, which still surprises me, but I think that's how it is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

We don't know for certain Real are willing to pay for Pogba. From what I can tell if they don't, then United have a real chance, which still surprises me, but I think that's how it is.

They will sell Morata (sp) and one of Kroos or James to fund it.

Like most modern transfers it wouldn't be the full amount up front.

Madrid love a fanfare signing and there is nobody really that would be available that fits that bill IMO.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Fans moaning or having faux outrage over another team paying large amounts of money for a player is great to watch.

Utd arent potentially spending 50m on Bebe Mark II, this is a player that would be a huge coup for any team and puts them on another level.

I'd have serious envy of Utd or any other EPL if they signed Pogba, would I care about the price tag as an opposition, no, I'd only worry how he'd be performing for his new team and how it would effect my own teams chances of silverware/top 4/top 6.

I'd love if Chelsea coughed up the money for Pogba, I cant see it happening it at all but it would be a great signing and a big upgrade on what we currently have and that goes for any of the sides in the EPL.
    No faux outrage. Just questioning paying crazy money(100m) for a very talented but inconsistent player who they sold for 800k 4 years ago as Ferguson preferred to play Rafael in midfield instead.

I really wouldn't use the word inconsistent to describe Pogba. That is insane. I don't think the fact that Fergie screwed up with Pogba really has any bearing on United signing him back now.

I'd also question if Pogba would be as good as he is now if he'd stayed in England.

• MD1990 wrote: »
    No faux outrage. Just questioning paying crazy money(100m) for a very talented but inconsistent player who they sold for 800k 4 years ago as Ferguson preferred to play Rafael in midfield instead.

I'd say the majority of utd fans don't give two ****s if he delivers the goods on the pitch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

AdamD wrote: »
    Neymar and Bale are probably ahead of Zlatan at present.

There not

Zlatan isn't even the best striker in the city of Manchester , that would be Aguero.

Messi , Ronaldo , Suarez , Neymar and Bale are the top 5 players in the world currently

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Zlatan isn't even the best striker in the city of Manchester , that would be Aguero.

Messi , Ronaldo , Suarez , Neymar and Bale are the top 5 players in the world currently

Messi - 29
    Ronaldo - 31
    Suarez - 29
    Neymar - 24
    Bale - 27 (next week)

You'd expect that Ronaldo will soon start to slip from the top 5, Messi and Suarez probably have another 2/3 odd seasons each at their peak.

Who will be the next batch pf players who will inherit that title?

Agreed btw, Ageuro is class. I was going to argue with you that he's missed too much football recently a'la Sturridge to be considered top class, but looking at the stats he's actually played plenty of games and scored in most of them. Aguero would tear la liga or the Bundisliga apart and would probably be scoring 50+ goals a season. He's averaged 25 goals in the lasty 2 PL seasons and I can't see Zlatan at his age doing that.

@jayop

The players that stand out to me the most would be Pogba no reason or explanation needed , Renato Sanches some people might not agree but I think he will become a world beater , Martial if he keep improving the way he has done reminds me of henry a lot , Emre Can some people might call me mad but I think he is going to develope into a special player it shows how highly rated he is when it came to selling him Bayer Leverkusen sold him to Liverpool for peanuts before Munich could use their buy back clause.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Guillem Ballague saying:
    "The problem is Real Madrid feel the kind of money that Manchester United is willing to pay for him is crazy and they cannot match it."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Is this a statement of fact? No room for Kroos, Vidal, Lewandoski or Griezmann?

I'd have Griezmann in the top four.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Best scenario for Utd would be Madrid getting Pogba and they get Kroos who is a better and more consistent player in my opinion.

The money mentioned is crazy and people talk about him reaching the level of naymar/bale it be worth it but those type of players contribute a ridiculous amount of goals/assists where pigs is never likely to as he not that type of player

• Advertisement

Well they would be my top 5 and I'm sure a lot of people will agree with me on them as well each to their own and all that.

When did people suddenly decide Kroos was better than Pogba? I'd never even seen that remotely implied before United went in for him.

When did people suddenly decide Kroos was better than Pogba? I'd never even seen that remotely implied before United went in for him.

Most people probably don't know who is better. Personally I wouldn't have a clue. Don't follow Italian football at all these days and very little Spanish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,796 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

RobertKK wrote: »
    Guillem Ballague saying:
    "The problem is Real Madrid feel the kind of money that Manchester United is willing to pay for him is crazy and they cannot match it."
    Ballague is an idiot, don't listen to anything he says.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

MD1990 wrote: »

Wrong.

What has Aguero done to be proclaimed the top striker anywhere

We will agree to disagree

I dont think Neymar and Bale are top tier just yet

Its easy for people to pick Real/Barca players

I agree 100% Griezmann is the one that made the jump last year

Whats funny when talking about the best players is and Im guilty of this aswell

We over look the Bonucci/Boateng/Pepe/Buffon/Neurs of the world

Its easy for people to pick Real/Barca players

I agree 100% Griezmann is the one that made the jump last year

Whats funny when talking about the best players is and Im guilty of this aswell

We over look the Bonucci/Boateng/Pepe/Buffon/Neurs of the world

Whatever about defenders, where do Boateng and Pepe come into the discussion?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,745 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Kroos has won two champions-leagues and a world cup, also running this semi final. It's hardly a crazy opinion. Two very different players anyway so hard to judge.

• Advertisement

AdamD wrote: »
    Kroos has won two champions-leagues and a world cup, also running this semi final. It's hardly a crazy opinion. Two very different players anyway so hard to judge.

Discussing the trophies that players have won as part of a team in an individual discussion is nonsense. Arbeloa, the greatest defender of all time.

Whatever about defenders, where do Boateng and Pepe come into the discussion?

I consider Boateng the best defender in the world

Pepe for me would be top 5

I consider Boateng the best defender in the world

Pepe for me would be top 5

Ok my opinion would be different to that, no point in a yes he is, no he isn't discussion really so leave it at that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭OldRio

Middlesbrough FC want to make Borussia Dortmund defender Neven Subotic their next signing after completing a deal for ex-Barcelona goalkeeper Victor Valdes.

It seems Boro are in advance talks. If it comes off that would be their sixth signing before the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

100 million for Pogba. Please no.

Discussing the trophies that players have won as part of a team in an individual discussion is nonsense. Arbeloa, the greatest defender of all time.

Yeah because it's not totally disingenuous to compare a conservative right back and Germany/Bayerns (when he was there) best midfielder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

That would be a fantastic signing for Middlesboro wouldn't mind him at Arsenal let alone Boro

Ok my opinion would be different to that, no point in a yes he is, no he isn't discussion really so leave it at that.

Thats cool

I dont try force my opinion on people tbh

Or I try not :o

Yeah because it's not totally disingenuous to compare a conservative right back and Germany/Bayerns (when he was there) best midfielder.

It is, but that was kind of the point. The argument was not that Arbeloa is better than Kroos, just that trophies won as part of a team does not gauge individual brilliance.

With 2 European Championships, a World Cup, 2 Champions League, a La Liga and a Copa Del Rey, I figure Arbeloa was the best example to articulate that. Probably the best example of a good but not spectacular player having a spectacular trophy haul that there is.

It is, but that was kind of the point. The argument was not that Arbeloa is better than Kroos, just that trophies won as part of a team does not gauge individual brilliance.

With 2 European Championships, a World Cup, 2 Champions League, a La Liga and a Copa Del Rey, I figure Arbeloa was the best example to articulate that. Probably the best example of a good but not spectacular player having a spectacular trophy haul that there is.

It's not a good way to judge players no, but you know full well that Kroos played a massive part in all of those wins, so you're being obtuse for the sake of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Now antoine griezmann you would pay 100m for.

• Advertisement
Advertisement